the all aussie dribble thread!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I used to use them Speer 70 grainers with 41 grains of 2208 in my old .243 (Ruger VT) with good resullts,the only reason i went away from them was there b.c is not real flash.

Not sure if you do any B.C. checks via a ballistic's program but the difference over normal hunting ranges isn't as significant as you may think. I did a comparison between the relatively slippery 100gn .257" Ballistic Tip and the house brick like 100gn .257" Speer HP and the difference in drop at 500m was only in the order of 10".
At 1000m the difference is significant but at shorter ranges there isn't much to it. There was also some technical data I read a number of years ago that showed how boat tailed bullets can increase throat erosion. I'm not sure how sound the data was but in made interesting reading.
I love the Ballistic Tips but in certain calibres they are getting far too expensive. It only takes a quick check with US reloading component suppliers to realise that it isn't only chainsaws we get shafted on in Australia. 3 years ago I was paying $44/100 for .257" 100gn Ballistic Tips. Now I am paying over $60. In the US I'd be paying around $34.

I used the 87gn Speer TNT's in my .25/06 for a while but found they were too explosive and had poor penetration on anything but foxes and rabbits. They were good out of the .222 though on bunnies :) The .22/250 was too fast for them as from memory they had a 3,600fps limit on the .224" 50 grain projectiles.

yes we do have one within the race community, normally we don't advertise it outside that, same as the wood chopping community. I can let you know where and when if your interested.

18000 revs per month is achievable Matt, the crank will stand that mate, will stay nicely oiled up running blue oil from you all know who. weather i want to run it that long is another question.

Some of the nsw racing would be good to see qld is a bit far how ever

The Barnes Gradades do all right as well.

Picture12.jpg

Ya i hear whay your sayimg there Matt and i agree.
This was some time ago but i do recall with the same powder weights the ballistic tips spat out at higher velocitys than the flat base H.Ps
I will have to go back and look in my notes to be shore.
With cost this will depend on if you shoot 200 rounds per year or 2000 but i must say the ballistic tips look heaps sexyer.
But they both will shoot very well if ya play around some.

Didg Camera Photos 070.jpg

Not sure if you do any B.C. checks via a ballistic's program but the difference over normal hunting ranges isn't as significant as you may think. I did a comparison between the relatively slippery 100gn .257" Ballistic Tip and the house brick like 100gn .257" Speer HP and the difference in drop at 500m was only in the order of 10".
At 1000m the difference is significant but at shorter ranges there isn't much to it. There was also some technical data I read a number of years ago that showed how boat tailed bullets can increase throat erosion. I'm not sure how sound the data was but in made interesting reading.
I love the Ballistic Tips but in certain calibres they are getting far too expensive. It only takes a quick check with US reloading component suppliers to realise that it isn't only chainsaws we get shafted on in Australia. 3 years ago I was paying $44/100 for .257" 100gn Ballistic Tips. Now I am paying over $60. In the US I'd be paying around $34.

I used the 87gn Speer TNT's in my .25/06 for a while but found they were too explosive and had poor penetration on anything but foxes and rabbits. They were good out of the .222 though on bunnies :) The .22/250 was too fast for them as from memory they had a 3,600fps limit on the .224" 50 grain projectiles.
Aint that the truth:mad:

This was some time ago but i do recall with the same powder weights the ballistic tips spat out at higher velocitys than the flat base H.Ps
I will have to go back and look in my notes to be shore.
With cost this will depend on if you shoot 200 rounds per year or 2000 but i must say the ballistic tips look heaps sexyer.
But they both will shoot very well if ya play around some.

I agree and found just the other day that the 100gn .257" Ballistic Tips were coming out a bit faster than the Hornady 100gn Interlock flat based projectiles with the same primer and powder.
I have to do a bit more work though reloading as my velocity spread was a bit too high with some loads at 80-100fps which isn't ideal :( AR2213SC doesn't seem to throw as evenly as I'd like. I might go back to hand weighing a few loads to see if this helps.
The Ballistic Tips are a great projectile but when I priced 1000 of them and the difference between the .257" 100gn Ballistic Tips and the 100gn Speer HP's was $200 I decided enough was enough. I mean that is 4 cartons of beer for crying out loud :D

***EDIT: Another issue I've found using standard lead nosed soft points over the plastic pointed projectiles is tip damage. Even though the .25/06 isn't a hard kicker I have folded a few noses over in the magazine from recoil where the rounds have moved forward and hit the front of the magazine. In the plastic magazines on the Tikka T3 I've actually had the Ballistic Tips put dings in the magazine from recoil.

Last edited:
:D The last bulk packs (250) of Nosler 70 grain ballistic tips i got were $85 so i stocked up on um.
I like the way everything relates back to beer,i like your thinkin.

How do ya put the smileys at the end ?.

What did you guys get for xmas
Let me start,i got the stihl backpack and kit bag,the toy was a prezzie for my daughter,she plays with it the most:D
e4evahe6.jpg

Just went outside and its another warm one,temp gauge up again at 45*c:eek:

:D The last bulk packs (250) of Nosler 70 grain ballistic tips i got were $85 so i stocked up on um.
I like the way everything relates back to beer,i like your thinkin.

How do ya put the smileys at the end ?.

When you reply there is a small smiley face that you click on above your text. I thought the "Beer Standard" of costing was recognised Australia wide?

I was just in the thread about MM (Randy) leaving. Seems they locked the thread, but some can still post??? and says I don't have enough privileges to post. WTF, does that mean I have not licked enough nut sacks? If it wasn't for this thread, I would have left this site pretty much all together long ago.

I was just in the thread about MM (Randy) leaving. Seems they locked the thread, but some can still post??? and says I don't have enough privileges to post. WTF, does that mean I have not licked enough nut sacks? If it wasn't for this thread, I would have left this site pretty much all together long ago.

WHAT! theres other threads to post in ??? bugger me

Back