The Best Grass on AS

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You're not here to be combative but my post is "hastily conceived and partially false?" :laugh: That's almost good enough to quote all of it!

I'm not here to stop any industry. Everyone has a right to participate in asinine and mundane concepts such as obsessive lawn maintenance. It's a lot easier to work with Nature than against.

But whatever, basic ecology is too much for some to handle.

I wouldn't bother obsessing over something as easy as having a lawn that is clean. I sharpen tools anyhow regularly. And if you wasn't angry and militant, you'd find that IPM and pathogen resistant cultivars/dwarf plants is the name of the game in turfgrass. If you will have an open mind, I will. We can be friends.

I wouldn't bother obsessing over something as easy as having a lawn that is clean. I sharpen tools anyhow regularly. And if you wasn't angry and militant, you'd find that IPM and pathogen resistant cultivars/dwarf plants is the name of the game in turfgrass. If you will have an open mind, I will. We can be friends.

But you are obsessing over your lawn. Keeping it green and healthy with all those inputs is an obsession. And all those inputs don't produce shade, food, or clean water. And you throw in your GMOs and cute little cultivars which do not even remotely resemble local ecotypes. Yep, you definitely have an obsession.
I'm not militant or angry, I couldn't be bothered to get mad at such silly wastefulness. But thanks for all the laughs!

And if you had native plants, you wouldn't need IPM and fancy cultivars and GMOs.

But I give up. I've got more Kentucky Bluegrass to burn and kill today before we replant with 185 native plant species per acre. Can a lawn produce such biodiversity? Never ever.

But you are obsessing over your lawn. Keeping it green and healthy with all those inputs is an obsession. And all those inputs don't produce shade, food, or clean water. And you throw in your GMOs and cute little cultivars which do not even remotely resemble local ecotypes. Yep, you definitely have an obsession.
I'm not militant or angry, I couldn't be bothered to get mad at such silly wastefulness. But thanks for all the laughs!

And if you had native plants, you wouldn't need IPM and fancy cultivars and GMOs.

But I give up. I've got more Kentucky Bluegrass to burn and kill today before we replant with 185 native plant species per acre. Can a lawn produce such biodiversity? Never ever.

OK goodbye.

You are right. What Forestry Works stated was well said. It was also hastily concieved, and partially false. I can attack it point by point, Bob. I think you know that. Yun's can go "hold a candle in catching stormwater runoff". It would go out. I'm not here to be combative. And it wouldn't be appropriate for an innocuous thread promoting green lawns to end up in the political forum, would it? If you want to stop an even larger industry, attack cosmetics.

I think I'd be careful about attacking Forestryworks' views on lawns and their uselessness. He spent a lot of time in school studying such things and he has an open mind about opposing views. If your ideas had merit I'm sure he'd be the first to admit it. He's presented just one of many studies showing that lawns are wasteful and don't really do the environment any great amount of good. He knows about this stuff and makes his living with his knowledge. What do you know, other than the information you've gathered from questionable sources that validates your choices?

Instead of using that ground to grow something that's merely eye candy and a booster for your ego why not plant it to veggies and give the veggies away to people who can use them? Do something useful in other words.

Mowing is a destructive practice. Keep the blade extremely sharp and balanced for a clean cut. Minimize the wound.

In high traffic areas like this, change up the mowing direction often. It is a good rule of thumb overall. And avoid sharp turns. Zero Turn is the worst thing on turf besides a dull blade.

If you use some chemical broadleaf control, don't forget it will damage/kill shrubs. I prefer mechanical control of weeds and pests. Dang, more input?

Hahahaha. Good times. Don't take life too seriously. And don't be a environmental whacko. Keep your place like a park and make the little lady happy. She will love you long time.

I think I'd be careful about attacking Forestryworks' views on lawns and their uselessness. He spent a lot of time in school studying such things and he has an open mind about opposing views. If your ideas had merit I'm sure he'd be the first to admit it. He's presented just one of many studies showing that lawns are wasteful and don't really do the environment any great amount of good. He knows about this stuff and makes his living with his knowledge. What do you know, other than the information you've gathered from questionable sources that validates your choices?

Instead of using that ground to grow something that's merely eye candy and a booster for your ego why not plant it to veggies and give the veggies away to people who can use them? Do something useful in other words.

I grow a two acre garden, Bob. Tomatoes are exotic from the Andes mountains. It don't stop us though. I appreciate FW's contribution and education. I'd like to know what he is burning off the Kentucky Bluegrass with, but he left.

Perennial Ryegrass is a species you may not have thought was used in turfgrass applications. But that's just what it is. Don't confuse with Annual Ryegrass which will get you out of a pinch, but isn't a desireable or hardy turf type. Perennial RG is actually one of the finer types if you want a manicured or "estate" lawn. I get one from a seed supplier in Iowa called, "Pleasure Supreme," from Ampac Seed. The stuff is good. Here is some characteristic as noted in trials:

1. Excellent Overall Turf Quality *****

2. Dark Green Genetic Color ***** (Want to get a desirable color and fertilize less? *DING* here it is.)

3. Slower Growing ***** Mow it less often? Aha. Use your head.

4. Superior Spring Greenup **** Not five star, but that's why we avoid monoculture. (More Later on genetic diversification.)

5. Dense, upright growth *****

6. Overall Disease Resistance *****

7. Excellent Traffic Tolerance ***** Can be hard to find in a PRG but this stuff is wirey.

"PLEASURE SUPREME loves the traffic and its top rating in the latest NTEP
makes it an excellent choice for all turf uses. Take PLEASURE SUPREME
“where the action is”. PLEASURE SUPREME ranked #1 in the Traffic Stress
trials at Mead, NE (Wow, good in Nebraska? Hahaha. Didn't know they had sod or traffic there.) ...and demonstrates superb density in all seasons and in all
climate zones. PLEASURE SUPREME is an upright, vigorous, slower growing perennial ryegrass, with excellent overall disease resistance."

Let Arbonaut be your Guinea Pig. We won't lead you astray. lol

I make my own mix with another type of KBG than the one previously mentioned. The result is like porch carpet, if I was cruel enough to mow it that low. More later.

Tune in and subscribe to this post. We are just gettin' warmed up.

OK, one more for the road. Let's get into the other Kentucky Bluegrass that I use. When you see, "KBG'" that's what we mean. Not, "KGB," which would mean the Russian secret service would be paying you a visit. Not the case, it's only your lawn.

"Wild Horse," is the other cultivar. I get it also from Iowa. I discovered this stuff in a three way Fescue blend from Earth Carpet called, "Tuff Stuff." It was in there as a 10% part of the blend. The greatest thing about Wild Horse is it is the fastest germinating stuff you will find when the nights are getting down to 55 Degrees F. It will germinate 90% in ten days. Waiting for grass seed to sprout is like waiting for old people to chew carrots. So that's a plus. Bluegrass seed is very small. That gives it an advantage where it is hard to get soil contact.

Here is some Wild Horse characteristic. I use him in a 1:1 mix with Pleasure Supreme Ryegrass.

Rapid germination

Medium leaf texture

Excellent disease resistance

Aggressive and vigorous

Rich color with low cuts

High tiller density

By the way, in an earlier post in this thread, I quoted Dr. James B. Beard's work defining some of the limitless positive attributes of turfgrass. A couple readers here responded that my sources were not credible, or that they were, "questionable," at best. Dr. Beard is the forefather of modern American turf and especially Athletic and Golf turf which surpasses the standard requirements for most the best home lawns. If my need to validate my own use for turfgrass went beyond me and my kids playing catch and my girls practicing for cheerleading and sports, I would quote Dr. Beard without hesitation. You may stake the validity of claims that turfgrass is beneficial on that cushy feeling it gives the soles of bare feet.

Here is but a brief recap of some of Dr. Beard's major work

Beard’s classic Turfgrass: Science and Culture, published in 1973 and still in print, continues as the only true treatise ever written regarding turfgrass science. Much of the book was written within the walls of the MSU (Michigan State) Main Library. His Turf Management for Golf Courses, first released in 1982 and revised in 2002, remains the best-selling reference work in the field. Beard also recently published Beard’s Turfgrass Encyclopedia for Golf Courses – Grounds – Lawns – Sports Fields with the Michigan State University Press.

Dr. Beard served at Michigan State University from 1961–1975, and at Texas A&M University from 1975–1992. After his retirement from Texas A&M, he became President and Chief Scientist of the International Sports Turf Institute.

(If ya wanna try to get a rise out of me, call me a counterfeit.)

Personally I could care less about my yard. When I mow, I mow weeds. I really aught to consider goats.....

On another note, there is something that is kinda neat about that perfectly manicured yard. It does take talent. My Father in law is one of those who spends hours each week watching over his yard.
I know when I go to the inlaws house, it feels cooler on those hot summer days when you are outside on the green grass vs my house where everything is brown.

Cudos to you though Arbonaut for still having a garden.
I see all these citiots spending all their energy tending to their yard, if only they would take a part of their yard and make a garden out of it....

a3ybebyq.jpg

abubaqy4.jpg

u2ehaqe3.jpg

Look at that sexy yard :D :D

Latest posts

Back