the all aussie dribble thread!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Funny you say not as popular in the USA as here. In the book I have, by Warren Page, he had some roll in the development of the .222. Reading the book makes it sound like at that time (70s) it was king of bench rest shooting. I think he had 9 national bench rest shooting titles under his belt among other things.

Yes, as I said, it was the bench rest round of the time, but the US wasn't into .22 centrifires for hunting, unlike here, so it didn't have the popularity outside bench resting.

The .222 was the roo/general shooting round here in the 70's and 80's, even when I bought my first new rifle which was a .223 around '83-84.

Yes, as I said, it was the bench rest round of the time, but the US wasn't into .22 centrifires for hunting, unlike here, so it didn't have the popularity outside bench resting.

The .222 was the roo/general shooting round here in the 70's and 80's, even when I bought my first new rifle which was a .223 around '83-84.

Funny how good rounds don't take off in different places. nothing wrong with the 222 but the 223 is way more popular and what about the forgotten 2 22 magnum, there was never anything wrong with them either, or the 220 swift.

I'm more than happy with my 223 stainless, a great little all round bang stick that everyone can shoot.
I had the use of a SKS once, norico bullets, what a combination,,,,,,not. it was maybe just shot out and needed re barrelling, It sat in my old wardrobe for years forgotton.

I have no idea what you said??

Matt, any big reason not to go .222 over .223. Im reading good things about .222 for paper punching. Is availability that bad?

I'm not sure I can understand what I wrote either :)
No problem with .222 availability and it was pretty well the target round of choice before the PPC's came along. My brother has a tricked out .222 on a Rem 700 action. Has beaten a lot of PPC's on the range but this is with Lapua brass and turned necks etc. The only issue if you can call it that is the .222's come standard with a 1:14 twist so won't stabilise projectiles very well above 60gn.
Rabbits are thick at the in-law's farm and I flattened 41 with the .222 out to about 280m. Missed a few longer ones by aiming too high but bowled 10 bunnits in one spot, one after the other in about 2 minutes, and actually had to give the CZ a rest as the barrel got too hot.
The rabbits didn't know it wasn't a .223 :)

Last edited:
. Missed a few longer ones by aiming too high but bowled 10 bunnits in one spot, one after the other in about 2 minutes, and actually had to give the CZ a rest as the barrel got too hot.
The rabbits didn't know it wasn't a .223

Where's the video as you know no video it just didn't happen

Sound like your having fun Matt.
[quote="MCW, post: 4612310
Rabbits are thick at the in-law's farm and I flattened 41 with the .222 out to about 280m. Missed a few longer ones by aiming too high but bowled 10 bunnits in one spot, one after the other in about 2 minutes, and actually had to give the CZ a rest as the barrel got too hot.
The rabbits didn't know it wasn't a .223 :)
[/QUOTE]

Sounds like your having fun Matt, don't worry about missing a few long shots,,,,, I'm very good at missing a lot closer than that.

Just a quick Q on barrels.

Who makes a nicely accurate, good quality and relatively affordable SS barrel these days?

My sister is becoming a mad keen shooter and wants to use my rifles and my Howa really does need rebarrelling, it's the world's worst copper fouler and its accuracy is mediocre at best.
Good enough for s hunting rifle, but not good enough, if you know what I mean!

May even get it rechambered, it's currently a .243 so would have to remain a 'short' cartridge as its a short action receiver.

Suggestions?

There are a few good barrel manufacturers around Rick. Make sure you get a well known brand such as Kreiger, Maddco, MAB, Shilen etc etc but always try to get a lapped barrel to make cleaning easier. Sprinter Arms in Hahndorf make really accurate barrels but he is dead against lapping barrels which is fair enough but they are bastards to clean. Good bloke though and owns basically every reamer under the sun including Wildcats you've never heard of. The Kreiger barrel I have fitted to my Winchester Model 70 in .22/250 Ackley was chambered and fitted by Keith Bridgeman at Sprinter. Barrels aside though just make sure whoever chambers it knows what they're doing or you can have a good barrel that won't shoot for sh*t. As far as calibres go it depends what you want to shoot. The .243 is a good all rounder.

Remember though that a good barrel plus chambering and fitting will cost around a grand.

Ooh ! That's me! I guess I better front up and claim the prize.
Fund raiser was for a great cause for one of the blokes that was in deep ****. So glad I could help out.

Congratulations mate and it couldn't have gone to a nicer bloke. The guys involved with this fundraiser couldn't believe that somebody from across the globe would help out like you did. It was greatly appreciated and I owe you a beer too.

Congratulations mate and it couldn't have gone to a nicer bloke. The guys involved with this fundraiser couldn't believe that somebody from across the globe would help out like you did. It was greatly appreciated and I owe you a beer too.
Thanks Matt the 1st. I just reckon u shouldn't let distance stop helping some one out! It's so easy to do these days with the inter web thingy.

Just on a side note. I know nothing about guns but my mates and I love this clip. Hope the link works.

Who makes a nicely accurate, good quality and relatively affordable SS barrel these days?

My sister is becoming a mad keen shooter and wants to use my rifles and my Howa really does need rebarrelling, it's the world's worst copper fouler and its accuracy is mediocre at best.

May even get it rechambered, it's currently a .243 so would have to remain a 'short' cartridge as its a short action receiver.

Suggestions?

Madco barrels australian and awesome

Would that be because the majority of hunting in Nth America being for larger beast than rabbits and foxes?

Would that be because the majority of hunting in Nth America being for larger beast than rabbits and foxes?

Actually they hunt a lot of smaller stuff like Prairie Dogs etc. Probably the bigger is better type scenario plus the fact that they seem to like the .223 now, particularly if the rifle has the word "tactical" in it's name. All you need is a thick barrel and a black stock and bingo, it's instantly tactical, even if it shoots 5" groups at 100m :)

Suggestions?
rick before we can rec a barrel what is ya sister going to shoot rabbits or something like pigs deer or just paper punching
on a 308 case you can go from 22 to 35 cal no probs and can she tolerate recoil if she can a 260 rem would be good thats a 6.5 08

and yes a 223 can be accurate this is my rem 700 223 the action has been blue printed and the barrel is a MAB no 5 profile
IMG_0678 (Small).JPG

cheers D

Most of my rabbit hunting is done with a .22LR. Whitetail deer can be hunted with .22 centerfire but it's not real common, most use .243/6mm and larger. I use a .270, it's not necessary probably, but I like having a bit more downrange energy. Some of my shooting is done out to 350M across the length of a hay field. 140GR Nosler Ballistic Tips make sure they don't go far if I hit them right.

About 400mi west of me starts prairie dog country. .223 and .22-250 seem most common out there (I've only done it once, want to go back again soon), you can burn a lot of ammo in a good day shooting prairie dogs, hence the .223's popularity. I don't really know why the .222 never caught on much here.

Other than deer, rabbits, and squirrels, the rest of my hunting is birds. Mainly pheasant and grouse for me. Remington 870 in 12ga gets the job for that.

Thanks Matt the 1st. I just reckon u shouldn't let distance stop helping some one out! It's so easy to do these days with the inter web thingy.

Just on a side note. I know nothing about guns but my mates and I love this clip. Hope the link works.

Congrats on the saw Vince!

Tom Knapp was one of the best trick shooters out there, and a heck of a showman as well. I got to see him at our local gun club a couple years back, it was a great show and I got to speak to him a little afterward as well.

Tom died back in April, RIP.

There are a few good barrel manufacturers around Rick. Make sure you get a well known brand such as Kreiger, Maddco, MAB, Shilen etc etc but always try to get a lapped barrel to make cleaning easier. Sprinter Arms in Hahndorf make really accurate barrels but he is dead against lapping barrels which is fair enough but they are bastards to clean. Good bloke though and owns basically every reamer under the sun including Wildcats you've never heard of. The Kreiger barrel I have fitted to my Winchester Model 70 in .22/250 Ackley was chambered and fitted by Keith Bridgeman at Sprinter. Barrels aside though just make sure whoever chambers it knows what they're doing or you can have a good barrel that won't shoot for sh*t. As far as calibres go it depends what you want to shoot. The .243 is a good all rounder.

Remember though that a good barrel plus chambering and fitting will cost around a grand.

Thanks Matt, good to know Madco is still around, that's who I was going to use twenty years ago.

I originally went for the 243 as I was loading 70 grain pills for the little stuff and used 95g Nosler positions got the stuff that mattered.

Should've really had a 270, 7mm Rem mag or similar for that stuff and lusted after either a custom rig, Sako 85 or a Browning but I was spending all my hard earned on motor racing back then.

Latest posts

Back