the all aussie dribble thread!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How much compression should I be seeing from this ?
No small 4stroke engine manufacturer publishes compression readings, as there is 2 much variance.
A good rule of thumb is to spin the engine backwards quickly by hand, if it rebounds clockwise (normal rotation) it's generally enough compression 2 start/run.
The Honda gx series are brilliant engines, if ya have any probs, inbox me I'll give you my number. :)

No small 4stroke engine manufacturer publishes compression readings, as there is 2 much variance.
A good rule of thumb is to spin the engine backwards quickly by hand, if it rebounds clockwise (normal rotation) it's generally enough compression 2 start/run.
The Honda hc series are brilliant engines, if ya have any probs, inbox me I'll give you my number. :)
Ok. Well I'll strip it down and see what the go is. Comp gauge only reads 90 psi.
Got fuel and spark. It tries to start but can't kick itself on.

G'day Neil ,I'm not sure who runs the show down there the old man is the one that knows everyone and always on the Ph ,I just get told we need this cut now get to it! ha..
With the Crossarms we just cut them and send there chits of things to cut they need to be almost perfect getting the logs to cut them is the hard part. They will get inspected down there we should know in a day or so how many we lost hopefully we don't lose to many.

Yea cross arms have to be good for sure, was thinking because I get clean tallow wood at times and put it into 6.0 rails 6x2 and 6x1 1/2. sometimes different contractors will take a few 3.0 to go with the 6.0's, its good money too just not as good as cross arms.

The Honda gx series are brilliant engines, if ya have any probs, inbox me I'll give you my number. :)

Good advise.

I've got a GX390 here attached to a Honda 5.5kva gen set, battery start and 12v bat charger built in...cost over $2500 new..it's done 30 to 40 hours light work...

What's it's worth now? It's surplus to my needs.

How much compression should I be seeing from this ?
pretty much every time I got to start up my fire pump it needs the carby cleaning, it gets gunk in it and won't go until its clear again, then it ticks over like a charm and runs for long time on that little tank.
In saying that I started her this week before the rain and it fired 1st pull, its been running on and off for a month or so, they are great for washing radiators out of heavy machines like loaders and tractors ect.

pretty much every time I got to start up my fire pump it needs the carby cleaning, it gets gunk in it and won't go until its clear again, then it ticks over like a charm and runs for long time on that little tank.
In saying that I started her this week before the rain and it fired 1st pull, its been running on and off for a month or so, they are great for washing radiators out of heavy machines like loaders and tractors ect.

I tend to run those engines, when I've finished with them for a while, with the fuel tap off until the engine starts to surge then I shut them down and store them. I've never had a carby clog up on me yet. Could be I have just got lucky though, dunno.

i'd be fudged if i can ever work out and then remember with honda small ponys on the carbs which way is fuel line off / on and and choke on / off and kill switch is much the same i frigg around for ages till have it sorted
If it won't pull over, the fuel tap is on and the combustion chamber is full of fuel. Does that help!
The ones on the spray rigs do 40 hours a week for ten or more years, amazing engines.

I had the plug out and was turning it over with the rattle gun. Could see a fine mist slowly covering the spark plug boot by the spark plug hole. So I think its fueling is ok. Maybe I'll just pull the carby apart and check it out, just in case. The bowl was clean. Got new tank and fuel. Sediment separator was clear too. After seeing the tank I thought both would be not good. Checked valves; both not stuck and had correct clearance.
I read it's got auto decomp so comp test maybe isn't conclusive.
According to the specs it has 9:1 comp.

I tend to run those engines, when I've finished with them for a while, with the fuel tap off until the engine starts to surge then I shut them down and store them. I've never had a carby clog up on me yet. Could be I have just got lucky though, dunno.

that would be true and I should do it also, in my scene I'm always busy and never know when I need it next, I am very dedicated to some things but lack in others.

i'd be fudged if i can ever work out and then remember with honda small ponys on the carbs which way is fuel line off / on and and choke on / off and kill switch is much the same i frigg around for ages till have it sorted

I have the same problem, then I get my glasses and oh,,,, that's where its supposed to be.

I had the plug out and was turning it over with the rattle gun. Could see a fine mist slowly covering the spark plug boot by the spark plug hole. So I think its fueling is ok. Maybe I'll just pull the carby apart and check it out, just in case. The bowl was clean. Got new tank and fuel. Sediment separator was clear too. After seeing the tank I thought both would be not good. Checked valves; both not stuck and had correct clearance.
I read it's got auto decomp so comp test maybe isn't conclusive.
According to the specs it has 9:1 comp.

I would, jet may be clogged or something silly, another 1st to do is make sure it does not have a hornets nest blocking the exhaust.

I've got a GX390 here attached to a Honda 5.5kva gen set, battery start and 12v bat charger built in...cost over $2500 new..it's done 30 to 40 hours light work...

What's it's worth now? It's surplus to my needs.

I've got the same one, picked it up for $500 but doesn't have the battery charger. Used they go for around 800-1200 in good nic. The chinese imports have brought the prices down, dumb yes but people still compare the prices. "I got this you beaut 10kva for only $600 brand new" Yeah but has it been running reliably for the past 10 years? I think not.

Also with the on and off fuel tap. Have never turned one off. My engines are always "on" and don't have any problems. No carb issues. My one honda pressure washer was in storage for close to 8 years and from memory started with only a few pulls.

Recently bought a gx270 that had not run for many years, it was stored dry and carby seals needed replacing. So yeah I have not had much luck with "dry" carbys.

Yea cross arms have to be good for sure, was thinking because I get clean tallow wood at times and put it into 6.0 rails 6x2 and 6x1 1/2. sometimes different contractors will take a few 3.0 to go with the 6.0's, its good money too just not as good as cross arms.
if my logs are good enough I'll go for a 6 x 4 @ 2.7 cross arm, then when the defects are found ill work down to a 100 x 100 @ 2.1 or if its too far gone just re saw & get 2, 6 x 1 1/2 @ 3.0 fence rails right from the start, aim for $80 & end up with at least $40.
thangst

Just watched a YouTube clip. They said they had 90 psi comp which is good and motor ran.

Carby being stripped tomorrow , not motor [emoji106] thanks Neil. [emoji6]
try a new spark plug, thats what used to be the culprit on a water truck pump that used to give me trouble after it had a couple of gut fulls of water, i think it must have cracked the insulator when the inside of the plug corroded.
tansk

Latest posts

Back