The best 70cc saws.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
70cc saws

I had a 7900 dolmar, gave it to my son, he needed a bigger saw and had no money. I miss that saw more than him, sometimes. Still have a 7300, and 6400. Big bore kit should be here soon,will see if it runs like the 7900 did.:rock:

I am not convinced that any saw in the 70cc class will out cut or out last a Dolmar 7900. I might be biased. :chainsaw:

Although I like the 7900, it should be considered an 80cc saw. Oh, and the part about outlasting the others....try that statement in 30 years...then we'll know if it's a well-built as the 038's that are still out there chugging along..

The 044 and 440 has my vote, because its not that big and not that small its the saw you sometimes forget, yet just keeps stepping up to the plate and performing time after time after time.

I also like the 372 ALOT but its just not quite the saw for me that the 044 has been (so I sold my 372xp about a year ago)

Last edited:
You know I never understood the cc thing either. It should be weight class... Should be best 14lb saw... Heck you have the 7900-6400 dolmars that weigh the same.. Or the 362xp-372xpw. 20% or so power diffs on basically the same saw. Also would be diff cc class even though they are the same case.

I am not convinced that any saw in the 70cc class will out cut or out last a Dolmar 7900. I might be biased. :chainsaw:

The others look better. I mean, what is with the 1960s hair dryer look of the 7900? Also there are no Dolmar dealers anywhere near here, so they may as well not exist for us in most of the PNW. Well, except renting smaller size teal Makita ones at Home Depot.

The 371xp that I ran a while back did not stack up to my 044. On paper at least, it seems that the 044 would have more power than the 372xp. Of course, there seems to be more than one 372xp. Husky multiple displacement disorder. :dizzy:

Also since I morphed back into being a tree butcher rather than part time logger, I use the smaller saws more. The 044 sits most of the time, while the 361s are out working.

Well I just posted in the 60cc saw thread lol! I have only owned two true 70cc saw's one a 041 super I regret selling that one and a 044. I think the 044 get's trumped up here by the Stihl heads:laugh: I really did not think it was any better than the 041 super:popcorn:paper numbers do not give the 041super justice sure it is heavier but it looks better. I have a 7900 and love the thing but it is almost 80cc but light enough to cut with for a few hours but if 70cc means 70 to 79cc class then the 7900 would be king! I run mine with a 20''bar and 8 pin cutting soft wood most of the time and have a 28'' running square for the odd and very seldom 24''+ tree. My modded 2159 is just as fast or faster in smaller wood.

Can I ask a question here?

What makes a saw, in any of these cc classes, "best"?

Power?
acceleration?
weight?
feel and balance?
reliability?
anti-vibe?
good local dealer?
sounds good?
handle angle?
inboard/outboard clutch?
or...............
does it just have to be your favorite brand? :laugh:

Answer: YES!

Can I ask a question here?

What makes a saw, in any of these cc classes, "best"?

Power?
acceleration?
weight?
feel and balance?
reliability?
anti-vibe?
good local dealer?
sounds good?
handle angle?
inboard/outboard clutch?
or...............
does it just have to be your favorite brand? :laugh:

The 044 is by far the best handling in my hands compared to the Dolmar-Makita's and 372. Mine is an excellant starter hot or cold and it doesn't rip the starter handle out of my hand when it doesn't start. If the other saws have a better power to weight ratio it doesn't transalate to better handling for me. I run some 372's and a Makita a fair lick often. The 044 handles like a smaller saw with its better handle position and balance in my hands. Easiar reaching farther out or up to limb etc.. For just walking the ground bucking with little limbing the others feel good with a 24" bar. The 372 feels a little stronger and more balanced with the 24" but I don't like how it feels using it with a 20". To much bending for me. I've been running a 20" on the 044 and find it very comfy. I am looking to modify a 22" bar to my o44 being I haven't found 1 made to fit it. I usually run 24or25" bars on my 660 so I don't care to run the same on the 044.

A saw for the ages.....

attachment.php

Complete with a nicely repaired rear handle. This is the best saw out there, IMO.

Latest posts

Back