The best sharpening

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Your best sharpening?

• Chain grinder

Votes: 40 28.2%
  • Bar mounted

Votes: 20 14.1%
  • Chain Gauge

Votes: 13 9.2%
  • Free-hand

Votes: 69 48.6%

• Total voters
Saw File container

Good job treeclimber165
Are you going to Patent it and sell it on eBay?

Originally posted by treeclimber165
Finally got my latest pics on my 'puter. Here is a pic of my file storage. Cheap, clean, effective, easy to keep on the truck, and you can use the tube to set under your bar when filing on the ground to keep the chain out of the dirt. Less than $1.

I like that, why I never think of such great inventions as that I dont know. I'll take 10 of them file storing devices. they'll work well in my .50 cal ammo can I use for saw tools. nice to see PVC pipe isnt just for terrrorists anymore hehehe. no offense to any terrorists that might be listening.

The method I prefer for sharpening a chain is strictly with the chain grinder, I wear out too many files and cant keep a chain sharp with one so I prefer a grinder.

sigh

when i grind(start a new face) i rest my file in the notch and give her a good thrust to get the set fot the sharpening, sharpen as normal.
the sthil chains help with the top and side
i use a bastard to trim it flush before i start dishing out the straps
then switch to a smaller file to cut the edge
dosent cut too fast, but i sharpen less
quite reliable if deep in brush like me

could someone explain stumpers sharping technique a little better?
i file at the 10 degree angle upwards at the handle and then i go 90 degrees from the bar and file the side plate? wont it make the side plate flat if you go 90 degrees?

you don't want to touch the side plate when you clean out the gullets. you could and I do go with the same angle that you sharpen the tooth with to clean out the gullets and slowly progress to 90 degrees when you get up to the raker.

hope that helps.

Buck

Revolution, You dispense with the 10 degree down angle and file the sideplate with the file "flat"-90 degrees to the flat sides of the bar.... and not really 90 degrees to the direction of chain travel but much closer to that than the 30 -35 degree angle that you use on the top plate. While your cleaning the gullet you aren't touching the working corner.

sharpening

a couple of points from wradman
when i am about to file i get my chain warm in a cut, i stop the chain in the middle of the cut ,prefferably dry wood, this gets the oil off the chain and my files last at least 2 times longer. I don't drag my file on the way back ,and i also file with the whole file because at the store they made me pay for the entire file not 1/2 of it. When i am straight hand falling in whitewood,spruce,pine,balsam i file with about 35deg. ,if i'm in fir ,hemlock i will sometimes drop my angle down to around 25deg . Depending on how dull the chain is i file my first few strokes down to keep my hook then my last stroke or 2 gently up and back to keep a nice straight edge on the tooth. it takes alot of practice to keep the teeth the same size but just keep checking and trying. When i am straight bucking or in lots of dirty wood keep your angle down and lots of hook in your tooth and your edge will hold longer. The sharper the angle the faster it cuts but it will dull quicker. Hook is good but to much will cause the chain to want to lift out of the bar and will make it more dangerous for kickbacks.I also file the rakers with a slight angle to for smoother cutting. hopefully this will help someone or really mess you up lol. If your have any direct questions you can try me at [email protected]

file pics

can't remember who wanted some pictures on chain filing ask me again and i will try to send them , i'll try to attatch them here but usually i screw that part up, this is a chain i filed for bucking ,for falling you could have the rakers a little higher and possibly a little less hook.

Sharpen by hand

I use a grinder when we're really bizz. But when I have the time I always hand sharpen cuts much faster and keeps an edge longer. Been past on from my Dad and I'll pass it to my kids.

wradman, a couple tips. I see by your photo exif infor that your HP has no manual focus. But it does have macro mode, and will focus down to 10 cm. Zoom all the way in, and push the shutter halfway down so the camera sets exposure and focus. Hold steady, then take the pic. Also, you could try the flash, which should increase the aperture which will give you more depth of field. Also experiment with a higher ISO setting which, while adding noise, will increase the depth of field as the camera should choose a higher aperture setting. Too bad your camera has no manual modes.

REV. You are eithr rocking the file motion or the file is being held at a tilt other than the same angle as the top plate.

Back