the all aussie dribble thread!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've used several oils over the last 24yrs of my bike/saw/engine addiction.
Castrol 2t in the early days,Stihl when it was blue...don't like the new red stuff, Motul 800, and now Royal purple HP2c
I've never had a complaint with any of these, I find its not the quality of oil so much, but more the mixing ratio that brings them undone.
I currently run 33/40:1 with RP full synthetic in race saws,whipper snipper & the old victa power torque (overkill on the victa) ;);)

I've used several oils over the last 24yrs of my bike/saw/engine addiction.
Castrol 2t in the early days,Stihl when it was blue...don't like the new red stuff, Motul 800, and now Royal purple HP2c
I've never had a complaint with any of these, I find its not the quality of oil so much, but more the mixing ratio that brings them undone.
I currently run 33/40:1 with RP full synthetic in race saws,whipper snipper & the old victa power torque (overkill on the victa) ;);)
Can't beat the smell of racing fuel 100 and motul 800 from a nicely tuned race bike! [emoji2]

Sent from my GT-S7580L using Tapatalk

Understand that everyone's experiences from decades of use carry some serious weight, having said that wonder why we change from a manufacturers recommendation, the same manufacturer that designs and carries out (I'm sure) exhaustive testing on oil/fuel ratiosfor worldwide use in their saws.

The said saws the manufacturer will have coming back in droves with seized pistons / worn bearings if they get it wrong.

I've used Stihl two stroke oil @ 50.1 for decades, might mix just a fraction oilier at 45.1 just to be on the oily side in case fuel volume measurement is a bit out.

Nice bit of rain here :)

We need this rain mate pretty bad. My grass is browning off again.

My dad used Castrol 2T mix when I was a kid, always 25 to 1. He had some large Stihls but as a kid I always thought they were made by MMBW.

Talking about oils
I ran Mobil 1 T2 Racing at 40 to 1 for years loved it but got hard to get and expensive.
I have tryed afew fully snythetic oils Hi Tech,Penrite (Australian brands) oils and Matt put me on to the Jakmax fully synthetic at 40 to 1 and thats what im using know,easy to get and very well priced.
Cheers

Understand that everyone's experiences from decades of use carry some serious weight, having said that wonder why we change from a manufacturers recommendation, the same manufacturer that designs and carries out (I'm sure) exhaustive testing on oil/fuel ratiosfor worldwide use in their saws.

The said saws the manufacturer will have coming back in droves with seized pistons / worn bearings if they get it wrong.

I've used Stihl two stroke oil @ 50.1 for decades, might mix just a fraction oilier at 45.1 just to be on the oily side in case fuel volume measurement is a bit out.

Nice bit of rain here :)

I remember seeing reading something about how Stihl test a saw to work out how many hrs it is good for.. Think it was a 460 they basically run it WOT on a dyno with a endless fuel supply 24/7 , 2000hrs it will run as it was designed to do if I remember correctly.
I also remember on this site a professional Arborist say we are all full of crap he only gets 50hrs out of a Stihl pro saw! WTF?.. You would think he was joking but he was the real deal no joking going on.. Just like how he was having trouble with his clutches coming undone if he hit the chain brake more WTF?.. Personally if i've had a saw apart I hold the saw WOT and trip the chain brake to make sure the clutch is up tight as tripping the chain brake will tighten the clutch if at all loose oh well ho hum..

What is this rain you speak of? will trade lots of dust for some of this rain..

I remember seeing reading something about how Stihl test a saw to work out how many hrs it is good for.. Think it was a 460 they basically run it WOT on a dyno with a endless fuel supply 24/7 , 2000hrs it will run as it was designed to do if I remember correctly.
I also remember on this site a professional Arborist say we are all full of crap he only gets 50hrs out of a Stihl pro saw! WTF?.. You would think he was joking but he was the real deal no joking going on.. Just like how he was having trouble with his clutches coming undone if he hit the chain brake more WTF?.. Personally if i've had a saw apart I hold the saw WOT and trip the chain brake to make sure the clutch is up tight as tripping the chain brake will tighten the clutch if at all loose oh well ho hum..

My 461 hadn't been used in a while and needed it the other day to cut some 5yo red box, dry as, rounds were about 20 to 26" Dia.

Tried with a freshly sharpened standard semi chisel and it got about 4" into the first cut before it blunted out and started to want to cut in circles.

So fitted the you beaut tungsten carbide Stihl chain our man in WA was kind enough to send to me and off I went, but noticed the clutch slipping quite a bit more with this chain...

The chain stretched quite a bit (2 full turns easy on the tensioner) just in the first tank.

On the track to what I'm talking about r60, but doesn't quite relate to what benefits could be had by owners that run their personal mix of say 35.1 instead of the tested/recommended manufacturers 50.1.

The benefit owners seek is longevity and reliability when working the saw hard I guess, some just because it's a "belief" they have held for years or just read about somewhere.

2,000 hrs isn't to be sneezed at btw, guessing they base oil/fuel rations on that.

Are you arguing for or agin changing the oil/fuel ration given your knowledge of the STIHL testing you quoted above ? :) or did I miss it.

Rain, a fluid falling with a high ration of H2O from the sky and a reason to knock off work and spend the day on the comp. like today here now :yes: yep being a lazy bstd today .. pls keep dust because it turns to mud when mixed with above mentioned H2O..........time for a beer :cheers:

21mm today, 55mm for March.

My 461 hadn't been used in a while and needed it the other day to cut some 5yo red box, dry as, rounds were about 20 to 26" Dia.

Tried with a freshly sharpened standard semi chisel and it got about 4" into the first cut before it blunted out and started to want to cut in circles.

So fitted the you beaut tungsten carbide Stihl chain our man in WA was kind enough to send to me and off I went, but noticed the clutch slipping quite a bit more with this chain...

The chain stretched quite a bit (2 full turns easy on the tensioner) just in the first tank.

I run hardnose bar's 99% of the time I'd be real happy with only 2 full turns on the tensioner in a tank of fuel! haha....I've never used carbide chain I walk away from any timber that needs a concrete cutter to get through... But I can see the advantages of using said chain for cutting roots or dirty wood and really dry hardwood...
Myself I find 3/8 to be crap for holding up even in clean dry hardwood I seem to only get about a third of a tank with 3/8 chain and it has gone off and needs a rub.. I only use 3/8 if its free and already on a saw even then its only purpose is to remind me of why I run .404...

On the track to what I'm talking about r60, but doesn't quite relate to what benefits could be had by owners that run their personal mix of say 35.1 instead of the tested/recommended manufacturers 50.1.

The benefit owners seek is longevity and reliability when working the saw hard I guess, some just because it's a "belief" they have held for years or just read about somewhere.

2,000 hrs isn't to be sneezed at btw, guessing they base oil/fuel rations on that.

Are you arguing for or agin changing the oil/fuel ration given your knowledge of the STIHL testing you quoted above ? :) or did I miss it.

Rain, a fluid falling with a high ration of H2O from the sky and a reason to knock off work and spend the day on the comp. like today here now :yes: yep being a lazy bstd today .. pls keep dust because it turns to mud when mixed with above mentioned H2O..........time for a beer :cheers:

21mm today, 55mm for March.

No arguing here for or against just trivia...No matter the mix as long as the saw has been tuned for that mix whatever that may be I dont see a problem my self ...but it's all still very interesting I guess that's why there are about a billion threds about what oil mix to run in the humble little industreal 2T chainsaw...

Personally I don't keep track of what mix/oil guys run I just run what works for me with my own experiences even sea level plays apart in that...
But I do find the I ran a full gallon of fuel with such and such oil and pulled the top end and **** yeah its a great oil! I could see no wear and oil on parts that move would highly recommend this oil!...Hmmm that's a little OCD crazy town to me but in all honesty it's good in ways just means they are very passionate about their saws nothing wrong with that in my book looking after what one worked hard for....

And this rain thing we may just get some tonight! fingers crossed lightning bolts and thunder off in the distance and a spit or two on the tin roof :cheers:.

461 dead,,, only about 12 months old sure worked hard and unfairly treated by well meaning newbes but its still dead,,jugs off needs all sort of work.... i say trade it get 661 see if they can over work & kill it...

In the risk of being accused of saw neglect! haha.... Here's are few pics of my well used abused ms661 so yeah they can take it from what I've found so far?? its not like it has years of run time yet but yeah no need to take em off the back of ya ute even if its pissing down the electronics R defontly waterproof! ...Only funky **** I've experienced is the clutch it will slip if the revs are pulled way down, they like to rev and I think the clutch is set up with that in mind?.... Nothing like the old 066/660's where the clutch still holds way down to the very last dying revs you have to feather em take it easy say like you would a husky? :rolleyes: :laugh:..

1.JPG 2.JPG 3.JPG

Not my fav saw at this min the 661 that would be this old girl 066! god only knows how many hrs are on it but it still goes like a cut snake! :guitar:.
gnfhg.JPG

So this little one come along last night. Isabelle Anne. 18/3/16 23:12 8lb 4oz 54.5 C-M. Mum and Bub doing good
9c601448adf142a65a7740f0eb550d1a.jpg
a84d6cb42aa210b475250c0a98a753eb.jpg

Latest posts

Back