the all aussie dribble thread!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I been fighting the bosses addiction to SWM's for a while trying to find others who would support or say this.
My last look found one for chainsaw operation 9 pages long text heavy :( fair dinks no one will read or recall its message http://cms.asplundh.com.au/wp-conte...swms-no-003-chainsaw-operation-attachment.pdf

Today i found

June 6, 2014
Safe Work Method Statements – their role, their use and their curse

“Industry stakeholders claim that the SWMS Process is no longer manageable and that this document process has failed the industry and has basically outlived its usefulness” and

Recent “criticism has centred on the fact that SWMSs, which were intended to be easy to use documents, have often become so large and complex that they are impractical to use”.

Even the simplest understanding of Herbert Simon’s Bounded Rationality (Gigerenzer) demonstrates that most of what is being pushed in SWMS us useless. Unless a SWMS is used as a thinking tool it is rubbish, SAI Global and all these people making money out of templates etc, should be prosecuted under anti-safety legislation. What these people don’t realise is the culture they are creating by maintaining this stupid regime of SWMS religion. This movement to SWMS addiction simply dumbs down the workforce and devalues thinking and consultation at work.

Even the most scant research in social psychology clearly demonstrates the toxicity of this trend to workplace culture. So, once the smoke and mirrors and SWMS magic has been done in the office, how are decisions really made on site? This is the real question that needs to be asked, and let me tell you, the average worker on site knows that SWMS are ******** and they make their decisions on heuristics, biases and implicit knowledge

http://safetyatworkblog.com/2014/06...tements-their-role-their-use-and-their-curse/

it nice to see more people are starting to come out to tell the Workcover emperor has no clothes and that the bull tish industry that hangs off his coat tails careless for safety only just $ money to be made from developing its bureaucracy

For instance, one template for operating a mobile photography booth is being sold for $A79.95. The site claims that the template “complies with current legislation in all States and Territories” but WHS/OHS legislation only requires SWMS for high risk work and operating a mobile photography booth is not listed in the Safe Work Australia categories of high risk work. How can the template “comply” when there is no legislative requirement for a SWMS for this task?

Grrr where the external quote button i had to use color for others comments

I been fighting the bosses addiction to SWM's for a while trying to find others who would support or say this.
My last look found one for chainsaw operation 9 pages long text heavy :( fair dinks no one will read or recall its message http://cms.asplundh.com.au/wp-conte...swms-no-003-chainsaw-operation-attachment.pdf

Today i found

June 6, 2014
Safe Work Method Statements – their role, their use and their curse

“Industry stakeholders claim that the SWMS Process is no longer manageable and that this document process has failed the industry and has basically outlived its usefulness” and

Recent “criticism has centred on the fact that SWMSs, which were intended to be easy to use documents, have often become so large and complex that they are impractical to use”.

Even the simplest understanding of Herbert Simon’s Bounded Rationality (Gigerenzer) demonstrates that most of what is being pushed in SWMS us useless. Unless a SWMS is used as a thinking tool it is rubbish, SAI Global and all these people making money out of templates etc, should be prosecuted under anti-safety legislation. What these people don’t realise is the culture they are creating by maintaining this stupid regime of SWMS religion. This movement to SWMS addiction simply dumbs down the workforce and devalues thinking and consultation at work.

Even the most scant research in social psychology clearly demonstrates the toxicity of this trend to workplace culture. So, once the smoke and mirrors and SWMS magic has been done in the office, how are decisions really made on site? This is the real question that needs to be asked, and let me tell you, the average worker on site knows that SWMS are ******** and they make their decisions on heuristics, biases and implicit knowledge

http://safetyatworkblog.com/2014/06...tements-their-role-their-use-and-their-curse/

it nice to see more people are starting to come out to tell the Workcover emperor has no clothes and that the bull tish industry that hangs off his coat tails careless for safety only just $ money to be made from developing its bureaucracy

For instance, one template for operating a mobile photography booth is being sold for $A79.95. The site claims that the template “complies with current legislation in all States and Territories” but WHS/OHS legislation only requires SWMS for high risk work and operating a mobile photography booth is not listed in the Safe Work Australia categories of high risk work. How can the template “comply” when there is no legislative requirement for a SWMS for this task?

Grrr where the external quote button i had to use color for others comments
The proliferation of the safety admin industry has reached critical mass. We won't be able to stop it. It's self-perpetuating now, having realised its goal of conditioning workers to become stupid or endorse stupidity. This race to the bottom of the think tank ensures critical thinkers are overpowered by non-thinking process followers and arse coverers. It endorses and conditions stupidity, and thus a dependence on rule and rule makers and enforcers only limited by their creativity in dreaming up more crap for the flock to blindly swallow and follow.

Never rely solely on a machine ,the human eye with manual measure will get it perfect ...use the wheel only to 'lightly' hone your edge , checking settings for each side as you go. depth gauges i do on a bench grinder lightly 'Bzzz 'Bzzz done - next depth gauge ,keep it cold and light handed
Thanks.
I'll trust a machine when it has earned that trust. Not before. But one of the points of these grinders is to reproduce consistent results. I will get some time today to take another look at it. Only had about an hr to set it up and do one chain to get my bearings and figure it out so will hopefully get it sorted later today. By the way, my quest for the CBN/ABN wheels was because the grinder will get used for some pretty heavy work - chewing through rocked chains, regrinding angles for ripping chains, and especially for 'rehabilitating' chains of others. All of that requires more than a light hone ;-) and beyond either regular wheels or my patience levels with said regular wheels.

The proliferation of the safety admin industry has reached critical mass. We won't be able to stop it. It's self-perpetuating now, having realised its goal of conditioning workers to become stupid or endorse stupidity. This race to the bottom of the think tank ensures critical thinkers are overpowered by non-thinking process followers and arse coverers. It endorses and conditions stupidity, and thus a dependence on rule and rule makers and enforcers only limited by their creativity in dreaming up more crap for the flock to blindly swallow and follow.

wot works best to keep you safer ,,,, 9 pages of http://cms.asplundh.com.au/wp-conte...swms-no-003-chainsaw-operation-attachment.pdf

or just one picture you sign each week that says "wear your chaps always or else"

100_0053.JPG

Hi all, got a few quick questions for the panel if I may please.
Finally got the chance to unbox a 511ax grinder that's been gathering dust on a shelf for ages.
Managed to try a chain on it before coming in for dinner, and can't say I'm impressed with a few things, especially how flakey the chains stop seems to be for an uncheap grinder, also, the hydraulic hose had to repositioned or it forces against the chain stop when doing the right cutters.

Anyhoo, ran out of time to have a good look why but the rakers aren't coming out even. Left rakers considerably shorter than right rakers.
Cutter lengths on left and right were out a little too, but 5/8th of bugger all to worry about unless it's related?

So, first question:
any ideas what I should look to adjust tomorrow or tonight after the rugby?
2nd:
How do I get my hands on two dinasaw abn wheels (for 3/8-.404 & .325-3/8LP) without selling myself on the streets to pay for them please? Cheaper by heaps alternative is CBN wheels from diamond wheel inc in USA ( http://www.diamondwheelinc.com/chain-saw-wheels.html ) unless you's fellas have any suggestions?

Cheers all.
I used an auo lock one at trade school and I could not get along with it. I can sharpen just as quick with a Stihl USG which is right handed also and an abn wheel. Ring dinasaw direct as Matt said, he's really good I get along with. I bought my first wheel from them as the supplier at the time was dearer and he wasn't impressed with there effort of selling his wheels. There supplier now is the same as them so I got my last 3 from them as I use them for my other ope parts. I use a 5mm on a USG at work for .404, 3/8 and new .325, 4mm for 1/2 worn .325 and new 3/8p ad 1/4 and 3mm for worn 3/8p

Excuse Me if I seem dumb your saying this cut to the mans leg was chainsaw , It just looks to clean I thought at first it was maybe from a large angle grinder or cutting wheele??

I can sharpen just as quick with a Stihl USG which is right handed also and an abn wheel

I bet you can't :D Once you learn how to run an auto lock grinder no manual grinder has a hope of keeping up unless you're not actually locking the chain. The USG's are a good grinder but really set up to sharpen all sorts of things, not just chainsaw chains. Pricey too.

Excuse Me if I seem dumb your saying this cut to the mans leg was chainsaw , It just looks to clean I thought at first it was maybe from a large angle grinder or cutting wheele??

Speaking from some experience a 9" grinder tends to sear and seal when it cuts you......Ah, the smell of your own flesh burning!:eek:

Speaking from some experience a 9" grinder tends to sear and seal when it cuts you......Ah, the smell of your own flesh burning!:eek:

Less bleeding too :) Problem with chainsaw cuts is they tend to tear out a lot of muscle etc too so hard to stitch up as well.

It taken from a blog about saw injury's, here the writer claims what you see is all dinkum and has a story to tell of how it occurred and why saw chaps would have prevented it

As i teach basic saw use I research the how and why of saw injury's,, its how I found AS some 6-7 years ago

http://chainsawinjury.blogspot.com.au/2012/12/the-story-of-chainsaw-injury.html

http://chainsawinjury.blogspot.com.au/2012/12/chainsaw-accident-injury-pictures.html

If you ever need to chase down where a web picture originated drag drop it into google images it will more often find the providence

identify-source-image-20130326-100358 (1).jpg

View attachment 357032 View attachment 357033
been using these two product for years,ive heard of wiping guns down with 25:1 mix ,the petrol evaps leaving the oil behind ,ill stick with ballistol and tetra thanks

yeah i think Inox is the same as the ballistol stuff...?

still finding a lot of recommendations of using ATF and 20w Motor oil , mixtures and so forth as a alternative to wasting money on small little bottles from a gun shop ,many thread discussions on the subject.

Best AR Lube Advice From The Experts - RifleShooter

Axe Bros. | Alternative Gun Cleaning Solvent and Oil

Only got a few minutes to look at it. Something's not right. Took the wheel out and still there's a slight anomaly/wandering/oscillation/surging. Can hear it in this video :

I can't feel any play in the motors shaft. But with the wheel in the wandering/oscillation/vibes is very noticeable. This was with a freshly dressed wheel:

Back