The age we live in... depressed.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The "Electronic" and "Quick Stop" have been on Stihl saws since the late 70's or early 80's.

Fancy-schmancy words for "electronic ignition" and "inertia induced chain brake".

Gary

Yes, and other brands did the same, often earlier, without putting fancy names on it......

I’ve been thinkin’ about a top handle saw for trimming and light work. Yesterday I happened to be driving by my favorite local Stihl dealer, and stopped to fondle… and now I’m depressed. I know it’s the age we live in, but is necessary to hang gadgetry on everything? C’mon… Easy2Start, IntelliCarb, M-Tronic, QuickStop Plus, and my personal number one on the crap list, “Reduced-Emission Engine Technology - Caring for Nature”… makes me wanna’ puke. I don’t want any gadgetry on my machines; gadgets break, wear-out, and just flat fail… and electronic versions of gadgets are the worst. Gadgets add unnecessary weight, bulk and complication; What happened to small package, low weight simplicity? It’s the age we live in; younger people have grown-up with it, aren’t happy unless their “stuff” has it, and worst of all they’ll pay extra for it because they somehow think gadgetry makes something better.

I guess I bought my last new saw 20 years ago.

2 thoughts on this whole thing.

1 - the damn heat must have everyone all riled up today.

2 - you sound just like my dad about gadgetry and extras - wouldn't buy a truck unless he could get it HIS way - and this meant no ac, no power windows or locks, vinyl seats and rubber floor...said everything else would just cost more money when it broke. The funny thing was though as he was getting older we would catch him riding around in my mom's car when it was really hot outside and he had the ac cranking.

I’ve been thinkin’ about a top handle saw for trimming and light work. Yesterday I happened to be driving by my favorite local Stihl dealer, and stopped to fondle… and now I’m depressed. I know it’s the age we live in, but is necessary to hang gadgetry on everything? C’mon… Easy2Start, IntelliCarb, M-Tronic, QuickStop Plus, and my personal number one on the crap list, “Reduced-Emission Engine Technology - Caring for Nature”… makes me wanna’ puke. I don’t want any gadgetry on my machines; gadgets break, wear-out, and just flat fail… and electronic versions of gadgets are the worst. Gadgets add unnecessary weight, bulk and complication; What happened to small package, low weight simplicity? It’s the age we live in; younger people have grown-up with it, aren’t happy unless their “stuff” has it, and worst of all they’ll pay extra for it because they somehow think gadgetry makes something better.

I guess I bought my last new saw 20 years ago.

They but electric start in chainsaws back in the 60's now its old school.

Didn't read most posts in this thread, don't really want to. All I have to say is, things change!! always have, always will. If you don't change you'll be left behind with your head still in the sand and you'll never learn anything new. AKA you're happy and oddly enough proud of being dumb. My .02

Wonder if they thought that same thing when they first put a motor on a saw.

Reminds me of the old joke about the guy who bought one of the first chainsaws. Salesman say to him he'll be able to cut wood 10 times faster with the new contraption. Guy likes the sound of that, buys one, and spends the next week with it in the forest. Absolutely busts his azz but can't cut even as much as with his trusty double-bitted ax. Brings it back to the salesman and complains. Salesman says something must be wrong with it, gives the pull starter a yank, saws fires up and the customer screams "Where the hell did all that noise come from?!!!!" :laugh:

You don't have to buy the "advanced crap" if you don't want to. The choice of chainsaws is limitless and yours. Manufactures must develop new technologies, buzzwords and face lifts if they want to sell. The worst part is, they can't just put out the awesomest perfect machine, because they wouldn't sell anything else and nobody would buy a new one. They must cripple their low range products to be price competitive on one end, and make you pay for the sweet stuff. Like cars that have all the wiring and support for cruise control but leave out a $10 handle to operate it for example. And most manufacturers have known issues that could be solved rather easily, but you need to make money on spare parts, maintenance, and you need to be able to make a better model in 2 years.

New stuff on chainsaws will bring progress. Lower consumption is good. Lower emissions are good. Less vibes are good. Autotuning is good. Yes, it all has its downsides, and everything is not for every one. Some things are going user friendly at a cost for the die-hard enthusiasts having the chance to tinker with details. But the die-hard enthusiast will adapt, and in time you will maybe be able to chip-tune your chainsaw haha.

What kind of car do you drive? Do you have air conditioning? ABS? Servo steering? Airbags? Seat belts and lights at least? All of that is useless, a car without all that nonsense will get you from point A to point B just the same. Just a bunch of gadgets that add weight, they make your car slower, they make it harder to maintain and more likely to brake down. But we are progressing and the oh-so-complicated cars are faster, more economic, reliable and comfortable and affordable then they used to be.

Didn't read most posts in this thread, don't really want to. All I have to say is, things change!! always have, always will. If you don't change you'll be left behind with your head still in the sand and you'll never learn anything new. AKA you're happy and oddly enough proud of being dumb. My .02

Well I guess that's me right there!LOL

I think I've got my chainsaw needs covered for the rest of my lifetime, so I don't really care how screwed up they get from here on.

Mike

Well I guess that's me right there!LOL

I think I've got my chainsaw needs covered for the rest of my lifetime, so I don't really care how screwed up they get from here on.

Mike

Come on now I didn't mean you!! + I have my stash of non epa saws as well.:cool2:

On a side note. Understanding all things helps us resolve issues, the 7910 is an example of this.:cheers:

You don't have to buy the "advanced crap" if you don't want to. The choice of chainsaws is limitless and yours. Manufactures must develop new technologies, buzzwords and face lifts if they want to sell. The worst part is, they can't just put out the awesomest perfect machine, because they wouldn't sell anything else and nobody would buy a new one. They must cripple their low range products to be price competitive on one end, and make you pay for the sweet stuff. Like cars that have all the wiring and support for cruise control but leave out a $10 handle to operate it for example. And most manufacturers have known issues that could be solved rather easily, but you need to make money on spare parts, maintenance, and you need to be able to make a better model in 2 years.

New stuff on chainsaws will bring progress. Lower consumption is good. Lower emissions are good. Less vibes are good. Autotuning is good. Yes, it all has its downsides, and everything is not for every one. Some things are going user friendly at a cost for the die-hard enthusiasts having the chance to tinker with details. But the die-hard enthusiast will adapt, and in time you will maybe be able to chip-tune your chainsaw haha.

What kind of car do you drive? Do you have air conditioning? ABS? Servo steering? Airbags? Seat belts and lights at least? All of that is useless, a car without all that nonsense will get you from point A to point B just the same. Just a bunch of gadgets that add weight, they make your car slower, they make it harder to maintain and more likely to brake down. But we are progressing and the oh-so-complicated cars are faster, more economic, reliable and comfortable and affordable then they used to be.

Dream on!!!
We had cars in the 50's getting 30 mpg and in the late 70's we had cars getting 50+mpg.
Now it seems we are working hard to get back over the 40mpg barrier.
Yeah, we've come a long way Baby!!!

Mike

Dream on!!!
We had cars in the 50's getting 30 mpg and in the late 70's we had cars getting 50+mpg.

Mike

Take into consideration the standard to measure MPG's has change quite a bit over the years. I know my L6 74 Buick never got over 17 MPG.:msp_razz:

Dream on!!!

Mike

Hm, my car does 40MPG, is a decent size station wagon with air conditioning, all the silly electronic help for driving, 10 airbags and i bought it for less then $4k. And i made that 4k as a student without a regular job. 50 MPG is not uncommon around here.

Greetings from Europe

Hm, my car does 40MPG, is a decent size station wagon with air conditioning, all the silly electronic help for driving, 10 airbags and i bought it for less then $4k. And i made that 4k as a student without a regular job. 50 MPG is not uncommon around here.

Greetings from Europe

Diesel I assume?? Most people here don't like Diesels and the auto makers don't push them like they do in Europe. On top of that we have soccer moms the must drive AWD 8 mpg 7 passenger SUV's around the city with one to two people in it 99% of the time. :dizzy:

OMG!!!
I’m LMAO right now. I went back and read the posts from WoodHeatWarrior again and now I think I understand what he’s sayin’ about the IntelliCarb… and I sort’a feel like a fool. If I’ve got this correct, Stihl has routed the needle diaphragm vent away from open atmosphere and placed somewhere internal and downstream from the air filter (like the bowl vent on a Tecumseh) and gave it the buzz word “IntelliCarb”.

Is that what you’ve been tryin’ to tell me WoodHeatWarrior? Too damn funny!
Well, if’n I have that correct I can live with the IntelliCarb as long as it has both low and high adjustable metering screws… But I remain unconvinced about the M-Tronic.

OMG!!!
I’m LMAO right now. I went back and read the posts from WoodHeatWarrior again and now I think I understand what he’s sayin’ about the IntelliCarb… and I sort’a feel like a fool. If I’ve got this correct, Stihl has routed the needle diaphragm vent away from open atmosphere and placed somewhere internal and downstream from the air filter (like the bowl vent on a Tecumseh) and gave it the buzz word “IntelliCarb”.

Is that what you’ve been tryin’ to tell me WoodHeatWarrior? Too damn funny!
Well, if’n I have that correct I can live with the IntelliCarb as long as it has both low and high adjustable metering screws… But I remain unconvinced about the M-Tronic.

Ignorance almost always = fear. You learned about what you once feared, therefor you're more accepting of it. Now lets work on the M tronic bit. The system in the M tronic is a simple feedback loop, it looks for the best rpm under load and adjusts accordingly. Too much fuel the rpm's drop, not enough fuel rpm's drop. Fuel volume is controlled by a solenoid, all other electronics are solid state.

What gets me about the OP is that he went on a rant about technology he obviously knew nothing about, undermining everything he had to say. The fact is, most of these technologies are VERY simple, reliable, and valuable to the user.

And I have little understanding for the whole anti-technology mentality. The items that you think are old school, were no doubt once considered cutting edge not so long ago. Electronics in cars are nothing less than amazing. Mike, are you really trying to argue that the average efficiency of vehicles is no better than it was in 1970? I think the examples you gave were likely exceptions rather than the norm. Computer managed engine controls are a significant reason that engines last as long as they do. They simply run that much more cleanly and efficiently. Is new equipment more difficult to work on? It all depends on your training and tools. It takes new tools and training than what it took a few decades ago. Once you have those, it's really not so complicated. It's just more specialized.

Everybody cries about new technology! If you dont like it there are many saws out there that dont have the new technology. Old school saws still exist up to non stratified saws.

What will strike you pretty quick with the new platform Stihls is how fuel efficient they are.

Whether you dog in with a 7000 RPM ProMac or the first M-tronic MS461 that emerges in the U.S., remember low tech stuff like wear a helmet and plan an escape route and use it. Walk then run.

Back