the all aussie dribble thread!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A question for everyone. For those who use bars with grease able noses 1) what grease do you use in your grease gun and 2) does any one work on the theory of grease it once initially then let the bar and cutter lube do the job as not to push dirt into the hole when greasing or grease regularly and risk pushing dirt in

Cheers

All bob did wasView attachment 355968and cause trouble everytime theView attachment 355969he would just lash out at everyone

It wasn't just on this site either. He's a member on basically every single chainsaw site I've ever seen. All he does is regurgitate the same stories globally on every single site he can.
I never fell for his stories either as I was lucky enough to know some of the Australian chainsaw racing guys well before I knew Bob. They filled me in from the get go.
I don't really like McCullochs anyway :)

It wasn't just on this site either. He's a member on basically every single chainsaw site I've ever seen. All he does is regurgitate the same stories globally on every single site he can.
I never fell for his stories either as I was lucky enough to know some of the Australian chainsaw racing guys well before I knew Bob. They filled me in from the get go.
I don't really like McCullochs anyway :)
I never liked the way he would white ant everyone its all fun having a bit of fun with some banter but he always had to take it that step further

I never liked the way he would white ant everyone its all fun having a bit of fun with some banter but he always had to take it that step further

Making out you are somebody on the internet that you're not generally leads to trouble with the Australian Federal Police.
Like that 50 year old bloke who makes out he's a 16 year old guy to a 14 year old girl who's actually a 40 year old police officer...

A question for everyone. For those who use bars with grease able noses 1) what grease do you use in your grease gun and 2) does any one work on the theory of grease it once initially then let the bar and cutter lube do the job as not to push dirt into the hole when greasing or grease regularly and risk pushing dirt in

Cheers

the grease i put in the oil tank :laugh::laugh:

i don't bother and have never had one blow yet

Cheers

I use high temp bearing. Any brand seems to do the job. I grease mine regularly which seems to push grit out. You can feel the grit in the bearing before greasing and after greasing it smooths right out.

It's a funny topic though as I've seen, and no doubt yourself, where absolute knuckle draggers have never greased their bar noses and the sprocket teeth wear down well before the bearing packs it in.

Cheers

Good evening gentlemen,,,,
Bennn*e if I may give you a little advise from my time using roller nose bars, way back when I started cutting full time I greased the bar every tankful thinking that's what I should do as the new saw came with a grease gun. To cut this story short over the years I stopped greasing tips and they lasted exactly the same time as if greasing them. I used Oregon bars most of time and they oiled themselves perfectly without adding grease.
My guess is any reputable roller nose bar will be exactly the same and give good life service. The biggest reason for tip failure besides damage is using blunt chains and forcing them. grease in the tip regularly won't hurt it but.

Edit,,, for got to add, incorrect chain tensioning...

That's my small contribution to the question,,,,,,,,

woohoo i'm a absolute knuckle dragger

Hah hah. I knew once I wrote that you'd reply :)

Like Neil said I myself grease bar tips but I've seen some bars that have been so abused it should be illegal yet the bearings are still fine. Every other part of the bar is absolutely rooted.

I have siezed an Oregon Power Match Plus tip on a 42" bar due to a lack of oil (dealer set up my 3120 with the oiler wound right back). I didn't pick up on it until she started to lock up. A bit of grease in it and it would probably have gotten over the line. It can also help if you ever get your oil holes blocked which can happen.
Nose sprocket bearings are definitely tough though, that's for sure.

Cheers
If you grease it once initially you'll be creating a barrier preventing chain oil penetrating the sprocket bearing area.

I have not had any bearing issues since I got my ported 261, the immense torque just seems to spin the nose sprocket no matter what condition its in... I was cutting late one evening and I actually saw the tip of the bar glowing a dull red, similar to the brake discs on a F1 car. Amazing stuff really.

But on a serious note, the lack of grease doesn't seem to do much if any damage. The bar oil seems to make its way right in there where its needed.

If you grease it once initially you'll be creating a barrier preventing chain oil penetrating the sprocket bearing area.

Bar noses generally get pretty warm. It would take a pretty special grease to stay sticky at the temps I've seen bar noses get to. Once you've run a greased bar nose for a bit it spins that freely I doubt any grease is left in it. Dirt can get in so I'm pretty sure bar oil does too.

Back