The Best Grass on AS

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's a great looking soldier's field Arbonaut!

I've been working on creating a landscaped "oasis" in my back yard, the centerpiece of which is the lawn. I've found that it draws me outdoors and I have enjoyed spending much more time tending to the vegetables.

I'll try to get some photos up soon.

Roland

Personally I could care less about my yard. When I mow, I mow weeds. I really aught to consider goats.....

On another note, there is something that is kinda neat about that perfectly manicured yard. It does take talent. My Father in law is one of those who spends hours each week watching over his yard.
I know when I go to the inlaws house, it feels cooler on those hot summer days when you are outside on the green grass vs my house where everything is brown.

Cudos to you though Arbonaut for still having a garden.
I see all these citiots spending all their energy tending to their yard, if only they would take a part of their yard and make a garden out of it....

Thanks, Ross. I was just goofin' around when I made the title for this thread. My yard is a long way from manicured. There is guys who manage turf far better than me. I have to admit some times I just like to terrorize Bob. Man genius, I'd trade you every cubic inch of sod down here to get to live on a farm as good as yours for one summer. When we traded back, though in the fall, she'd be green. BTW, I was thinking about you when I was walking my dog this morning. I might go revive the Marathon Thread to keep you honest.

That's a great looking soldier's field Arbonaut!

I've been working on creating a landscaped "oasis" in my back yard, the centerpiece of which is the lawn. I've found that it draws me outdoors and I have enjoyed spending much more time tending to the vegetables.

I'll try to get some photos up soon.

Roland

Thanks Roland. I call it Soldier Field to terrorize my cousin. He's a Viking fan. Didn't they go to Astroturf? Alot of the whacko's out left are putting it in their yards. It is considered environmentally friendly to them, cause you can hire illegals to put it in, don't have to mow or water it and you can recycle the stuff and get new synthetic turf! Hahaha. Let's see some pic of that oasis, Man. Hey better yet, make a vid with some Classic Celtic Music in it. In the second vid, the music is, an adaptation of "Greensleeves," from Richard Jones circa 1580. Good one, huh?

Personally I could care less about my yard. When I mow, I mow weeds. I really aught to consider goats.....

On another note, there is something that is kinda neat about that perfectly manicured yard. It does take talent. My Father in law is one of those who spends hours each week watching over his yard.
I know when I go to the inlaws house, it feels cooler on those hot summer days when you are outside on the green grass vs my house where everything is brown.

Cudos to you though Arbonaut for still having a garden.
I see all these citiots spending all their energy tending to their yard, if only they would take a part of their yard and make a garden out of it....

Goats are for brush. Sheep are a waste of time, but one horse, and you won't have any grass at all.

Speaking of biodiversity, here is another European transplant. She loves the grass. After dark we can fertilize your yard.

Now you're talkin'. I like those big guard dogs.
meandmygps1.jpg

I like a nice yard,,,

I've been combating weeds in my yard and trying to establish a nice lawn full of bluegrass and rye. I've torn sidewalks out and put 96 foot of foundation under the house over the past several years which has been hard on my lawn. I hauled 50 some odd tons of topsoil in a few years ago to compensate for the sinking septic field and to replace the sidewalks, grass is much more better than sidewalks.

With my old house being something of a "dump" in appearance from the outside, I figure a nice lawn is something to strive for. I love mowing grass, I find it relaxing. The two Norwegian Spruce I planted have grown full and tall in just a couple years and my Hostas plants provide a nice thick border in several places around here. I miss the big ancient hard maple trees I had removed. The trees had become a hazard. Can't decide what trees to plant,,thinking about some fruit producing trees. The wife cans apples and pears every fall.

We have a nice garden every year which my wife puts up/cans and we share quite a bit of it with friends and neighbors..

The music in your videos was very fitting, "ArborNUT",,almost put me to bed!! LOL.

Now you're talkin'. I like those big guard dogs.
meandmygps1.jpg

Right on, Sagetown. Hahaha. Heh, for the record, one of the best Tall Fescue types for a lawn blend is, "Tulsa Time," how about that? You hit it on the head about them dog. I like the working appearance. My girl's bloodline could make show quality, but she got too many busted teeth, a purple tongue and sniffs the other dog's butts. (Just like Dad.)

I've been combating weeds in my yard and trying to establish a nice lawn full of bluegrass and rye. I've torn sidewalks out and put 96 foot of foundation under the house over the past several years which has been hard on my lawn. I hauled 50 some odd tons of topsoil in a few years ago to compensate for the sinking septic field and to replace the sidewalks, grass is much more better than sidewalks.

With my old house being something of a "dump" in appearance from the outside, I figure a nice lawn is something to strive for. I love mowing grass, I find it relaxing. The two Norwegian Spruce I planted have grown full and tall in just a couple years and my Hostas plants provide a nice thick border in several places around here. I miss the big ancient hard maple trees I had removed. The trees had become a hazard. Can't decide what trees to plant,,thinking about some fruit producing trees. The wife cans apples and pears every fall.

We have a nice garden every year which my wife puts up/cans and we share quite a bit of it with friends and neighbors..

The music in your videos was very fitting, "ArborNUT",,almost put me to bed!! LOL.

Hey, Greendohn, you are coming at it from the same angle as the Arbonut. That's just how it starts. I got a background in concrete, though. I put in all my sidewalks. The topsoil for my lawn project came from digging out many cubic yards from under the house doing foundation work. Did you know you can put seven bricks in a bucket? LOL Come over and bring beer. I'm past due to go live in my shop for a few months.

I used to raise them for work. These lil eight week old guys were born in the sheep stalls, and the old gent here couldn't make up his mind, after pulling them from the litter, and his wife wouldn't let him take both. :)
attachment.php

I better stay here and raise a tall frostie to yee in salute, Arbornut, Illynoise wouldn't like what I pack in my pocket,LOL.
The 75 yards or so of sidewalk I removed in one stretch belonged to to the town!! It bordered the street, I've also removed a smaller section on the other side belonging to the community,,and a couple random sidewalks around the house as well as a 12'x28' stone patio. The "towns" sidewalks were a patchwork of busted concrete which were proving to be hard on my lil' Toro mower and harbored nothing but weeds. My response was priceless when one of the towns board members ask me what I was doing,," Home improvement and preventive maintenance on my mower"
She replied "It's town property", Me,"For 10 years or more I've paid property taxes and totaled 2 mowers on this broken sidewalk,,I'm saving ya' money on the demo work when you finally spend my tax dollars fixing your sidewalks!" They pretty much leave alone around here. Just picked up 6 pounds of bluegrass seed yesterday, I'm gonna need it after spraying the whole yard with 24d last Monday!!

Great Lawn

Arbonaut

That is one heck of a nice lawn:rock::rock:. Looks like you have put a lot of work into it and it shows, good job.

Here is my back yard. 75% weeds and 25% grass.

lawn.jpg

It isn't much but is looking better than it has in 10 years. I don't fertilize or anything. Never have to water. This year I actually tilled up some places and reseeded it.

Used to be a bunch of dirt spaces from baseball practice with the son. A few burms from the motorcycle and a big jump.

I used to HATE mowing the lawn. I would complain every time I had to UNTIL, I had to watch my wife mow and weedeat all summer long because I broke my ankle and had 2 plates and 13 screws put in it. Now It might not be my most favorite thing to do but I enjoy the ability to do so and love to be outside.

Arbonaut

That is one heck of a nice lawn:rock::rock:. Looks like you have put a lot of work into it and it shows, good job.

lawn.jpg

It isn't much but is looking better than it has in 10 years. I don't fertilize or anything. Never have to water. This year I actually tilled up some places and reseeded it.

Used to be a bunch of dirt spaces from baseball practice with the son. A few burms from the motorcycle and a big jump.

I used to HATE mowing the lawn. I would complain every time I had to UNTIL, I had to watch my wife mow and weedeat all summer long because I broke my ankle and had 2 plates and 13 screws put in it. Now It might not be my most favorite thing to do but I enjoy the ability to do so and love to be outside.

looks like a fairway at the hillbilly golfcourse:msp_biggrin: actually looks a lot like mine.

I wonder if'n I need an outhouse in my garden,,T-bow,,yers looks pretty good sittin' back there! :rock:

My son hits the golf balls and I try and shoot um with the shotgun!!!!

I still have to finish the door for the garden outhouse. Don't want all of my crap to get wet!!!:laugh::laugh:

Arbonaut

lawn.jpg

What???

A nice long secluded line like that and no huge pile of dirt or burm at the end for a shooting range?

Duhhhhhh

What???

A nice long secluded line like that and no huge pile of dirt or burm at the end for a shooting range?

Genius, look hard at the pic. In front of the toyota way back on the property you can see a black blob. That is my burn pile. I keep half rounds of sweetgum out there and shoot into it often.

Back