The Cheap Mac Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris-PA

Where the Wild Things Are
Reaction score
I'm enjoying collecting and using saws that everyone else hates, which usually means plastic Poulans. However, I have recently discovered plastic Macs, and it would seem that if it's possible then these are even more despised that the Poulans. I think that's because at least some of the Poulan guys like the Poulans, but even Mac guys hate the plastic Macs! Seems the little Macs get blamed for sinking the company, although I think they're more of a symptom than a cause.

Anyway, I got to looking at the Mac 3200 series a while ago, and kind of liked how they were designed. Eventually I picked up a 2012s, which is the same 32cc saw with the Silver Eagle labelling and colors. While everything you see and touch may be plastic, there is a horizontal cylinder and the bar studs are mounted right to the bottom end casting of the engine, so the basic structure of it is very much like other Macs. Then there are two plastic housings that cover everything and form the rear handle. Unlike the old top handle Mac 110 style saws, the carb is on the top under it's own cover so it's not that bad to work on. Replacing the fuel line still requires removing one side of the housing, but again it's not bad. Overall though it's a pretty simple little saw.

I posted previously that it was a buzzy saw without A/V (larger versions were available with A/V), But I've gotten used to that with better gloves and taking brakes. I also noticed it didn't like to rev too much, and the difference between it and my 142 is very clear in that area. And it was easy to bog even with a 12" bar. But it is very light so I used it quite a lot trimming up small branches and brush.

But I still wanted to see what I could do to improve it. I had done a real quick muffler mod before I even started it the first time, but I thought I should look at it again. I decided that one of the internal baffles should be opened up further, and took pictures this time. Here's how it ended up:
attachment.php

First baffle - this is the one I felt was still restrictive, so I combined the center holes into an oval:
attachment.php

Screen removed and two large holes added:
attachment.php

Inlet:
attachment.php

Port:
attachment.php

I runs much better now. I don't have a tach but I think it revs a bit better, but it definitely does not bog as easily. Friday I ran it in oak and ash logs that were 11" to beyond the 12" bar tip and it cut fairly impressively for a 32cc saw. The chain is sharp but it's still Oregon 91VX with the full shark fin bumpers. I'm leaving that on for now because I think it actually works better in the small branches where I find the little stuff sometimes just bounces off the non-safety chain. I'm pretty pleased with it now.

Anyone else willing to admit they have plastic Mac and use it?

The second saw I overhauled (the first was a little red Homie) was a 2014 from a good friend. I learned about pump side and metering side of carbs..................................:bang:

They will start first or second pull if you use the purge bulb and are quick on the choke.

Open up the muffler exit to a rectangular slot helps a bunch. Extra 3/8 holes in the baffel is a given.

I used my 3518? Just once then was able to sell it after a big storm. The guy that bought it was impressed with th power?!?!

I have a few more accumulating in the shop but have no plans or interest in them other than possibly loaners...

I have too many others that are so much more fun to run.

Mark

Ooh, a masochist's thread. Count me in! (I think the Stihl 019 should be an honorary Minimac)

Al.

I used my 3518? Just once then was able to sell it after a big storm. The guy that bought it was impressed with th power?!?!

I have a few more accumulating in the shop but have no plans or interest in them other than possibly loaners...

I have too many others that are so much more fun to run.

Mark

They are great garage sale fodder. List 'em in Friday and Saturday paper and the men show up in addition to the women.

I had a Mac 3200 given to me packed with mud dobber nests.. Dis assembled the whole thing to clean it and the rings were in good shape... While it was apart we decided to hog out the open transfers and weld a pop up on the piston to give it a little more compression... I now call it the killer bee, and it still hangs in the saw tree... Vibrates like hell, but limbs like a killer...
Good throttle response and out cuts 42cc poulans... Also pretty handy for carving...
Go figure...
:msp_confused:

I had never looked into the Mac 5500 type before and was surprised to find they made those up to 55cc. I guess they didn't have multiple brands to differentiate by size. But those were vertical cylinder with bar studs in the plastic housing and I don't find them at all as interesting. Looking at the IPL it would seem they were paying a lot of attention to the Poulans - it's a pretty derivative design.

I had a Mac 3200 given to me packed with mud dobber nests.. Dis assembled the whole thing to clean it and the rings were in good shape... While it was apart we decided to hog out the open transfers and weld a pop up on the piston to give it a little more compression... I now call it the killer bee, and it still hangs in the saw tree... Vibrates like hell, but limbs like a killer...
Good throttle response and out cuts 42cc poulans... Also pretty handy for carving...
Go figure...
:msp_confused:
Mine's buzzy enough as it is! The intake port is kinda strange the way it's rotated up to the top. I wonder if that's restrictive?

Mine's buzzy enough as it is! The intake port is kinda strange the way it's rotated up to the top. I wonder if that's restrictive?

The intake ain't bad... I put a carb from a little larger saw on it... It really is a lively little 32cc saw... Just makes your knuckles tingle a bit...:msp_sneaky:

I have used those little saws a lot. Not bad little runners and cheap. Have fun with them.

Last edited:
do they raise the blood pressure like a mini-mac?
I never had the ...good fortune to work on a Mini-Mac, but looking at the IPL I'd have to think a big part of the problem is having the carb on the side under the housing/cover. The basic construction of the 3200 isn't all that different, but the carb is up where you can get at it.

I never had the ...good fortune to work on a Mini-Mac, but looking at the IPL I'd have to think a big part of the problem is having the carb on the side under the housing/cover. The basic construction of the 3200 isn't all that different, but the carb is up where you can get at it.
the mini mac will test your reasons for living for sure but after my first experience with one i found a way around the plug in gas tank deal can take one apart and put it back together alseep now fun little saws and they have big balls

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

Old thread revival! These saws are not bad to work on, and I got much further into it when I converted it to A/V: http://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/mcculloch-se2012s-mac3200-a-v-conversion.277788/

They are very nice little saws and mine get s lot of use now. With a little more intake duration, a bigger carb and a muffler mod it is no slouch. It's not a revver but it pulls well. My only concern is that I have no supply of the A/V springs, but I can always make something.

Back