the all aussie dribble thread!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks like a Model 98 action. The shorter barrel makes a nice light mountain rifle. Probably in 30-06, a cartridge that can be tuned up or down for whatever you need.

From what I've seen, pricing on Stihl chain is out of control.... o_O
Oz dollar dropped against the usd and Swiss franc so double wamy. 699 when I started 8 year ago now 917 but it helps if you have a willing to help dealer too :) Carlton and Oregon have now gone up to. Not sure about GB. I took a punt and got a 25ft of GB evo2 which before you say that was a waste of money I have ran it on my 026 on a 20" powertech bar and its held up really well. Good stay sharp, go under cutter clearance so seems to clear well and very low stretch so far. I have ran some of the Evo2 .404 full and semi which looks like a Carlton style cutter and that's been alright too

Nope, look up a Zenoah 62cc saw on the 'net. There are heaps of copies of this Japanese design. Probably the same saw from the same manufacturer, but with different coloured plastic for each distributor.

A brilliant design - the Chinese can come close to a copy, but don't know crap about quality control. If you get one, you have to go back through it and clean it up. It would take me an evening to clean it up and then I would have a great saw - a top quality light weight bar would lighten it even more, but would cost as much as the freaking saw!

Yes the original design was sold as either Zenoah, Komatsu or Redmax. The 72cc you have been working on was originally a 62cc as mentioned. A very average saw IMO and has the balance of well a besser brick from memory. The mods you did probably helped a bit but out of the box there is not much to write home about. And from what I remember its a heavy saw for what it is and if you're talking power to weight ratio and what feels like 2hp that makes sense.

The 66cc saw you recommended is actually based on the smaller 50cc Redmax/Zenoah. I have run the 62cc version of that and it was kind of okay but I think 66cc would be pushing it for such a small crankcase. But then again a lot of grinding and some JB weld would probably get it running half decent.

Now regarding the home owner, these saws will cut down the small dead pear tree in the back yard but I would not rely on one to keep my family warm over winter. You need to be somewhat handy with small engines if you intend to keep it running for more than a year or two. But then again at $150 you could buy a new one every time the old one died or you could save up for a little while and buy and good brand which will last 15 years or more. I have owned and or worked on most of the chinese copies and I know what I would be buying.

I need to remember to post some thing each time I have caught up on my reading
rick goodto see you posting again
terry good to see you in the dribble thread
Neil you need to ignore wardy he is fos and his bait is kinda stale and on the nose all at the same time.

derick power lines have a automatic re-closers especially in rural areas
re-closers restore power three times before locking out
they do this because the assumption is it is a tree branch touching the line in a high wind
once a reloser locks out they are reset and closed by the control room unless tipple 0 or other emg service has notified them it it is a live line on the ground.
live line rescue is that we do not gone up the pole until the victim has been fried three times and the control room has confirmed the line has been locked out.
too many what if's to cover in a short rant. example the line you are working on is de energised and earthed but another line above you has fallen on to your line and is killing your team member that is up top
it takes time to get the other line turned off etc
average rescue is 15 minutes, best practice is 7 minutes and only ever achieved in training when everything is going perfect.

Hmm, it's definitely not a heavy saw. Heck, maybe this is the 50cc model bored out to 72cc. - There wasn't much space left in the bottom of the transfers to allow much flow, I had to get creative and rework the piston, jug and cases. I also had to deepen the transfers to get them to flow. If I had a 90 degree porting tool I would have widen the transfers a fair bit to get the time/area up for the displacement.

Also, the flow pattern on the piston was too far forward because of the small transfers. I would have loved to been able to shift the rear port back at least a couple of millimetres. The thing would have probably looked like a stack of washers by the time I got through with it.

It was definitely gutless when I got it, but I was bucking up some logs with it today and it wasn't embarrassing itself. It is built light, it had a 10mm wrist pin and the crank isn't that robust, so maybe it is a ticking bomb waiting to go off.

I'll see how long it takes for my buddy to grenade it. At this point, I'd like to get one and go whole hog on the mods.

EDIT: The rear transfers were pathetic. I drilled a 1 millimetre hole between each fin and took the insides down to where there was 1/2 millimetre of jug left, then patched the holes up. The clutch can't handle the torque and I thought about lapping the new shoes with some valve grinding paste to get some more grip, but my buddy will probably lap them in eventually.

Hmm, it's definitely not a heavy saw. Heck, maybe this is the 50cc model bored out to 72cc. - There wasn't much space left in the bottom of the transfers to allow much flow, I had to get creative and rework the piston, jug and cases. I also had to deepen the transfers to get them to flow. If I had a 90 degree porting tool I would have widen the transfers a fair bit to get the time/area up for the displacement.

Also, the flow pattern on the piston was too far forward because of the small transfers. I would have loved to been able to shift the rear port back at least a couple of millimetres. The thing would have probably looked like a stack of washers by the time I got through with it.

It was definitely gutless when I got it, but I was bucking up some logs with it today and it wasn't embarrassing itself. It is built light, it had a 10mm wrist pin and the crank isn't that robust, so maybe it is a ticking bomb waiting to go off.

I'll see how long it takes for my buddy to grenade it. At this point, I'd like to get one and go whole hog on the mods.

EDIT: The rear transfers were pathetic. I drilled a 1 millimetre hole between each fin and took the insides down to where there was 1/2 millimetre of jug left, then patched the holes up. The clutch can't handle the torque and I thought about lapping the new shoes with some valve grinding paste to get some more grip, but my buddy will probably lap them in eventually.

That I am sure can be done, time and knowing what needs to be done and how to do it makes a world of difference.
How long its holds together is another story but yes Terry reasonable gains can be achieved which you have done and proved.
I did simular to a Ozito top handle, I never bothered with it too much but I did get it breathing better and running ok for a 25cc powerhouse. If I wanted to and spent a weekend on the sh*t box I could make it go a lot better but why is my opinion, toys just need to run and get the job done, if its not up to the job, get a bigger saw.

My experience with Wayne's Chinees 070 satisfied my curiosity regarding copies, someone needed to play with one after our former resistant story teller crapped on about them for 2 years or so without any form of result at all.
I was able to prove it can run ok with a moded 090 top end but eventually it finished up with mostly genuine 090 parts and little Chinese bits left except for the crank case, fuel tank and top cover. It had issues regarding threading too, helecoils replaced Chinese threads

I was also lucky enough to test and play with another copy from Matt the original. That thing still competes in its class today, is still competitive in any company and most importantly still has development left in it.
If I had time and the desire I could improve it further, so far its taken what I have give it but of coarse its not cutting fire wood or anything like that.

Oil,,,,, well they run on super special oil mixed at a staggering ''-- to --'' poured in the dark into a darkened measure with chilled petrol to keep all its goodies in tack. There now you chaps know but don't tell any one or try this at home.

Good morning Men..... It's damn chilly on the tablelands this morning.
It was -3.5 deg when I left home @ 1am to go to work.
I'm now loading my 2nd load this morning @ inverell and @ 6am it is -2 still.
Oh the joys of working 4 a living....
On a better note, off to Boonah QLD tomorrow 4 another race meet

Good morning Men..... It's damn chilly on the tablelands this morning.
It was -3.5 deg when I left home @ 1am to go to work.
I'm now loading my 2nd load this morning @ inverell and @ 6am it is -2 still.
Oh the joys of working 4 a living....
On a better note, off to Boonah QLD tomorrow 4 another race meet

Good on a Jason, keeping the country moveing. Its windy here and now daylight, time to get some work done myself.
Put long pants on and jumper on yesterday, 1st time this year, cold southerly and today looks the same, rain is expected today also. Not near as cold as up your way but this is my 1st winter down here for a long time, no sleet and snow here on the coast.
Have a good day blokes.

Back