the all aussie dribble thread!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good weekend away down the bush. Too windy to do much hunting but cut some wood and went for a blat on the old tt anyway.
4097772a2a6f70aa2c711e9585dd24dc.jpg
906b7d8d413309dbd84389178212a4f7.jpg
72ab6e59841ad3a54a81fe4cc3ee0dcb.jpg
869e34f498aae989306b6556485995e8.jpg

Sent from my SM-G800Y using Tapatalk

Good work about time you got a saw in ha hand I had the same issue with the wind for hunting but got my billets cut got some work done on the excavator pulling sticks out where the dozen pushed a track in and slinged the septic tank in the hole so we can plumb it up next trip

Are you guys with bush pads allowed to bulldoze firebreaks around your homes? I've read it's going to be a nasty fire season in some parts of Oz and was thinking what can you do if you've got a house in a bush that has probably, for centuries, burned off and regenerated as part of a natural cycle?

Where I was its all planted Pine Forrest so we can clear and do what ever we want. Rob would likely find him self in the **** if he got to excited with a dozer our nosie government takes lots of satellite images and compare them every few months or so to take note of any large changes they take a dim view on clearing to much

So, they grant permits for houses in bush areas, but then want you to watch as your investment goes up in flames? I guess it means another round of permit fees when you rebuild, to keep the empire going.
That said, I suppose the firebreaks would have to be huge (or perhaps they'd be next to bloody useless anyway, given how far ash/sparks can travel) to be any good.
So, apart from a bit of a clean up of dead/dry stuff that could act as a fire bridge, there's stuff all you guys can do about it anyway, so just roll the dice as part of the costs of having a pad in the bush?

A bit like having a house on the cliff on the coast, I suppose.

What do the insurers demand you do to get coverage? Are the premiums for bush homes expensive?

Are you guys with bush pads allowed to bulldoze firebreaks around your homes? I've read it's going to be a nasty fire season in some parts of Oz and was thinking what can you do if you've got a house in a bush that has probably, for centuries, burned off and regenerated as part of a natural cycle?
We got a law passed a few years back allowing to clear trees from 10m around the house and scrub from 50m around. As usual the greeny wankers have been protesting it ever since but it's still in place. Yeah going to be a bad season if it doesnt rain. The bush here is as dry as I've seen it in years and these winds won't let up. We came home to an out of control bushfire on the edge of town here, thankfully they got it under control with the water bombers cause it was heading right up into the centre of town.

Where I was its all planted Pine Forrest so we can clear and do what ever we want. Rob would likely find him self in the **** if he got to excited with a dozer our nosie government takes lots of satellite images and compare them every few months or so to take note of any large changes they take a dim view on clearing to much
Yeah mate, it's a bit of a sore point with me as i feel you buy a block, you should be able to do what you want with it. Maybe not clear the whole thing but a certain percentage of it at least.

Im my tractors can push it out it can come out, if the slashers can slash it they'll slash it basically, mature dead trees all removed, and roundup sorting out some others

All dead fallen trees removed, including all hollow logs. Basically it's just mature living trees dotted around with no undergrowth , then burn the leaf litter as needed and keep pushing out the small trees so it's all mature trees left

Yeah ours is just a bush shack surrounded by wattle so even 50m would do bugger all. Just try not to leave anything too valuable there and hope for the best really. First sign of trouble, in the car and leave if we can or head to the dam. If it ever gets into the valley there it will take some stopping. It's like a tinderbox.

I think it's either 300mm trees or 250mm that you can take out, pretty shore it's 300mm so anything under a foot can be taken out. Just have to leave matures trees with a canopy intact. But you get die back (roundup lol) which naturally clears out spots of mature trees

We have sprinklers on roofs, proper 4x4 firetruck , dozen firepumps, lots and lots of proper bushfire hoses and all the gear from myself and Oldman being in the rfs.
If a fires coming we'll get out with drip torches and back burn it out, fight fire with fire!

Other than that we can **** off its all material stuff. Just take my rifles and saws. And Mrs and dog

Yeah mate, grey box. Got quite a few dead standing ones like that around the place, come in handy.

Not bad mate, does it leave a lot of ash like yellow? I usually burn stringy for the most part but every now and again some Yellow or Red when we find em and the other one we get plenty of is Peppermint which is good wood to burn too.

Yeah ours is just a bush shack surrounded by wattle so even 50m would do bugger all. Just try not to leave anything too valuable there and hope for the best really. First sign of trouble, in the car and leave if we can or head to the dam. If it ever gets into the valley there it will take some stopping. It's like a tinderbox.

The whole Coast is dry as ****. We had 37 degrees in the shade few days ago (early spring) it dropped to near 10% humidity. It's one of the driest we've had on the coast for decades, at least it's stopped the lawnmower people

Not bad mate, does it leave a lot of ash like yellow? I usually burn stringy for the most part but every now and again some Yellow or Red when we find em and the other one we get plenty of is Peppermint which is good wood to burn too.
Yeah real fine white powdery ash. We waste it really cause it only gets burnt in an outside fire or open tin fireplace in the shack. We just burn wattle most of the time but when it's dry and I'm a bit worried about fires we burn something decent and keep it just ticking over. Wattle throws alot of sparks and burns red hot.

Back