the all aussie dribble thread!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I missed the first lot of pics I have a 65 on the shelf maybe the only one in the country

cd3428c586a42787a02dda1637b894d0_zps9608a40a.jpg

Nope, I've got one. great little saw,I love using it.
Balances well,cuts with authority,and sounds mighty.
not as clean as yours though!
IMG_1178.JPG

Those with grinders, are you using different wheel thickness's for different pitch chains? I ask because lately I've stuck with the 1/8" wheel typically used for 3/8LP or .325 chain. It works OK (even with the tighter curve from side plate into the gullet) on regular 3/8 chain. Haven't tried it on .404 yet. The reason for trying it is because I am hoping to get away with just one diamond wheel if I ever find the money for one.

Just wondering if anyone else is using just the one wheel. If not, would you mind trying and let me know if the chains cut OK for you?

Thanks.

Those with grinders, are you using different wheel thickness's for different pitch chains? I ask because lately I've stuck with the 1/8" wheel typically used for 3/8LP or .325 chain. It works OK (even with the tighter curve from side plate into the gullet) on regular 3/8 chain. Haven't tried it on .404 yet. The reason for trying it is because I am hoping to get away with just one diamond wheel if I ever find the money for one.

Just wondering if anyone else is using just the one wheel. If not, would you mind trying and let me know if the chains cut OK for you?

Thanks.
yeah i do use the skinny wheel on the 3/8 when i am lazy.. but i wouldn't do it on 404. gotta think of it as a high speed shaver. u want the biggest curve possible to nicely shave the wood. if the curve is tight or small the wood will compress rather than follow the nice radius. that's my take on it as a toolmaker/ machinist . i have no idea about cutting wood per-say .:innocent:

yeah i do use the skinny wheel on the 3/8 when i am lazy.. but i wouldn't do it on 404. gotta think of it as a high speed shaver. u want the biggest curve possible to nicely shave the wood. if the curve is tight or small the wood will compress rather than follow the nice radius. that's my take on it as a toolmaker/ machinist . i have no idea about cutting wood per-say .:innocent:
yeah, know what you mean. There's a limit on how big the chips can be. I can't get much passed 6 degree rakers or the chain isn't smooth enough for my liking, especially in dry gum. But that's fine by me. Haven't experimented in softer wood like pine yet.
With the wheel being the regular pink stuff, I have profiled it to have a bias to the curve, kinda half-parabolic rather than circular. That was a slight improvement.

Thanks.
I use the ABN wheels at work and home. The 5mm wheel I find best and will do .325, 3/8 and .404. It's a bit tight between the cutter and depth gauge on .325 if it's a brand new chain so I use a stone on those and the 4mm on 3/8p and a 3mm on 3/8 pmm from the pole saws when they're back a ways. I just set up the diamond dresser on the USG which is pretty neat. It bolts on the front and sweeps around radiusing the stone perfectly every time

Have you tried 4mm where you would normally us the 5mm?
That's a good point about the tiny chains. Have you tried 4mm on those - can it fit in there on a new chain and does it get far enough in to not leave a curve on the cutter edge?

Just heard the mill rebuild is done, tested, and I can pick it up next week sometime. Can thoroughly recommend Peterson Sawmills who stepped up to help me out when the pathological peanut at Turbo wouldn't do the right thing.

You were considering legal action against them from memory.

Did you proceed or decide too costly and too much hassle?

It was going to be a $60-70k, approx' 18 month exercise and the peanut wasn't worth sacrificing yet another Summer of plans to pursue...on my own. I would have to expect every single delay/cost-adding move from him along the way, with little chance the courts would award full costs. However, let's just say a joint civil action funded by a number of aggrieved parties would not be inconceivable and indeed the chances of that grows progressively more possible. There are only so many customers anyone can piss off before it actually makes it financially feasible for them to combine resources and put one case through.

It was going to be a $60-70k, approx' 18 month exercise and the peanut wasn't worth sacrificing yet another Summer of plans to pursue...on my own. I would have to expect every single delay/cost-adding move from him along the way, with little chance the courts would award full costs. However, let's just say a joint civil action funded by a number of aggrieved parties would not be inconceivable and indeed the chances of that grows progressively more possible. There are only so many customers anyone can piss off before it actually makes it financially feasible for them to combine resources and put one case through.

Here in Vic your case would be heard at VCAT, or the administrative appeals tribunal, same place really and you can represent yourself.....clear cut case under trade practices act and contract law........ few hundred bucks to list it and if you lose you don't have to pay the others cost unless your case is considered hopeless or you are a vexatious litigant or some such arsehat.

Been there a few times myself, and I saw one ruling based on the fact "it was unaustralian" with almost complete disregard for the law, yes, it is a kangaroo court at times...lol

We have something here called the small claims court/disputes tribunal but the judgements and subsequent orders/determinations are actually not enforceable and I would bet my left one he'd ignore it and I'd need to start the real court action anyway, with the small claims judgement having SFA weight in the higher/real courts.

Need to take into account I'm not dealing with someone inexperienced with the court system and how it works. Just google his name mate and you should find at least one court ruling. He's also no doubt learned a thing or 20 from watching his old man's multi-decade court case with Lucas.

Good things will take a little longer than I would like, but if there is any such thing as karma, it'll eventually catch up to him.

We have something here called the small claims court but the judgements and subsequent orders/determinations are actually not enforceable and I would bet my left one he'd ignore it and I'd need to start the real court action anyway, with the small claims judgement having SFA weight in the higher/real courts.

Need to take into account I'm not dealing with someone inexperienced with the court system and how it works. Just google his name mate and you should find at least one court ruling. He's also no doubt learned a thing or 20 from watching his old man's multi-decade court case with Lucas.

Good things will take a little longer than I would like, but if there is any such thing as karma, it'll eventually catch up to him.
Sounds like the apple didn't fall far from the tree in this case.

Sounds like the apple didn't fall far from the tree in this case.
Somewhat different circumstances, but it all stacks up to plenty of experience in how to handle court action. without a doubt if I knew then what I know now, I just would have gone straight to Peterson and ignored Turbo completely. Mahoe would be another one I would buy from but I never had the $ for that nor the work to justify the price.

It's been mighty impressive how much Chris at Peterson has helped to make this right. I don't think he appreciates any sawmill customer, whether his own or others, being shafted. Looking forward to milling again soon.

Somewhat different circumstances, but it all stacks up to plenty of experience in how to handle court action. without a doubt if I knew then what I know now, I just would have gone straight to Peterson and ignored Turbo completely. Mahoe would be another one I would buy from but I never had the $ for that nor the work to justify the price.

It's been mighty impressive how much Chris at Peterson has helped to make this right. I don't think he appreciates any sawmill customer, whether his own or others, being shafted. Looking forward to milling again soon.

So they rebuilt the beam for you?

Latest posts

Back