the all aussie dribble thread!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
yes I think you would need them fat race bars to run 9 or 10 pins

You may get away with a 9 pin on an 090 bar tail only because they are so big compared to a standard Stihl or Husky. A 10 pin though I'm not so sure. I know an 8 pin .404" on my 3120 causes the chain to chew into the rubber chip deflector. Any larger and you have to start modifying your saw too much unless it's for racing although an 090 has a fair bit of room under the clutch cover.

what these

attachment.php
on the 880 the 9x 3/8 fits with heaps of room,the 10x 3/8ths fits good also,no mods needed

Last edited:
ok thanks but dont think stock it would pull a 10 pin maybe with a 20in bar...i will see how it goes with the 8 pin Cheers...:msp_wink:

i would forget the big sprockets on your saw.
years back i used 084's for falling logs, they run at the time 7 and 8 tooth in 404. 7 tooth sprockets were just right for 30 inch bars and superchisel chain. I changed on advise from my boss to 8 tooth sprockets and oregon 27A skip semi chisel, that was a better combination.
That worked very well until later just near the end of my 084 days when we were shown a new chain, CJX designed by Kent Huntington from Oregon, a totaly new design with basicly a 404 cutter on a 3/8 chain in 063 guage, also it was skip profile and the tooth was square and designed to file with a special flat file.
12 months of learning square fileing, 5 and 6 days a week and the new chain became the standard chain for all top professional log fallers on the north coast of NSW. the 084 running 8 tooth 3/8 sprockets loved it and it cut thick bark like butter.
My first 3120 was set up for CJX and 30 and 36 inch bars and those saws were awsome.
I still use CJX in my own operation today and still is the first choice of chain for the few remaining pro log cutters on the north coast.

Splitpost,,,
lovely line up of big sprockets, esential for our raceing but i feel they are unnesessary for work uses, but if your useing them to your advantage, good luck to you.

Last edited:
Hey guys I got a phone call from my insurance guy last night, they had taken my smashed 066 the other week, the guy said
they had given it to somone else to look at and he had offered them $550 for it, this made me a bit mad as I had contacted
them and we had a bit of an agreement I would get first go and the guy said I would get it back for about $200,
so now if want it I have to give them $600!:angry:
I will not be paying that for it, it is worth that but I have not got $600 laying around for it, it needs a new sproket cover, top handle, chain break handle and a flywheel cover,
but if anyone is interested in it I have untill monday to get back to them, if you want to see photos or talk about it PM me and
I will contact you.

I have got a funnie feeling the insurance guy is pulling this for a mate, In the letter from the insurance company to the Stihl dealer it said fix or replace, they said nothing about taking the saw back, just the broker got all intersted in it when I asked for it,:msp_mad:
I asked him who had looked at it and he would not give details other then say it was a backyarder!

Do you guys think I should go over his head to the companys claims dept and see what they know about the sale of the saw?

Hey guys I got a phone call from my insurance guy last night, they had taken my smashed 066 the other week, the guy said
they had given it to somone else to look at and he had offered them $550 for it, this made me a bit mad as I had contacted
them and we had a bit of an agreement I would get first go and the guy said I would get it back for about $200,
I will not be paying that for it, it is worth that but I have not got $600 laying around for it, it needs a new sproket cover, top handle, chain break handle and a flywheel cover,
but if anyone is interested in it I have untill monday to get back to them, if you want to see photos or talk about it PM me and
I will contact you.

I have got a funnie feeling the insurance guy is pulling this for a mate, In the letter from the insurance company to the Stihl dealer it said fix or replace, they said nothing about taking the saw back, just the broker got all intersted in it when I asked for it,:msp_mad:
I asked him who had looked at it and he would not give details other then say it was a backyarder!

Do you guys think I should go over his head to the companys claims dept and see what they know about the sale of the saw?

Yeah, why not, chase it up, I would. There can be alot gained by not "letting dogs lie"

Splitpost,,,
lovely line up of big sprockets, esential for our raceing but i feel they are unnesessary for work uses, but if your useing them to your advantage, good luck to you.

they're really just for kicks,but i have used the 10x3/8 to rip some posts with the 880 ,what a difference,probly go back to a 7 when i beat the hell out of a few chains:biggrin:

I will contact you.

i have never heard of claiming a damaged saw in our industry, thats a new one on me Dallas.
I had had a few wrecks in my falling career but i had to just get a new one to replace and relagate the old one to spare parts.
But if you do have damage insurance, i would be getting what ever you can, after all your paying for it in your premians.

they're really just for kicks,but i have used the 10x3/8 to rip some posts with the 880 ,what a difference,probly go back to a 7 when i beat the hell out of a few chains

Splitpost,,,
Yea i hear you there,,, the novelty will wear off soon enough, the other thing with those sprockets is they will wear faster than a normal sprocket. I know guys who have replaced the pins with new ones and bicycle chain links are popular.

Last edited:
i have never heard of claiming a damaged saw in our industry, thats a new one on me Dallas.
I had had a few wrecks in my falling career but i had to just get a new one to replace and relagate the old one to spare parts.
But if you do have damage insurance, i would be getting what ever you can, after all your paying for it in your premians.

Splitpost,,,
Yea i hear you there,,, the novelty will wear off soon enough, the other thing with those sprockets is they will wear faster than a normal sprocket. I know guys who have replaced the pins with new ones and bicycle chain links are popular.

Yeah same here no seen a saw claim done apart from theft jobs, whats yur excess on your policy. anyhoo get em if you can.

At certain risk of getting abused,,,,,
is the beforementioned 090 precision speed race still going ahead as planned or has if been postfoned indefinantly.

inquireing minds want to know :confused:
(i asked here as i don't want to be acused of chokeing bob's 090 alky thread up and getting it off its intended coarse):msp_thumbsup:

At certain risk of getting abused,,,,,
is the beforementioned 090 precision speed race still going ahead as planned or has if been postfoned indefinantly.

inquireing minds want to know :confused:
(i asked here as i don't want to be acused of chokeing bob's 090 alky thread up and getting it off its intended coarse):msp_thumbsup:

well well well maybe maybe, would we all have go to QLD to do it? or sould we just have a privet event somewhere?
what about an all Aussie GTG?

as for the insurance claim on the 066 it all went through with no probs, I only had to pay $250 excess and got a new MS660,
there is a few ways to claim for a saw, "depending on how it happend", I have looked into it bit sometime ago when a mate buggered a saw, if anyone would like to know send me PM with your number and I will give you some tips.

Gee what a beaut day. Tshirt weather! One would think Spring was just around the corner, but months till the weather makes a start at warming up! :msp_thumbdn:

My wife, myself and my fury kid, Axel went to the Yack pub for a countery on my only day off. A great day to be outside on this day! :msp_thumbsup:

Have a great week fella's.

Gee what a beaut day. Tshirt weather! One would think Spring was just around the corner, but months till the weather makes a start at warming up! :msp_thumbdn:

My wife, myself and my fury kid, Axel went to the Yack pub for a countery on my only day off. A great day to be outside on this day! :msp_thumbsup:

Have a great week fella's.

Yeah, it was real nice weather Al, I finally got a chance to do some spot spraying :rose-dead:

Oh and worked on some saws too :hammer: :beer:

Last edited:
Back