the all aussie dribble thread!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The V8 79 series cruiser utes and the Troopies are only a single turbo Rick, not twins like the 200 series sedans.

Also the Isuzu motors are tough but even they've gone downhill from the old 2.8's in the 90's. I had a mate of mine do a turbo in under warranty on the 2005 model. Apparently a batch of turbo housings had no lip machined to stop the welch plug getting sucked into the turbo. At 30,000km under full throttle BANG it pulled a welch plug into the impeller. Luckily no internal engine damage and after a new turbo it's still going after 300,000km. Had two gearboxes in it though :)

Ah the good old days...Ford four speed toploader..clunky shift but very very hard to kill....seen a lot of blokes try including me.You would think by 2014 they could make a gearbox that would hold together...perhaps they dont want to :(

Tru Blu Oils are on the web. If you can pick up from the factory they're cheap. If you want to get it freighted then you'll pay a fortune. I priced getting some and I had to pay freight from the factory into Melbourne then freight to me. It near doubled the price of a 20L drum. If you are near a dealer who sells Jakmax oil maybe get a price there as well.

:( If Australian Stihl were not so greedy i would get there stuf here.
it amazes me how much markup is on stihl products in ozz i dont mind big business making money but the prices they charge are extortion i spoke to a stihl dealer on the other side of town the other day winging about the price of saws i told him i can buy saws direct from the usa cheaper than his trade price also from fleabay cheaper than his price he told me that stihl australia are aware of this apparently they will be reviewing the priceing i told him that the price of the 660 is $1999 rrp but i remember the 066 the same price apparently stihl sales on saws are down 30% on last year it not a suprise to me

it amazes me how much markup is on stihl products in ozz i dont mind big business making money but the prices they charge are extortion i spoke to a stihl dealer on the other side of town the other day winging about the price of saws i told him i can buy saws direct from the usa cheaper than his trade price also from fleabay cheaper than his price he told me that stihl australia are aware of this apparently they will be reviewing the priceing i told him that the price of the 660 is $1999 rrp but i remember the 066 the same price apparently stihl sales on saws are down 30% on last year it not a suprise to me

Stihl dealers in Australia have been complaining about this for ages. You now have Australian businesses importing Stihl saws by the container load from the US then offering a warranty. Customers assume this is then an Australia wide Stihl backed warranty but it's not. It is a non Stihl in house warranty offered by the seller. They then take broken Stihl saw to Stihl dealer to be told its not covered.
Stihl Australia have already started dropping some prices but are watching threads like this very closely. No rules against getting saws via a 3rd party but if you do any direct deals with Stihl dealers in the US they risk losing their dealership. Stihl Australia actively buy saws from eBay etc and track serial numbers to see which US dealers they are coming from.

Stihl dealers in Australia have been complaining about this for ages. You now have Australian businesses importing Stihl saws by the container load from the US then offering a warranty. Customers assume this is then an Australia wide Stihl backed warranty but it's not. It is a non Stihl in house warranty offered by the seller. They then take broken Stihl saw to Stihl dealer to be told its not covered.
Stihl Australia have already started dropping some prices but are watching threads like this very closely. No rules against getting saws via a 3rd party but if you do any direct deals with Stihl dealers in the US they risk losing their dealership. Stihl Australia actively buy saws from eBay etc and track serial numbers to see which US dealers they are coming from.
buying saws through a third party is ok i dont worry about the warranty to much if something goes wrong with it i would just repair it myself ithink its great that stihl australia checking serial # i wouldnt want any dealer to lose there dealer ship over a saw but i hope it is a reality check for them maybe it could be a win for the ozzy consumer i know friends of mine that are almost jealous of my stihl stable saying they would love stihl products but are to expensive all of my gear has been purchased through ozz dealers

I have a heap of saws and only a few were bought in Australia. I have no issues with people importing saws at all and Stihl Australia need a kick in the nuts for some of their pricing to their dealers. We just have to be careful how much info we put out on public display. A few guys here imported MS241's a while ago from the UK. They were half the price of buying one in Australia. They had a web link that a few guys posted (including myself) and bang, Stihl gave them a warning and no more online sales. If we'd have shut our mouths that option would still be open.
Saw warranties don't bother me either but some of these online Stihl businesses actually portray themselves as genuine Stihl dealers when they're not and that is something I don't agree with. The average consumer has no idea.

I have a heap of saws and only a few were bought in Australia. I have no issues with people importing saws at all and Stihl Australia need a kick in the nuts for some of their pricing to their dealers. We just have to be careful how much info we put out on public display. A few guys here imported MS241's a while ago from the UK. They were half the price of buying one in Australia. They had a web link that a few guys posted (including myself) and bang, Stihl gave them a warning and no more online sales. If we'd have shut our mouths that option would still be open.
Saw warranties don't bother me either but some of these online Stihl businesses actually portray themselves as genuine Stihl dealers when they're not and that is something I don't agree with. The average consumer has no idea.
couldnt agree more matt like you said the average guy on the street has no idea at all

nice cook,,,, I had Ruger 96/44 in ma hands was brand new in box 4 years back $1000 and I thought about it to much and left the on the shop counter Dang even if i not shot it as i have no quarrel with pig bear or lions it be worth $1500 now

That's the model I'm after too with a red dot fitted gold for pigs

Ah the good old days...Ford four speed toploader..clunky shift but very very hard to kill....seen a lot of blokes try including me.You would think by 2014 they could make a gearbox that would hold together...perhaps they dont want to :(

Your spot on dave but the biggest issue is the clutches hilux and navara clutches we sell on a daily basis I think its the fuse for a piss weak transmission the first landy I had was a 72 range rover with an lt95 4 speed in the uk in the eaRly 90s when the first of the v8 chev diesels came out the poms happily bolted these to the lt95 no worries in Australia the army used them in there 4x4 and 6x6 land rovers with the Isuzu 4bd1 and the 4bd1t 3.9 litre out of there light truck and they couldn't kill the lt95 box yet the same engine will shake an Allison auto to bits. Now we get transmissions right on there limmit of what they can handle with no real margin for more power We really are being short changed

Last edited:
It amazes me how many people want Stihl's sales but don't want the hassles of being a riddgie didge dealer tough luck to those who wrought the system bloody backyarders hope Stihl continues cracking down on ya's

I got no problem with my Stihl dealers, neither does anyone else around my parts. all depends on there attitude towards good business with the locals.

My stihl dealer seems well intentioned, but really wants you to listen to him talk. His main achievement that he has told me about was putting .404 chain in his 066, something he said was "hard to do". This forum would prove otherwise.

My stihl dealer seems well intentioned, but really wants you to listen to him talk. His main achievement that he has told me about was putting .404 chain in his 066, something he said was "hard to do". This forum would prove otherwise.

It's probably hard for him as he never uses saws :) Probably gets tricked by the circlip holding the rim sprocket on. I mean it is at least a 2 minute job.

Back