The Descriptive Process

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"Gated Community" jobs are probably ok. It's the residents that turn my stomach.

You're lucky you weren't required to have electric saws and a hybrid skidder under 2000 pounds. If they had eyeballed your corks you'd be banned until you bought some proper "earth slippers".

This particular property owner is actually pretty good. I've worked for him before and he's very down to earth and decent. He started out as a kid sanding fenders in a body shop and wound up with a string of body shops of his own. He understands work.
He and some of the other property owners have taken advantage of a loophole in the CC&Rs to have a little logging done. The other property owners, the ones who hate logging, are where all the curfew, ground remediation, and equipment restrictions come from.
The Forester is the guy I feel sorry for...he has to listen to all the complaints...and they're constant... and he has to make sure the loggers stay in compliance.
My part was easy but I'm always glad when those kind of jobs are done.

LOL...If you don't mind I won't pass along your suggestions for equipment and footwear. It's California...somebody might take your ideas seriously.

A quiet skidder required - and you show up with a noisy old MAC! At least it doesn't :innocent:. It is good to see an old saw working as intended.

Bringing one saw versus 50 is the difference between considering a saw a tool instead of a toy. Or a job instead of a recreational outing.

Ron

bob, that saw was cutting good, just sounds slow with the low revs on them compared to a modern stihl or husky. the last tree i took pulled a good chunk also. had to swing it with out a lot of holding wood . and your tree smelled better. hope you guys enjoy your new diggs once your settled in.

I have never been around a new one. Only LOUD ones.

I just talked to a neighbor--semi retired logger, and he is going to log some trees in my vicinity. Should I demand he wait till 10AM to start work? :) :drinkingcoffee: If I recall correctly, his equipment is pretty quiet, except for the yarders which he no longer has.

378 v6. the can is stock and goes up to the factory armored rain cap. does have a stainless steel clamp under the can. have seen the exhaust routed in many diff ways on these. not detriot loud but loud enough.

I don't know the brand ( I want to say a Franklin) but it was red (or maybe orange) and apparently really loud. Anyway, the last time my father logged on our mountain farm, a neighbor complained about the noise. The logger thought he would have a little fun and made as much noise as he could. Things escalated to the point where the neighbor threaten to shoot the logger if he continued to run the skidder without a muffler. Our neighbor was no yuppy or Florida transplant. He was a native of the mountains and meant business. Matters got sorted out and the job finished without bloodshed but I was told things were very tense for a good while. Ron

A quiet skidder required - and you show up with a noisy old MAC! At least it doesn't :innocent:. It is good to see an old saw working as intended.

Bringing one saw versus 50 is the difference between considering a saw a tool instead of a toy. Or a job instead of a recreational outing.

Ron

That Mac wasn't really much noiser than the triple ported 660. Different tone to it, lower and not as shrill. But hey, a saw is supposed to sound like a saw, not an oven timer going off.
The skidder was a little John Deere about one size up from a riding lawnmower.:laugh:
It was quiet, very quiet. The guy that owns it does a lot of urban-interface jobs and he's good at it. It was also the first skidder I've seen in a long time that wasn't leaking something. That thing was very clean.

I just talked to a neighbor--semi retired logger, and he is going to log some trees in my vicinity. Should I demand he wait till 10AM to start work? :) :drinkingcoffee:

Sure, give it a try. Or lighten up on him and let him start at eight. Be sure to tell him not to leak any fluids on the ground...or let his machinery leak any either.

Sure, give it a try. Or lighten up on him and let him start at eight. Be sure to tell him not to leak any fluids on the ground...or let his machinery leak any either.

Right now it is so wet that the only way to find a leak would have to be with a leak detecting dog. I'll start training TUD today.

This particular property owner is actually pretty good. I've worked for him before and he's very down to earth and decent. He started out as a kid sanding fenders in a body shop and wound up with a string of body shops of his own. He understands work.
He and some of the other property owners have taken advantage of a loophole in the CC&Rs to have a little logging done. The other property owners, the ones who hate logging, are where all the curfew, ground remediation, and equipment restrictions come from.
The Forester is the guy I feel sorry for...he has to listen to all the complaints...and they're constant... and he has to make sure the loggers stay in compliance.
My part was easy but I'm always glad when those kind of jobs are done.

LOL...If you don't mind I won't pass along your suggestions for equipment and footwear. It's California...somebody might take your ideas seriously.

I'm glad you found a good guy to work for. Most of them seem pretty decent at first, but their true colors come out eventually. My favorite is when they look you in the eye after the work is done and tell you that they aren't going to pay you. I've got $11,000 in the wind that I will never see due to three of these prima donnas. The money I'm owed isn't from logging, but the principle is the same.

Are you done? How'd the job turn out?

Latest posts

Back