The Descriptive Process

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Actually, it would be worse to be logging on my property. Just imagine Wow, is that a Humboldt?! Are you going to snipe that face?! What does that machine do?! Can I try your saw?! Could you start it for me?! What's Jasha like?!
All day long.

3 loads Bob? hope ya get paid good for that.
It wasn't that much of a day. Eighteen trees...Ponderosa... made three loads and all the trucks went out heavy. One self loader and two regular logging trucks. I don't know what the logs sold for, I was just hired help on this one, but I was more than happy with my day rate.

Here's a shot of one with a tapered hinge that went where it was supposed to but turned out ugly. I'll have to talk to my wife/photographer about just taking pictures of the pretty ones instead of this mess.

http://vid691.photobucket.com/albums/vv277/gologit/P2050287_zpsd6mkk63s.mp4

You get to use a skidder in there? I would think it would have to be loaded directly onto the trucks. I bet your forester had to negotiate pretty hard for that.

I've always hated the jobs I have worked on with morning noise restrictions.

We had to have a skidder. It had to be a very quiet skidder. The trees were scattered but all the skidder had to do was roadside them. The self loader loaded the first two trucks and then himself. Easy day.

lol, pulled out the stump, all is well. i thought my saws were slow, bout the same as yers lol.

i didn't know ya could do a vid that way.........guess ima have to figure out how to do it one day.
Yup, I put a little fancy cut on that side before I started 'cause I didn't have quite enough bar to go clear through and I didn't want to be doing the Swedish Stump Dance. There was several years of pine needles and duff for footing and it was like trying to walk on ball bearings, even with calks. Like I said, that one was ugly but my wife says the good ones are boring. LOL...she knows.
That saw is slow compared to more modern equipment. It's a PM850 that Eccentric and some other guys put together for me. It's a great old saw, runs like a top, I enjoy using it, and I'm glad to have it...but it sure points out how far saw technology has come since that Mac was new.

Yup, I put a little fancy cut on that side before I started 'cause I didn't have quite enough bar to go clear through and I didn't want to be doing the Swedish Stump Dance. There was several years of pine needles and duff for footing and it was like trying to walk on ball bearings, even with calks. Like I said, that one was ugly but my wife says the good ones are boring. LOL...she knows.
That saw is slow compared to more modern equipment. It's a PM850 that Eccentric and some other guys put together for me. It's a great old saw, runs like a top, I enjoy using it, and I'm glad to have it...but it sure points out how far saw technology has come since that Mac was new.

WHAT!! You mean you didn't have a pickup bed and trailer full of saws? Not the 50 saw plan? Blasphemy!

The nervousness as a tree goes down is why I have a zoom lens. Partial cuts are very hard to get pictures and videos in. The trees won't move out of the way.

WHAT!! You mean you didn't have a pickup bed and trailer full of saws? Not the 50 saw plan? Blasphemy!

Yup, struggled along with just one saw. The TreeSlingr 660 is long gone and I sold my 461 to Atpchas. The self loader guy carries a 660 that I could borrow if I needed it but the old Mac did just fine.
I'm still on the fence about getting a 661. I really think that today was the last of it for me and a 661, while nice to have, probably wouldn't get much use.
LOL...I'll run Cedarkerf's 661 at Farley's this year. Maybe that will get the bug out of my system for buying one.

that was good of them boys to do that, dam good people around.

Yup. A lot of guys contributed parts and pieces and Eccentric put them all together. I didn't know anything about it. Last year at the Napa GTG he just walked up and handed it to me...said "here, this is yours now". Good people.

PB010181_zpsf82b72d8.jpg

Nice work though 3 loads in one day, I take it there where multiple cutters? The big timber helps though.

I was the only faller. The guy on the self loader helped with a little bucking and limbing when he had time.
And you're right, the big stuff is easier to get volume.

Latest posts

Back