The Dead of Night, Old Growth spiders in my brain.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, HR aka Humboldt Red is my brother, his form of insanity is different from mine. The film is in the hands of the original photographer, an attempt to restore it and put on DVD. Craig thinks he may be able to lift stills, if nothing else.

A bit from the Bro.

Bro and I used to snag-hunt,
just to drop them.
I about got squished
we found a big Tanbark,
it was hollow enough to stand in.
all we had was a small 302 Echoe(best saw they ever made)
Decided to under-cut the solid side,
even had to climb inside to
get at what was going to be big
trouble,I had cut suckers as big as trees
left them looking like pungi stakes
with the under-cut in,
off we went,
needed several wedges,
I'm dabbing away when the tree
SPLIT,
it went way up the tree,
it was sort of walking around the stump,
I stepped back,
tripped over a pungi stake,
laid there the little saw idling sitting on my chest,
the tree finally went backwards,bashing a fir snag,
and mashing the tool box,
Me,I pictured stomping a catsup packet.
We took the fir,headed for a few Pabst.
We learned plenty,
did it bolster our safety awareness
Oh,sure it did.

Happy hewing to all, Humboldt

Last edited:
Randy, you have to write a book. You have the words, the history, and know how to paint with the words. It would be one of the better books I would read!

I don't drink anymore but Pabst?

:cheers:

PBR works fine for me....especially after a day of cutting rotten cedar that blows up off the back cut and doesn't hardly net a damn thing no matter how fancy you get............ - Sam

I was into the red whit and blue Bud's....No offence meant. Trust me I would have drank many PBRs in the day....Just liked Bud better.

And I agree a cold one after a hard dusty work day, there is nothing better. It really doesn't matter which brand.

:hmm3grin2orange:

Yes, HR aka Humboldt Red is my brother, his form of insanity is different from mine. The film is in the hands of the original photographer, an attempt to restore it and put on DVD. Craig thinks he may be able to lift stills, if nothing else.

A bit from the Bro.

Bro and I used to snag-hunt,
just to drop them.
I about got squished
we found a big Tanbark,
it was hollow enough to stand in.
all we had was a small 302 Echoe(best saw they ever made)
Decided to under-cut the solid side,
even had to climb inside to
get at what was going to be big
trouble,I had cut suckers as big as trees
left them looking like pungi stakes
with the under-cut in,
off we went,
needed several wedges,
I'm dabbing away when the tree
SPLIT,
it went way up the tree,
it was sort of walking around the stump,
I stepped back,
tripped over a pungi stake,
laid there the little saw idling sitting on my chest,
the tree finally went backwards,bashing a fir snag,
and mashing the tool box,
Me,I pictured stomping a catsup packet.
We took the fir,headed for a few Pabst.
We learned plenty,
did it bolster our safety awareness
Oh,sure it did.

Happy hewing to all, Humboldt
That would be scary, Stompimg the catsup package would be about right.

Awesome words Randy! Keep em coming. You could make a movie off of that kind of stuff. As long as they gave you complete creative control! The world needs something real like that. The book would still be better though.

A movie, LOL, to do it right, it would be longer then "The Stand". Movies miss so much, it hard to convey the various states of mind, in my case, that could be several. It would get a hard R rating, body count, sex, violence, bad language..........the stunt guys would get a work-out.

Randy,

Are you talking about the piece you let me read? If so, then I think it belongs here too. It's a little dark, but not at all out of place. The imagery and such fits here fine. Folks will enjoy it. I say post 'er up!:cheers:

a little dark?

I'll have a few brews and think about it.

Redwood1-1.jpg

A movie, LOL, to do it right, it would be longer then "The Stand". Movies miss so much, it hard to convey the various states of mind, in my case, that could be several. It would get a hard R rating, body count, sex, violence, bad language..........the stunt guys would get a work-out.

Yeah I know. Its hard to get the mind set of the individual from a movie. A lot gets lost. Even in a book not everything will come across. It would be awesome to see a serious attempt at one though. I need something decent to soak my brain into after the rest have gone to bed. The world needs a good kick in the ass right now, especially the youth.

Walking in the Dead of Night

Sometimes the sense of limited mortality looms closer
when the sun is at it's zenith on the far side of the earth.
The deepest dark does it's insidious best to touch
things that lie hidden from the sun's searching glare.
Thoughts wriggle like brush bunnies in thick briars
ever mindful of discovery.
As I trudge through damp thickets I avoid bright patches
keeping to the gloom of dank pathways.
Pausing by rotting giants I feel the weight of their lives
pressing into the soil waiting to fulfill the destiny of collapse.
Saplings old after the time to grow
wait for light they yearn for by the death of those who have taken it.
Others lying where they fell sigh the relief of returning to the earth
careless of where they lay.
At the edge of densest shade stretch meadows
forming forests for the small wetting the knees of the tall.
Vapors drift in cold air where rays warmed waters
not caught by the urge to join the race of gravity.
The darkness thickly soaks all sounds into it's self
even Death must clap hands to claim existence.
Here there are the oldest bones showing meekly through thin coverings of living verdigris proving that time stops for nothing.

Good stuff Randy. Your words are eerily familar to the endless pages of notebooks I have buried in my basement. The words have been dead for years now. Seems right around the time I quit drinking hard, although I get lapses once in a while. I used to scratch on any scrap of paper or notebook I could find for a long time. The one of yours that really gets me that I keep thinking about is,

"To walk up to a huge, silent being, with intent to tear into it's flesh with a ravening machine, a machine that has a mindless hunger, that gnaws with endless teeth, all the while gleefully howling it's bloodlust, I was all too often one with that beast."

The mindless hunger and endless teeth. Great stuff. I sure hope you get it all down. Even if not for a book, but at least for yourself. Although I know it can never seem like enough.

The one of yours that really gets me that I keep thinking about is,

"To walk up to a huge, silent being, with intent to tear into it's flesh with a ravening machine, a machine that has a mindless hunger, that gnaws with endless teeth, all the while gleefully howling it's bloodlust, I was all too often one with that beast."

Heh, that one really stuck with me as well, I keep thinking about that very sentence a whole lot.

It speaks volumes about stuff I do understand and a whole lot more about stuff I do not.

Pausing by rotting giants I feel the weight of their lives
pressing into the soil waiting to fulfill the destiny of collapse.
Saplings old after the time to grow
wait for light they yearn for by the death of those who have taken it.
Others lying where they fell sigh the relief of returning to the earth
careless of where they lay.

Yes. That exact feeling is what keeps me in the woods. You took the words right out of my brain.

I really appreciate the feedback, even the most simple remarks are valuble. I didn't expect the depth of feeling from the responses, I am in awe. I will do my best.

I'm still considering a title and cover art, my Annie is very helpfull in this.

This last Monday I spent the day driving my brother to a Dr visit in Ferndale, It was a good day to drive into southern Humboldt. We had a good talk, I got a bunch of great leads, some things that will be included, some not.

That last bit, "Walking", I wasn't sure about posting it, not out of fear of rejection, only that it might reveal more about me than I wanted. I need not have worried, you-all are a great group, you inspire me to out do myself.

Right now I am working on another fiasco my Bro and I got into, giant Madrones, very steep hillside, lack of common sense.......how we lived to this age.....

Back