the all aussie dribble thread!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks mate, I might warm it up and dip in some grease. Put 5 tanks through the new top end yesterday, got some firewood done. The 4300 is a ripper for the smaller stuff and can really whip it around IMG_20200417_163345.jpg

Welcome Hulsty, thats a good trailer load, I like a cage, you can bring a good load back, I see you load them flat too, so they dont push out against the cage mesh and damage it or pull out the welds.
Those rounds are cut quite short, do you feed a rayburn as well ?

Some nice blue atop the pile as well.
Re the rollers on bar tips, if there is no grease hole, I just clean them gently with air, dont buzz them up so they spin at 15000rpm , and then put a bit of oil in the bar oil bottle cap, and dribble a bit into the sprocket and rotate the sprocket so the roller bearings get a good dose of oil and your good to go, normal oiling from the saw should keep it supplied there after.

by warm, do you mean too hot to touch, ie over 50c or just warm to the touch.
Normally, tuning a saw, and running it out of the wood, the oiler pumps out plenty of oil and it makes a good old mess, and drips / flings oil everywhere, so is the oiler working correctly ? would have expected the roller tip to have been well oiled during that process.

Thanks mate, I might warm it up and dip in some grease. Put 5 tanks through the new top end yesterday, got some firewood done. The 4300 is a ripper for the smaller stuff and can really whip it around View attachment 819445

Nice load of wood mate. I live in the country and laugh every time I see a 4x4 from the city come to the country to collect firewood. They’ll have a trailer or hire a trailer like yours and put about 4 wheelbarrow loads of wood in it and think that they’ve done a great job. Although I’m glad they don’t fill the trailers up too much with decent wood because they wouldn’t have a clue how much weight is in the trailer.

Thanks, nah not hot, just warm to touch, so under 50c, probably no issue. Short rounds just so I could pick them up, pretty dense stuff

Thanks, nah not hot, just warm to touch, so under 50c, probably no issue. Short rounds just so I could pick them up, pretty dense stuff

Yeah, good idea, I tidied up a small branch the other day off the fence line, funny how they get bigger once you go back to them and cut them up.

Only a small load, but was enough after bringing the larger bits up out the creek.

Nice saw mate, I’ve heard they’re great. Is that a piece of yellow box that you have cut up? I found some on a mate’s farm a couple of weeks ago but wasn’t 100% sure what species it was. [emoji51]

Most likely sugar gum, but I am no expert on identifying eucs, sorry, stringy when split, tears up gloves in 2 min, splinters are like nails, but burns very hot after 3 years drying.
yeah, traded a few saws and finally got one cheap, needed clutch drum, springs, fuel filter, carb kit etc, bar and chain were toast, Had a basic stihl bar handy to put on it, but would like a sugi lightweight.
Any wood gotten now is for next year or later, even dead and "dry" on the ground its still 30% moisture, tho some smaller bits up off the ground are ok to burn now.
Those timber tongs are really worth while too, make lifting up dry or wet wood a breeze, and moving larger rounds much easier.

Sugar gum here

trailerload2.jpg

I've been stood down from work 2 days a week, spent today cutting another load, went mostly well, except my DCS7901 broke the brake spring! Went past the tool shop on the way home, $33, should have it in a few days.

I've been stood down from work 2 days a week, spent today cutting another load, went mostly well, except my DCS7901 broke the brake spring! Went past the tool shop on the way home, $33, should have it in a few days.
There was a recall for potential chainbrake problems. I wonder if Makita Aus would sort it for you FOC even if it wasn't the exact problem that gave rise to the recall, while they do whatever it is they need to for the recall.

https://www.makita.com.au/service-support/recall-general-information
Scroll down the page for the details.

Thanks mate, mine has had the recall done awhile back. FYO the P/n for the spring has not changed
In the states at least, Makita have a kung flu promo where they will pay the shipping both ways and cover the labour, if anyone with a makita tool sends it in for repairs, thus the owner just pays for parts. I wonder if Aus or NZ will do the same? Probably not but interesting promo. I've maybe 20 Makita tools and can only think of a few minor things that need repairs. Otherwise it's all remarkably good.

The story of my life, missed it [emoji30] what was wrong with it?
Fuel leak so best case split line worst case tank? Someone got a bargain. Or maybe a scorched p&c from an air leak in fuel line and resulting lean scream/seize?

Bugger, ah well. Thanks for sharing anyway. Feel free to tell us if you see any cheap Stihl saws that pop up [emoji1305]

few more sticks craned away today 661 did its thing easy,, we got a huge chunk on tomoz so got it smik sharp ready to go

solid bit of sugar gum off to timber mill
View attachment 821321

View attachment 821322

a few ugly bits of rotten blue gum off as landscape feature logs
View attachment 821323View attachment 821324
Sweet. What sort of mill is it going to? Would be great to find someone around here who would call if they're cutting millable logs. The local guys have their own mill though :-(

but, milling urban trees is always a lottery. Need a good metal detector.

Dropped a heavy leaner yesterday. Couldn't wait any longer for the neighbour to get off her wallet and have it down before it wrecked the boundary fence. It's in a patch of gum trees but I'm not sure if is gum or acacia, but am thinking you guys will probably know.
I don't have any pictures of the leaves up close but here's my slash pile
slashPile.jpg

Here's the trunk. The brown heart and white sap wood makes me wonder if it's acacia. It has a different bark to the wattles I've cut in the past though.
trunkRoundsGround.jpg

First thought was gum but now I'm not so sure.

Sweet. What sort of mill is it going to? Would be great to find someone around here who would call if they're cutting millable logs. The local guys have their own mill though :-(

but, milling urban trees is always a lottery. Need a good metal detector.

Dropped a heavy leaner yesterday. Couldn't wait any longer for the neighbour to get off her wallet and have it down before it wrecked the boundary fence. It's in a patch of gum trees but I'm not sure if is gum or acacia, but am thinking you guys will probably know.
I don't have any pictures of the leaves up close but here's my slash pile
View attachment 821603

Here's the trunk. The brown heart and white sap wood makes me wonder if it's acacia. It has a different bark to the wattles I've cut in the past though.
View attachment 821604

First thought was gum but now I'm not so sure.

thinking its Acacia melanoxylon,, blackwood good burning when dry and easy to split by hand maul

dont know what type of mill he runs its farm yard with timber and cut boards i just plonk em down and he txt me thumbs up
thumbnail_1587633605740.jpg

i got this dead pine to sox weekend looks easy nuff but behind it and not sure how it leans or close is 12.6 kv SWER pole and line so i may yet decide its not safe to do,,,, either ways i be wearing me noggin bucket and GTFO running shoes for this pile shite
IMG_0249.jpg

Latest posts

Back