The Descriptive Process

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Certifications have no weight except on paper. In the woods, it's experience that carries you through the day.

There's a lot of C Fallers that aren't necessarily timber fallers. A friend of mine is a B faller but has nowhere near the experience I've had (not that my 6 years is anything to puff my chest about) and I have no faller's certs or saw certs at all.

Last edited:
The Forest Service method of falling is for safety, not production. There's quite a process to the hazard tree in closed campground falling. It involves waiting--shutting off the saw just before the final cut is made and hollering, and waiting a bit before entering the area of falling limbs after the tree is down.

Certification was developed after a few deaths and accidents. There's a reason for it. One of the deaths, which was a guy driving by on his way to work, happened here. The tree being cut went over backwards, nobody was flagging or watching the road, and it nailed him.

No show. Ron

PS Since I interrupted this fine thread please let me repay with an East Tennessee slice of heaven served fresh through the truck window.

attachment.php

View attachment 291457

No show. Ron

PS Since I interrupted this fine thread please let me repay with an East Tennessee slice of heaven served fresh through the truck window.

Nice scenery! Looks warm and pleasant, too.

Everything is still dormant and brown here. Been a long winter. More snow again tomorrow!

Good scenery Ron! I'm currently in Idaho going to school. A lot of college students fight fire. I ran into a gal that fights fire for the FS. Figured she was on the line. Nope said she was a caller. I probed for a bit to see what she knew. Jokingly asked if she used the sloping back cut. She said yes and I asked why. She said if she was up against a rock on the back cut. I said why don't you bore it? It achieves the same result. She was defensive about it so dropped it. The WA DNR has a an ABC classification system maybe its 123 I don't know but I do know in order to fall big stuff 60" you have to be a professional timber called for I believe 6 years. And they check your work record. I have fire D's with the d r that are capable of some bigger stuff >18"<60"without having been a faller but at least this system uses experience.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Good scenery Ron! I'm currently in Idaho going to school. A lot of college students fight fire. I ran into a gal that fights fire for the FS. Figured she was on the line. Nope said she was a caller. I probed for a bit to see what she knew. Jokingly asked if she used the sloping back cut. She said yes and I asked why. She said if she was up against a rock on the back cut. I said why don't you bore it? It achieves the same result. She was defensive about it so dropped it. The WA DNR has a an ABC classification system maybe its 123 I don't know but I do know in order to fall big stuff 60" you have to be a professional timber called for I believe 6 years. And they check your work record. I have fire D's with the d r that are capable of some bigger stuff >18"<60"without having been a faller but at least this system uses experience.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Don't take this too badly, but we women who work in the woods, tend to get tired of having to justify or prove or show that we too, are able to do a few things. Believe me, it gets old. It tends to make us grumpy, which you may construe as "defensive". With men, it seems to stop as they get older, but we women have to put up with authenticating ourselves no matter what our age.:cheers:

Example: Do elk hunters ever ask men "Aren't you afraid of being out here all alone?"

However, I have enjoyed having volunteers come up to change a flat tire, even though I have and can change them myself. I lift the tire onto the wheel using arms and knees. I usually had started the process.
But then, I've helped out the guys when they needed another hand--like a log truck driver who just didn't have enough arms to adjust some thingamabob on the trailer.

You probably wouldn't get it unless you had a sex change for a few years, and I know that isn't going to happen. Nor should it.

Certifications have no weight except on paper. In the woods, it's experience that carries you through the day.

There's a lot of C Fallers that aren't necessarily timber fallers. A friend of mine is a B faller but has nowhere near the experience I've had (not that my 6 years is anything to puff my chest about) and I have no faller's certs or saw certs at all.

The Forest Service method of falling is for safety, not production. There's quite a process to the hazard tree in closed campground falling. It involves waiting--shutting off the saw just before the final cut is made and hollering, and waiting a bit before entering the area of falling limbs after the tree is down.

Certification was developed after a few deaths and accidents. There's a reason for it. One of the deaths, which was a guy driving by on his way to work, happened here. The tree being cut went over backwards, nobody was flagging or watching the road, and it nailed him.

Most safety stuff is reactionary, which is depressing when you think about it because intelligence and common sense to me are the most important safety items. In the old days, The U.S. Forest Service Health and Safety Code handbook defined the C faller as: "A journeyman level chainsaw operator capable of felling problematic and hazardous trees in a manner pursuant to the health and safety of forest workers." They never gave a true definition of "Journeyman" level but tradespeople recognize a journeyman level worker as having a number of years of experience in a variety of situations. So yes, it's doubtful that a young person with a few months experience is a C-certified operator unless they have relevant experience from elsewhere.

Don't take this too badly, but we women who work in the woods, tend to get tired of having to justify or prove or show that we too, are able to do a few things. Believe me, it gets old. It tends to make us grumpy, which you may construe as "defensive". With men, it seems to stop as they get older, but we women have to put up with authenticating ourselves no matter what our age.:cheers:

Example: Do elk hunters ever ask men "Aren't you afraid of being out here all alone?"

However, I have enjoyed having volunteers come up to change a flat tire, even though I have and can change them myself. I lift the tire onto the wheel using arms and knees. I usually had started the process.
But then, I've helped out the guys when they needed another hand--like a log truck driver who just didn't have enough arms to adjust some thingamabob on the trailer.

You probably wouldn't get it unless you had a sex change for a few years, and I know that isn't going to happen. Nor should it.

Possibly, but it would be the same thing I'd say to a man. It really shouldn't make women grumpy. Nothing was ever mentioned or questioned about her ability because she was a woman. I think women can be just as capable of doing the same things as a man. It all comes down to mindset not necessarily physical ability. Men get questioned about their ability too, especially young men. My point is just because someone questions ones ability it doesn't mean it is because of gender, it can be a legitimate question.

But anyways some hunter that comes up to a woman and asks a woman if they are afraid of being out there alone is rather imbecilic sounding IMHO unless something in conversation spurs this question.

I have not come across any women loggers yet, but plenty of women construction works and truck drivers and farmers. I have respect for women that work in any of the "man fields" and in fact women are proven to be better thinkers under stress then men. MY girl friend will jump right on the dozer and go, she cant keep grade for beans lol but she is by no means afraid to try. She also has 7 deer under her belt as where I have NONE lol (3 of them taken with a hand gun she has her pistol permit). So I respect her and all women. I have to daughters and I tell them that there is nothing they cannot do if they put their minds to it. Never underestimate a woman.

Yeah, half a century ago i WAS with a woman that made the time

Ahhh descriptive process....... I am stuck at home with my girlfriend who is somewhat disgruntled, as I have not spent much time with her this week. Its sunny and warm with trees to be cut and 25mph wind gusts.

we had together miserable with her whining about how little time we had together. Found one who really liked spending time with me!

Have you noticed that the smell of diesel kinda extracts into your skin?

I drained the crummy's fuel tank today and the plug popped unexpectedly on me. Had a diesel shower. I have bathed twice and still not allowed to the sitting room.

A good day or three around a camp/ bonfire gets rid of the diesel smell, especially with just a touch to much green wood... course you wont be let in the house until you sober up and take a swim...:msp_rolleyes:

I'll give the fish smell a try today. Fire for sure too, possibly swimming. Ice is getting quite thin over here, you see.

Back