the all aussie dribble thread!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wasn't the 088 a performance upgrade on the 084?

Better breather and higher compression. Didn't Stihl change the flywheel in the later models...fibreglass rings a bell.

Did it turn out to be a dog huh?

Way to bad for me to stay up till 12.
I thought we had to many sloppy moments, which I can relate to from basketball :(
But they didn't give up, and the sportsmanship in the post game interviews and the way they handled the bad calls was personally inspiring that I'll try to copy in my own game more.
Great job though

My gut feeling is the large saw days are numbered, there just isn't the demand for them anymore. Mechanical harvesting has certainly put a dent in sales and lets face it, who the hell wants to swing off one of those mongrels all day long these days?
I hear you. Used the 660 bent over breaking all handling rules, couldn't move for 3 days.
And Corporate OH&S/insurance would have a field day swinging 10kg+fluids+B/C, probably need a crane(2 man minimum) to lift safely atop a big log . Given some protocol these days

Wasn't the 088 a performance upgrade on the 084?

Better breather and higher compression. Didn't Stihl change the flywheel in the later models...fibreglass rings a bell.

Did it turn out to be a dog huh?

I'm sure there's blokes that swear by their 088/880's, but from personal experience my 088 was a slug from new!

If we're to believe what's posted in these pages there's an old thread (read 084 and 088) where the OP states the 'gains' built into the 088 are the result of Stihl adopting mods loggers made to the 084... I doubt this as the cylinders are quite different in regard to port timing etc.

The change in the flywheel was to the 'poly' version.
088 084 cylinders 004.JPG

<rant>
Operating a tractor on a public road in NZ is like diving head first into a pool of legal quicksand. The understanding of the law amongst authorities here is a joke. Ring the relevant govt body here - the NZTA - and two different people gave me two different answers. Contact the testing station people and they give different answers. Call into the local police station and they shrug their shoulders and what little advice they did tender was utterly wrong. Go to the NZTA website and its guides and factsheets have contrasting rules. Speak with the tractor vendor who ducks for cover after saying in one week he had one customer fined for doing a specific thing, and another customer fined for not doing that same thing.

So, pick through the actual legislation, ring up NZTA again, politely suggest their website documents are a bloody joke and tell them what the bloody law actually says, and finally think I have my obligations understood. But, here's the rub - if I get pulled over by a clueless authoritarian ******* who doesn't like me pointing out the actual law and why he/she is wrong to fine me, it will be me who has to shell out the time and money to defend the charges in court, without any compensation for costs and time.
</rant>

Looked into the moped/motorcycle rules also. Same BS confusion, same having to speak with two different people at NZTA after the first told me the wrong info. I pity anyone who relies on the verbal advice of no-responsibility voices at these govt institutions.

No more than 50cc and speed-restricted to no more than 50kph then only an initial inspection on first registration needed then no further checks, no warrants of fitness needed (but must stay road worthy), no motorcycle license needed as classed as moped, and significantly lower yearly licensing costs.

So, once the initial rego inspection is done and the classification of moped given, many just de-restrict their scooters so they can get'em up to 80 or more kph. If get pulled over by cops though because travelling more than 50kph, will be breaking three different rules, at least.

Common theme amongst those who want to sell their de-restricted (thus illegal) 'mopeds' is to put their rego on hold and leave it up to the private buyer to rego and thus the new buyer will be the one the cops will ping. So many buyers of second hand scooters haven't a clue about this or just don't care about the misrepresentations the sellers are making about the scooters/mopeds they are selling.

But at least I have learned how to de-restrict a few scooter models now, if I flag the motorcycle license idea. but the whole thing is a dog's breakfast that nobody in the law seems to give a rat's ass about cleaning up.

Don't worry about it mate I've seen motorway patrol they let everyone off bro
Got pulled over once years ago for speeding in front of a school. Cop looks at my licence and asks if I have older sisters, and he reeled off their names. I answered in the affirmative, he smirked one of those kinda smirks and let me off, asking me to say hello from [name withheld]. I donno, didn't ask, and don't even want to think about what my older sisters did to garner that sort of future favour.

Okay....I've had enough.

Had to drop one good size redbox this morning, cut it up and get rid of it...easy job, was even leaning over in the direction I had to fell it...and my trailer could back in right beside it....easy money and the best firewood money can buy.

5 chains later I completed my task....lots of swearing....lots of smoke....yep, it was full of grit and rot in the bottom 3mtrs

I'm getting a cutty cutty tungsten. ...Stihl 20" for $155.....never thought I'd get one cause I always thought they were just for slackers that didnt like to sharpen....

Okay....I've had enough.

Had to drop one good size redbox this morning, cut it up and get rid of it...easy job, was even leaning over in the direction I had to fell it...and my trailer could back in right beside it....easy money and the best firewood money can buy.

5 chains later I completed my task....lots of swearing....lots of smoke....yep, it was full of grit and rot in the bottom 3mtrs

I'm getting a cutty cutty tungsten. ...Stihl 20" for $155.....never thought I'd get one cause I always thought they were just for slackers that didnt like to sharpen....
would like to see that in action

Back