the all aussie dribble thread!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is the duro chain worth getting for cutting roots? Got a digger coming tomorrow for the drainlayer on a building job and might take the chance to pull a few stumps out and cut a few roots of a council tree that are lifting the driveway and diving under the house. What could possibly go wrong?

Is the duro chain worth getting for cutting roots? Got a digger coming tomorrow for the drainlayer on a building job and might take the chance to pull a few stumps out and cut a few roots of a council tree that are lifting the driveway and diving under the house. What could possibly go wrong?

It is but only if there is not rocks present in the soil. Even small ones will stuff the chain.
Don't use your favorite bar

I cut heaps of similar roots vs road footpath driveway etc with stihl RDR tungsten. It will cut them just fine better if you can get good access and clean the bulk dirt off,,, oh find a hard nose bar or to be junk roller tip as will only take so much dirt..
Once knackered but this will take good ROI return on investment time if your carefull you'll need to get sharpened at Stihl dealer who got a $600 diamond green wheel mine charges $25 for loop of 3/8 18 inch bar they come up 80% good never 100% and after some use you'll need to shorten chain by a link as they flog out and stretch beyond adjustment

Obviously be mindful if the roots a supporting feature of the tree structure..
thumbnail_IMG_20180628_100256.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_20180628_100534.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_20180413_105736.jpg

how did you go with it kiwi.
Used a digger :) and ripped the fuggers out. I suspect the owner will have a council-induced 'please explain' moment sometime soon, when the council tree starts looking rather unhappy. Regarding this homeowner, one can only lead stubborn asses to water but if they refuse to drink the logic let them suffer the consequences. He seems to think he is immune to the level of grief council suits revel in inflicting upon people like him. They can go to town on this guy if they wanted to. I calculate about $60k worth of work and costs/fees, excluding fines, if the council got involved. I figure he practically invited them to do so when he said rip those council tree roots out. We ripped so much more out than what I' consider reasonable. Time will tell.

Used a digger :) and ripped the fuggers out. I suspect the owner will have a council-induced 'please explain' moment sometime soon, when the council tree starts looking rather unhappy. Regarding this homeowner I'm working for one can only lead stubborn asses to water but if they refuse to drink the logic let them suffer the consequences. He seems to think he is immune to the level of grief council suits revel in inflicting upon people like this home owner. They can go to town on this guy if they wanted to. I calculate about $60k worth of work and costs/fees, excluding fines, if the council got involved. I figure he practically invited them to do so when he said rip those council tree roots out. Time will tell.

yeah i deal with these trespass roots matters all the time, its not a problem till someone sooks to your LG shire or the tree declines or falls over & both of these events rarer than rocking horse ****.. Cover your tracks and say nuthin as the words,, reasonably foreseeable consequences if knew, or should have known, that by your action by cutting roots may cause harm or damage...

if the time or interest tons of reading to be done under search of " common law of trespass abatement trees"
this one ok
https://www.disputes.vic.gov.au/sit...0/Nuisance_by_Tree_Joel_Sliver_May_2015_2.pdf

Kiwi

Jobs like that cash only, and run.

They come at the home owner and the first thing he will do is say, "I engaged Kiwi to do the work, he is an expert, and he said to do it like this....."

Food for thought

Kiwi

Jobs like that cash only, and run.

They come at the home owner and the first thing he will do is say, "I engaged Kiwi to do the work, he is an expert, and he said to do it like this....."

Food for thought
Thanks for that. My arse is covered. Made sure of that from the outset when I realised no designs, no permits, make it up as we go along kinda job. I'd need two hands to count the by-law and building code violations thus far, not to mention just general incompetent building. Illegal stormwater connections (two thus far) to council mains, I've jacked and packed the house beyond best practice, started building a non-consented deck yesterday after a digger mowed through the council's tree roots, done new work to an inter-tenancy wall that won't meet fire or building code regs, etc, etc.

Owner is one of those rich people who prefer to just get it done his way and only ask for permission retrospectively if ever get caught. He can afford to pay to have it all done properly when council gets involved. Was telling mate a while back it'll be a ground-hog job. We'll do it all again, only properly, when council tell him to.

Back