The BEST chainsaw helmet is???????

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
attachment.php

Good stickers. Best hat.

I have 4 helmets. One VERY old Mac-T, with the 6-point suspension, one "modern" Mac-T, one Skull Bucket, and one Bullard. The last is for fire. The first won't fit on my big ol' noggin. The other two do all the work. I wear the Skull Bucket on the job to avoid the OSHA drones. The good ol' Mac-T is for everything else.

Last edited:
European Helmets

Hi,

I sort of like the European "starwars" X-wing fighter look. Pfanner, a German company came up with this. Note the ear muffs when not needed tuck nicely into the rear of the helmet. The colors are also just awesome, there are orange and blue selections too :msp_smile:

Best, Mike.

I have been using a Husqvarna helmet for 2 years, it is nice to use in the woods or in blow down removals.

It keeps the branches out of your face and protects your bean also.

Mine is ready to be replaced, lots of wear and tear.

At the end of the day, $50 well spent.

I've got a Husky helmet/face shield muff combo. At first I didn't care for it. But since I deal in so much brush, not getting poked in the face makes it worth while. BTW, it is suprsingly warm in the winter I never get cold irregardless of the temp.

I use husky combo helmet because it was the best price/performance i could get.

Would love to have the protos integral from Pfanner tho, but cant justify the price. They have some nice cut-proof pants too, but again $300 for a pair of pants is a bit much.

I have the Husky combo unit and liked it at first. I like it even more when i hear a "thWAAAAP!!!!" and a resulting branch or chip gets flung off the screen instead of my beak. Bucking, felling, trimming...I always wear it.

I throw on my Stihl combo with face screen removed when I'm dropping trees. I usually only use one ear muff so I can hear whats going on with the tree. I wear my oakley ballistic glasses all the time, helmet or not. Once I'm done with the felling(falling?) I put my ball cap on and peltor ear muffs along with said eye pro.

016_zpsca17ad7c.jpg

As a "wildland hazard tree faller" and due to my background in fire fighting I stick with a Bullard helmet. I do also own and use a Stihl helmet system for firewood and at other times. It is fragile compared to a bare helmet or hardhat. Mac-Ts have the best cool factor.

I also like these mesh glasses from Bailey's with Croakies.

Last edited:
I've had and currently have a Peltor and haven't been overly impressed.My favourite was an Elvex-after PB reminded me what it was :laugh:-so I'll hunt one down for my next one.
I always wear one-mainly for the face shield.I wear glasses and without a shield,chain oil eventually gets all over them making it hard to see-and a smearing mess to clean off.

I use the full brim hard hat with a terrycloth sweatband. I prefer the soft earplugs too. For those ear freezing days a quilted nylon shell liner with velcro straps, plus a chin strap, connects to the head liner. Haven't found a better helmet setup yet.
attachment.php

with liner and sweatband
attachment.php

Last edited:
Man this makes me remember my dad's old steel hardhat, and the POS that decided they "needed" it more than he did...:angry:
(stole it out of His Garage along with some tools)

Man I hate Thieves!:angry:

all the same, How do the New Skullbucket hats rate compared to the old Mac's?
(considering buying one)

Yup, really like the Husqy combo. Much prefer the plastic muff linkage to the wire type. I can break the wire ones in minutes, unintentionally of course.

I find that even in winter, I have to wear a bandana under the helmet's band, to deal with sweat. That gets chilly real quick when you take off the helmet in winter; so does the helmet- real wake-up when you put it back on. :msp_smile:

At work they gave us these liners for our hard hats, they're pretty common, do yourself some research find where you can get them and give em a try.

Man this makes me remember my dad's old steel hardhat, and the POS that decided they "needed" it more than he did...:angry:
(stole it out of His Garage along with some tools)

Man I hate Thieves!:angry:

all the same, How do the New Skullbucket hats rate compared to the old Mac's?
(considering buying one)

Not sure any new Skull Buckets are being made these days, and what hasn't been sold is probably expensive. Never compared the two helmets.

Latest posts

Back