the all aussie dribble thread!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use Jakmax full synthetic made by Alco in the US (it's also cheaper than stihl oil), 50:1 for all my saws 50 or 5 years old.
that stuff has a fuel stabilizer in it as well would like too see someone let it sit in a container for six months and see if it works just not on a realy good saw don't want no one to toast a good saw

I have been using the stihl fuel stabilizer and seems to work pretty well. Lucas also makes a good one.

I have been using Stabil fuel stabilizer for years in the ride on,quod bike,splitter and all 2 stroke engines, this is another reason i use the 95 oct fuel its supposed to have a better self like.
Depends on how long your fuel sits around.

ok
Mobile dealers are few and far between these days, non in my neck of the woods,
i thought mobile had quit the game, all the Mobile servo's gone in the last 18 months
or so?

hey got it!
Scotts Petrol in Horsham sells it, (about 45min away for me) got to go there anyway today so will get it,
bit pricey $60 for 4L ??

Thats a good price,the last lot i found was $85 for 4 ltrs.
When you think about it and you mix at 40 :1 thats 250 mil / 10 ltrs of fuel.
The 4 lts of oil gets you 160 ltrs of fuel
Mmm i use at least 1 x 4 ltr of oil per year.:msp_ohmy:
If you dont have ported saws then i think 50:1 is the go.

Dont know if you guys saw the tv the other night but they had something on fuel bowser rip offs and fuel containers and and how the litre markings on most are not right ,one of the bad ones was the red plastic fuel container the 5L mark actually held more than 5 1/2 litres some were closer to 6L,even some of the tin ones are out,if you mix in these bottles/tins ............beware.
attachment.php

Dont know if you guys saw the tv the other night but they had something on fuel bowser rip offs and fuel containers and and how the litre markings on most are not right ,one of the bad ones was the red plastic fuel container the 5L mark actually held more than 5 1/2 litres some were closer to 6L,even some of the tin ones are out,if you mix in these bottles/tins ............beware.
attachment.php

I have exactly that container and mine is actually 5.5 litres at the 5litre mark.I just put 5 in as measured by the bowser,i figure they arnt going to give you any for free!!

hey got it!
Scotts Petrol in Horsham sells it, (about 45min away for me) got to go there anyway today so will get it,
bit pricey $60 for 4L ??

Found some myself today,its hard to track down distributers at times and Mobil dont retail anymore.the only place in a town of 60k people that had it was a Caltex dealer,maybe there one now,dont really no.

Whats the go with Castrol Power 1TTS guys? fully synthetic and stinks apparently :hmm3grin2orange: any good or bad reports? I never here anyone recommend Husky HP oil either,part synthetic and only FB rated.Any thoughts?

Dave, yeah, TTS stings my eyes but it's a bloody good oil. The only reason I switched to Motul is that a) I could and b) it doesn't give me a headache or sting my eyes, and c) it smells like bananas when you open the bottle too :D

Have a look in your local Yellow Pages under fuel and oil distributors, I'm guessing there are more than the Caltex wholesale dealer in Wagga, unless the Riverina is serviced more from Griffith ?
Tamworth is 100km away from me and it's the service hub for the north west of the state, so there's a Mobil, Caltex, BP and Shell distributors there.
I know the Mobil dealer had the M1 R 2T on the shelf when I used to buy my drums of Delvac 1, and while I don't think Caltex's two stroke oil would be anything special, their B&C oil is bloody good and bloody cheap, the last 20l drum I bought was a touch over $60, walk in off the street price.

BTW, how come the bike shop has trouble getting Motul ?

I just get Motul 800 2T from the Husky/Toro/Honda OPE dealer in Scone as they stock some M/C stuff too, and if I want something like Gear 300 for a gearbox they just tack it onto the next order from Link International in Brisbane and I have it in under a week.
800 2T is a bit over the top for saw use, 710 2T is more than good enough.

You can have a look in Super Crap too as I'm pretty sure they stock Silkolene. (Pro 2 SX ??)
Silkolene's full syn 2 stroke oils are very, very good and if there is a karting shop in town they may stock Maxima.

I think the Maxima to get is K2, Serg/Husq2100 knows, as he uses it and it has a great reputation in karting circles.

Motorex also make good lubes, you should be able to find them at the bike shop, particularly if there's a KTM dealer in town.

Just a FWIW on the fuel mix debate, when Matt was in Tassie a few years back one of the big Stihl shops there told him they recommend 33:1 for the 460's up (I think, or at least the 660 and 880) and when they pull them down they look much better inside than the machines that have been using 50:1 on Stihl/Castrol oil.

Hopefully he chimes in later and fills in the blanks.

I think 25:1 is too fat unless you are running really high compression, big ports and lots of revs but i don't have an issue with 16 to 25:1 on air cooled race two strokes at all.

Just a FWIW on the fuel mix debate, when Matt was in Tassie a few years back one of the big Stihl shops there told him they recommend 33:1 for the 460's up (I think, or at least the 660 and 880) and when they pull them down they look much better inside than the machines that have been using 50:1 on Stihl/Castrol oil.

Hopefully he chimes in later and fills in the blanks.

I think 25:1 is too fat unless you are running really high compression, big ports and lots of revs but i don't have an issue with 16 to 25:1 on air cooled race two strokes at all.

The Stihl dealer in Tas probably recommended the Stihl/Castrol oil at 33 :1 because they even know it is crap.

Dave, yeah, TTS stings my eyes but it's a bloody good oil. The only reason I switched to Motul is that a) I could and b) it doesn't give me a headache or sting my eyes, and c) it smells like bananas when you open the bottle too :D

Have a look in your local Yellow Pages under fuel and oil distributors, I'm guessing there are more than the Caltex wholesale dealer in Wagga, unless the Riverina is serviced more from Griffith ?
Tamworth is 100km away from me and it's the service hub for the north west of the state, so there's a Mobil, Caltex, BP and Shell distributors there.
I know the Mobil dealer had the M1 R 2T on the shelf when I used to buy my drums of Delvac 1, and while I don't think Caltex's two stroke oil would be anything special, their B&C oil is bloody good and bloody cheap, the last 20l drum I bought was a touch over $60, walk in off the street price.

BTW, how come the bike shop has trouble getting Motul ?

I just get Motul 800 2T from the Husky/Toro/Honda OPE dealer in Scone as they stock some M/C stuff too, and if I want something like Gear 300 for a gearbox they just tack it onto the next order from Link International in Brisbane and I have it in under a week.
800 2T is a bit over the top for saw use, 710 2T is more than good enough.

You can have a look in Super Crap too as I'm pretty sure they stock Silkolene. (Pro 2 SX ??)
Silkolene's full syn 2 stroke oils are very, very good and if there is a karting shop in town they may stock Maxima.

I think the Maxima to get is K2, Serg/Husq2100 knows, as he uses it and it has a great reputation in karting circles.

Motorex also make good lubes, you should be able to find them at the bike shop, particularly if there's a KTM dealer in town.

Thanks for that mate.The Caltex/Mobil distributer i found today dont stock a lot of Mobil as they reckon it dosent sell,you could be write maybe Griffith is the go.ill just have to make sure i keep a supply of it .The bike shop had Motul today but i wasnt real sure which was what :msp_unsure: .Every time i go in there for something they shelves seem to be bare,and im the type of guy thats runs out and needs it NOW :msp_ohmy: Had a look at Silkolene in Super Crap and got well and truley confused ...castor based,chook #### based...lost me! so i will give the Mobil a try.Castrols appeal to me is its very easy to find around here,but i get what your saying regarding headaches etc.

Thanks for your help
Cheers Dave

40.1 for me 50 seems to thin 25 a wee too rich. I not gone into the bean oil or super dupa stroke stuff but luv how it smells

Use ma warmed 310 with its clipped muff 18 inch bar a nice fast chain tweaked sprocket n carby this week on chunky bit of standing gum lashed to crane truck, twas like a lazer cutting :smile2:. Whoa boy I had to back off a bit to judge the cut as was going to fast for the crane bloke to catch the slack.

With Motul, 800 2T is a pure race oil with no certifications but it's bloody brilliant.
It's a full synthetic ester oil (no castor) so wont have any carbon issues and has calcium sulfonate as an additive which gives it excellent wet weather performance if you cut in the wet.
Calcium sulfonate pretty much prevents any rust and corrosion.

There are two versions, road and off road

I use the MX/off road version @ 40:1 and it's more than good enough. The road version is a heavier oil and is designed to be run at 3-4% (25-33:1) as road race bikes spend so much time at wide open throttle.

710 2T is a brilliant road/high performance oil with the JASO FC/FD, ISO-L-EGD certifications.

510 is a semi-syn oil.

Silkolene are owned by Fuchs and blend their 2 stroke oils in the UK.

Pro 2 SX is their off road race oil, Pro 2 their road-race blend and both are ester full synthetic oils.

Pro Scoot is their low smoke, JASO FC/FD, ISO-L-EGD full syn oil.

Thats a good price,the last lot i found was $85 for 4 ltrs.
When you think about it and you mix at 40 :1 thats 250 mil / 10 ltrs of fuel.
The 4 lts of oil gets you 160 ltrs of fuel
Mmm i use at least 1 x 4 ltr of oil per year.:msp_ohmy:
If you dont have ported saws then i think 50:1 is the go.

Hey Andrew, got one 4L today, use about 2-3 4L per year, using a bit at the moment cutting about 8-9 meters of firewood a week,
had a talk to the bloke about the price, he said if i buy a box of 4 by 4L he will get the price close to $50 per 4L, let me know if you are interested, or anyone for that matter,
BTY Castrol power 1 TTS oil 4L is on sale at SuperCheap Auto for $69!!

Thats cheap :biggrin:
I get up to Warrack sometime hunting so will let you know thanks.
You would be cutting Yellowbox and that nice type of soft wood up that way.:hmm3grin2orange:

Latest posts

Back