the all aussie dribble thread!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A 661 from the US is approx $1200. Plus shipping $150 US. That's $1722 aus and ya hope you don't get picked up on import duty.
My dealer could slip my one for $1900 for not much problem.
Is it worth it?
When 660's where 1999 we where selling them for 1750 and where buying additional bars and chains etc. btw the ms660 have a $300 cash back till they run out too

17 Remington. Originally just wanted either an old 223 or 17rem for a donor rifle/action to re-barrel to 20-223 for something different and practical, i.e. 20 Practical ;)

Found this one and researched old Tikka's and liked what I found and that it isn't a cheap Sako. Original Tikka.
http://usedguns.com.au/Product.aspx?p=49344 I asked him to throw in the bag in the picture and his 17 cal cleaning gear which he agreed. Came scoped with dies, 78 loaded rounds, another 40 new brass, 40 20gr Z-max pills, 20 round belt carry box plus 50 and 100 round boxes. I didn't haggle further and said I'd take it (for $800).
I then asked what did he want for it. He says he'd take $700... umm yeah ok I say. I'd already agreed on 800 but he haggled me down lol
He then threw in a decent bipod.

Take away all the extras and it becomes a cheap rifle to shoot, before being a donor one day, if ever :)
Wow, you did well there! something different. Be handy with the amount of foxes around at the moment.

Thing is with a husky you never need to take the top cover off! Ha ha.

while im grateful of husky innovative auto chain brake design saving my face in about 1985 I really not used them since and care less for them due to weird ergonomics and complex service design oh and yucky color. Not to be down on their fan club members here, each to their own i say but the last husky i bought as a training tool was a 240e trio brake wot a POS service and chain adjust was PITA and the triobrake hasn't won the market at all.... thankfully it got knocked off by some thief who now can't move it as worthless bit of junk... Sadly some stihls are moving to husky body works features the newer 231 has 4 or more cap screws just to lift off the cover.

Complex service design.... wtf? I dont think you could get more basic than the 266 272 288 saws and all more balanced than the stihl counterparts in my hands. I think Stihl make excellent stuff and id happily work on one. Just every time i picked up a 066 i just couldn't get it to feel right.

I know the newer 3 series look a little more complex but not by any means. Yes the 5 series will be more complex but show me a equivalent Stihl that isnt the same.

Complex service design.... wtf? I dont think you could get more basic than the 266 272 288 saws and all more balanced than the stihl counterparts in my hands. I think Stihl make excellent stuff and id happily work on one. Just every time i picked up a 066 i just couldn't get it to feel right.

I know the newer 3 series look a little more complex but not by any means. Yes the 5 series will be more complex but show me a equivalent Stihl that isnt the same.

yer right there all seem to be going the same way bits n bobs all over after about 89 they started to get all tricky add on's i miss the basic 026 note no flippys body screws or toolless chain adjuster easy start gizzmos i'm just being nostalgic ATM ha this one got decomp mine dont even have that

stihl_026pro_left (1).jpg

Yep KISS is the key but hey if we dont move forward wed all be running leaf springs and drum breaks lol.

Ive had no problems with working on my 346xpne not that its needed anything i just like to tinker.

As for no decomp F that especially on my little Solo 656c. Its a little tricky to start and will give your arm a bit of punishment if you dont hit the button

a62064b18f6800ef23a55261e47ca314.jpg

Fired up the 661 for the first time today up at matts. Put a 36 .404 bar on it and got stuck into sectioning up the sugargums. Lots of torque, very smooth, good on fuel and ample oil supply after knocking the pin in. Did that before even before running it. I would say a very worthy successor to the 660 and still had a whistle to it to like the 660 :)

Took the 61 out today and ran it in on 5 trees ,ran well but had to retune it after the second one, wasnt happy with the oiler set to 2 so turned it to 4 but still not oiling properly as the bar was getting hot on a 10'' log, this is running the 16'' bar, the filter and hose is clean so i would say its the pump, thought just buy a new one instead of trying to fix it
so wheres the best place to buy a new pump from
Regards Peter

Pete, I havent seen a 61 oiler but figure they will be very similar to the 266. It could be a simple worn out plastic gear that gets driven by the clutch drum and inturn drives the oiler gear. Did you fully strip the oiler and rebuild it last time?

check this out:

http://www.amazon.com/Oiler-Gear-Husqvarna-268-272/dp/B00455O70A

As for buying. Try Ebay USA. you may find a new genuine one there or even a AM?? If no luck, go to Jacks small engines and put in the part number to get a US$price for new. You can then compare that to your local Husky agent.

Pete, I havent seen a 61 oiler but figure they will be very similar to the 266. It could be a simple worn out plastic gear that gets driven by the clutch drum and inturn drives the oiler gear. Did you fully strip the oiler and rebuild it last time?

check this out:

As for buying. Try Ebay USA. you may find a new genuine one there or even a AM?? If no luck, go to Jacks small engines and put in the part number to get a US$price for new. You can then compare that to your local Husky agent.
Hi Serg
When i pulled it apart the plastic gear that goes on the clutch looks good but i didnt pull the pump apart

a62064b18f6800ef23a55261e47ca314.jpg

Fired up the 661 for the first time today up at matts. Put a 36 .404 bar on it and got stuck into sectioning up the sugargums. Lots of torque, very smooth, good on fuel and ample oil supply after knocking the pin in. Did that before even before running it. I would say a very worthy successor to the 660 and still had a whistle to it to like the 660 :)
I also had the pleasure of running the new ms661c last Friday arvo, whilst it was mainly for sizing up blocks with a 20"bar micro chisel chain, I found it to have lots of torque, lower vibration than ms660, but most notable was the exhaust decibels!
While maybe I'm a little used to "race engine exhaust notes" I found the 661 to be very quiet, and comfortable even if you never had ear protection.
There was also the same comment made from guys standing in front of the saw.
I never found it to "whistle", but more a quiet throaty growl!
In all an upgrade to an already top performing saw!

Serg, from Jacks, the price doesnt seem back
http://www.jackssmallengines.com/Products/HUSQVARNA/Lubrication-System/Oil-Pump/JSE2673050/2673050/s

check this out:

Latest posts

Back