The Descriptive Process

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
its not unheard of for the straight truck guys to be on the road at 4am, and home around 6pm, they tend to have farther to go then the self loaders, being they run to the big logging shows, getting 5-6 loads per truck off of one sale in a day... 20 30 loads a day total for some of em.

My trucker is usually up at 1:30-2 am. Gets to the shop, checks truck over, fuels, fixes stuff if need be. Gets on the road by 3 down by me by 5. Hauls a load of firewood somewhere down by me then back to the job to grab logs to go to the mill. Usually a short haul somewhere up there For the afternoon load and back to the mill. He shoots for being home about 5pm.

The straight trucks I've always been around start at 2 or 3 check the truck on the road before 4, a few I know said their first loads are at 1 am.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

A twelve hours day for a trucker? Seems almost unheard of.

Do you mean they work less than that or more?

My comment was going off of what the drivers used to tell me when I worked at the Sawyer mill. The guy (Marc) that offered me that driver's job out of White Pine said it would be 60+ hours per week too.

The guys around here don't seem to put in anywhere near that many hours.

When I was making great money hauling I was home about once a month. I stayed in the truck pretty much 24-7. Your maximum work week for most part is 60 hours with few exceptions unless you mess with your log. There are always tires to change and lenses to be replaced which makes for long weeks. Thanks

When I was making great money hauling I was home about once a month. I stayed in the truck pretty much 24-7. Your maximum work week for most part is 60 hours with few exceptions unless you mess with your log. There are always tires to change and lenses to be replaced which makes for long weeks. Thanks
Hard to mess with the logs now that they're electronic.

I have family members just East Of Palm Springs. So I drive the I-10 often. It has been awhile since I had to go through the scales going to or from Phoenix. Along that stretch of freeway in just the past year or two there have been at least 50 truck related deaths. Not long ago I remember when a bus driver who was sleep deprived ran into a truck driver who was asleep at the wheel killed 14 people. Yes they were way past their logged hours. It is rare that I have to deal with too many logged hours. Since being at my age I look forward to getting drowsy and looking for a nice nap area. When being a little younger the schedule was everything and I drove as long as I could pin my eyes open. Meeting the schedule that the scales keep was all that was important. Get into the wrong scales at the wrong time could cost big time. Several days of lost revenue and or several days of setbacks. Thanks

Fergot to mention I watched the self loader jockey back into the sight, unload trailer, load an entire load of Doug for, throw most of the binders and drive off...

All while having an argument on the phone, running half the loader with an elbow, notably missing all the fangers of his strong hand

Do you mean they work less than that or more?

My comment was going off of what the drivers used to tell me when I worked at the Sawyer mill. The guy (Marc) that offered me that driver's job out of White Pine said it would be 60+ hours per week too.

The guys around here don't seem to put in anywhere near that many hours.

Oh yeah I meant it sounds short. Lots of them leave home around 3-4 am and don't make it home till 6. Quite often they are running 16-18 hours. Then there is the part nobody sees when they have to grease, fix hoses, brakes and other maintenance. No wonder not many guys want to get into it.

In another note, the e log rules will effectively cripple our timber industry unless there is some sort of intrastate exemption or agricultural exemption. There is simply no way that our drivers will be able to make two trips a day in many cases. This will result in a massive shortage of trucking power. Unless the Mills double the trucking rate. Hard to believe they will but time will tell.

Oh yeah I meant it sounds short. Lots of them leave home around 3-4 am and don't make it home till 6. Quite often they are running 16-18 hours. Then there is the part nobody sees when they have to grease, fix hoses, brakes and other maintenance. No wonder not many guys want to get into it.

In another note, the e log rules will effectively cripple our timber industry unless there is some sort of intrastate exemption or agricultural exemption. There is simply no way that our drivers will be able to make two trips a day in many cases. This will result in a massive shortage of trucking power. Unless the Mills double the trucking rate. Hard to believe they will but time will tell.
Here some of the guys have had them in the trucks for a few years, seems like there's an exemption for a single truck or single driver setup I'll have to ask again.

A bad day
An inch of rain since the night before so the forwarder needs pulled up a hill.
3:30 or so ground is soft as hell should of quit 5 minutes before, but no I need to get these last two little under story firs out photos say the rest. The old girl took a skating lesson on an old growth stump that was soft with a 2 foot drop off.
Best part lesson learned look down more often before swinging back up from the finals.
fe84733a0f53ab87c53f6adac913c5c2.jpg
073040c03756c648a199a0accc27267a.jpg
b4acc2c8be5060c166160b6afcb3dbe1.jpg

A bad day
An inch of rain since the night before so the forwarder needs pulled up a hill.
3:30 or so ground is soft as hell should of quit 5 minutes before, but no I need to get these last two little under story firs out photos say the rest. The old girl took a skating lesson on an old growth stump that was soft with a 2 foot drop off.
Best part lesson learned look down more often before swinging back up from the finals.
fe84733a0f53ab87c53f6adac913c5c2.jpg
073040c03756c648a199a0accc27267a.jpg
b4acc2c8be5060c166160b6afcb3dbe1.jpg

Bummer, you folks going to get er righted on her own or will you need support

Bummer, you folks going to get er righted on her own or will you need support
She's back up on her own feet again as of this afternoon, as of right now damage is almost nothing just a bent screen on the upper house and lost some engine oil that was due for a change Friday afternoon. Recovery took a D4H, a 135 Kobelco, then a 1210B for a little extra pull but it came back over easy.

This is exactly how I was told it went. That's normal operating. There's normal operating then there's Break Up. Then they really put in the hours. Dean once told me that his record week during break up was 125 hours. That's nuts.

Latest posts

Back