the all aussie dribble thread!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thats no fun. We had twin wheel casters fitted to ours and haven't had that happen yet. Different brand though, its green can't remember the name now but made in Adelaide. I assume the wheels are carrying all the weight or is the toplink helping also?
Top link, skids and wheels all take the weight.
Never broken a wheel on the old howard slasher, it did 20 years with dad before I came back to help (and that was ten years ago).
Broken 3 or 4 on the gason in 3 years. It's a complete bucket of ****, but I don't know what to replace it with.
It has some good points, being a twin rotor it hardly ever throws wire through the tractor tyre, it'll cut at 12km/hr before the quality of the cut changes, it's exactly the same width as the combing rails on the trailer, it shifts sideways about a metre each way.....
It just maintenance heavy, but I'm getting paid by the hectare and it's making good money, I've gone from 200ha of firebreaks in a season to 400ha since we got it.

When the chains not making it happen I just check 3 or 4 d/g's, then take two swipes off the top and one to round the front of the d/g's, not to scientific postie but gets by...lol

The single best thing I reckon that will improve filing results is the file holder that holds the round chain file, gives better control and accuracy.

Top link, skids and wheels all take the weight.
Never broken a wheel on the old howard slasher, it did 20 years with dad before I came back to help (and that was ten years ago).
Broken 3 or 4 on the gason in 3 years. It's a complete bucket of ****, but I don't know what to replace it with.
It has some good points, being a twin rotor it hardly ever throws wire through the tractor tyre, it'll cut at 12km/hr before the quality of the cut changes, it's exactly the same width as the combing rails on the trailer, it shifts sideways about a metre each way.....
It just maintenance heavy, but I'm getting paid by the hectare and it's making good money, I've gone from 200ha of firebreaks in a season to 400ha since we got it.

Yeah we had 2 of the old Gasons twin rotor and they have been running with pretty much zero maintenance required. The neighbour still has one of them and its still going. Went to buy a new gason and it didn't look half as good as the old ones - they got bought out by a Vic company I think. So we ended up getting one custom built similar to the old one buy someone else and it turned out a lot cheaper. Seems to be going well so far.

It's my annual - I hate slashing - pic. View attachment 461678
I know how you feel, the other day dad was topping near a rock pile and hit a rock, which somehow made its way away from the pile. Only half a ute load of parts later she was running again [emoji23][emoji23]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yeah we had 2 of the old Gasons twin rotor and they have been running with pretty much zero maintenance required. The neighbour still has one of them and its still going. Went to buy a new gason and it didn't look half as good as the old ones - they got bought out by a Vic company I think. So we ended up getting one custom built similar to the old one buy someone else and it turned out a lot cheaper. Seems to be going well so far.
We went to buy a Chris grow and ended up with gason, Chris grow was supposedly bought out by gason. I guess they were both bought by someone.

We went to buy a Chris grow and ended up with gason, Chris grow was supposedly bought out by gason. I guess they were both bought by someone.

Yeah that sounds like the one, the old ones must have been Chris grow also blue and then later became Gason.

this chap makes it look easy but still a painstaking effort.
That's the video I was working off too. But the cover braid I have here is too tight and barely handles two core braids, let alone trying to do the final burying. That's 3 frustrating hours I'll never get back, and the rope is about 2m shorter now.
Have been toying with the idea of dyneema winch ropes anyway, so may just go that route instead for the [insert technical term here for pull the biggest bastard trees over - rope] also. At least they are an absolute breeze to splice.

Next job for the rope is another hail mary 80+ yo pine, interestingly situated on a fenceline (and I mean literally, the fence is in the tree), three large leaders terminating about a foot or so above head height, one of which leans out over the adjacent road and will eventually take out the power lines on the other side of the road. It's also right next to a large culvert going under the (did I mention busy) road, and there is an underground power cable that pops out about 2 feet from the tree and is strung over the creek before going back underground again.

Ironically, this big, fat, ugly monstrosity is the very thinnest, of lines between hero and zero.

Traffic management plan = "don't tell 'em and they won't freak out".
Road and hung powerlines plan = "I think I might try my first tip-tying exercise on that leaning leader"
Culvert and buried powerline plan = "Will use a snatch block for more force, tie the tree lower down and see if we can jump the prick off the stump and well clear of the other stuff"

What could possibly go wrong?

That's the video I was working off too. But the cover braid I have here is too tight and barely handles two core braids, let alone trying to do the final burying. That's 3 frustrating hours I'll never get back, and the rope is about 2m shorter now.
Have been toying with the idea of dyneema winch ropes anyway, so may just go that route instead for the [insert technical term here for pull the biggest bastard trees over - rope] also. At least they are an absolute breeze to splice.

Next job for the rope is another hail mary 80+ yo pine, interestingly situated on a fenceline (and I mean literally, the fence is in the tree), three large leaders terminating about a foot or so above head height, one of which leans out over the adjacent road and will eventually take out the power lines on the other side of the road. It's also right next to a large culvert going under the (did I mention busy) road, and there is an underground power cable that pops out about 2 feet from the tree and is strung over the creek before going back underground again.

Ironically, this big, fat, ugly monstrosity is the very thinnest, of lines between hero and zero.

Traffic management plan = "don't tell 'em and they won't freak out".
Road and hung powerlines plan = "I think I might try my first tip-tying exercise on that leaning leader"
Culvert and buried powerline plan = "Will use a snatch block for more force, tie the tree lower down and see if we can jump the prick off the stump and well clear of the other stuff"

What could possibly go wrong?

If you can set your phone up to video this being dropped I'd love to see it.

Are you kidding? There'll be no evidence pinning it on me, it'll be done after hours, will be the last tree I have to do on the property, and all my gear will be packed away ready for a fast exit to the next job some 50 k's away. Trouble is, the tractor can only do about 35 kph so it's a lousy getaway vehicle. I may have to stash it on a nearby farm and swap into the ute and slip quietly into the night.

AU$2900, FOB Auckland if you know anyone that wants it. I am trying my best not to use it before selling.
4in1B.jpg

How did the RD3 chain fare with that lot

Hey James.

I cut that paperbarks down a month ago, just couldn't retrieve it easily as I dropped it into the dam Now we can.

I haven't run the chain yet as I've only been using my 029s with the 20" bar the last couple of weeks.

To be honest mate I'm thinking of mounting it in a glass cabinet only to be broken in case of emergency. The crap work I've been doing lately and the **** load of old fencing wire I've been ripping out of trees with my chain scares me away from using it yet.

Back