The Descriptive Process

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Those deere skidders are an absolute beauty to work on. I spent 4 days.....yes 4 days trying to fix those 2 lines on the front axle of a 540B for the diff lock. the main pin that holds the axle in place came out on the guy running it whilst it was bobbing in the air pulling a heavy hitch. So I had to put in new lines and fittings and a new pin, bushing and seal in that axle housing... what a flipping nightmare.

That's nothing. I have seen ones that you almost have to dig to check the oil. Like a foot of that **** surrounding the oil pan & bottom of the block. Leaks anyone?

The belly pans on my dozer....they had things growing in them when I bought it. Now one of them has the crescent wrench I kept in my pocket. Hopefully it is still there the next time I pull the pans lol

RAIN AGAIN two days last week, same thing this week. I hate spring, least you know what to expect winter, summer, fall. how ya do week worth a work in two days? hot in summer, least its dry.

RAIN AGAIN two days last week, same thing this week. I hate spring, least you know what to expect winter, summer, fall. how ya do week worth a work in two days? hot in summer, least its dry.

The short answer.....you dont lol. Im heading for the woods today. Last day for this week, rain for the next 5 days I guess. Oh well will have to keep working on project crummy.

We have rain coming for 2moro I think. I'm gonna knock a hill side down and hope the lazy ass'd skidder op stays at the house! 2 straight days of logging and pulling cable...cut awhile, and go pull cable to them...while the skidder op just sits there waiting on me! :bang: It would have to be steep ass'd ground! I'm fricken wore out...wish he would leave me alone for a bit, I might actually get finished with job.

Oh man...it was funny today, I hooked a whopper pine and he hit the winch...that tree didn't even quiver and that damn skidder went to flying backwards down the hillside...fricken hilarious! From the look on his face, I think he crapped his pants a little! :hmm3grin2orange:

We have rain coming for 2moro I think. I'm gonna knock a hill side down and hope the lazy ass'd skidder op stays at the house! 2 straight days of logging and pulling cable...cut awhile, and go pull cable to them...while the skidder op just sits there waiting on me! :bang: It would have to be steep ass'd ground! I'm fricken wore out...wish he would leave me alone for a bit, I might actually get finished with job.

Oh man...it was funny today, I hooked a whopper pine and he hit the winch...that tree didn't even quiver and that damn skidder went to flying backwards down the hillside...fricken hilarious! From the look on his face, I think he crapped his pants a little! :hmm3grin2orange:

Poetic justice then :msp_thumbsup:

you were spossed to to leave a tree for ta back up to.....ha ha. :hmm3grin2orange: haaa, no one ever pulled cable for me but I've pulled plenty for others. don't you know they think saw work is easy, every thing in the woods goes better if everyone pulls together or... your by yourself. anyway least you worked today :D

Grim reminder from the Firewood Forum

Please Read
My father helps me a lot with my firewood business. He retired in 2003 and took up helping me as a hobby. He is one of those old school guys (66) that isn't happy unless he's working or doing something with his cows. I have had to watch dad over the last couple of years. He has started to walk to close behind the skid steer,hit the pedal a little when backing up to a trailer, little things like that. I'll call it slipping a little bit. He knew it and it was his biggest fear getting older and loosing his mind. It runs in the family. Yesterday we were out cutting trees on a property. We had put in a solid 4 hours or so. Dad can cut a 5-6 cord load of logs by himself in a day moving the blocks by hand out of his way pretty easy. I has dropped 4 trees up the hill for him to block up. I told him I was going to fall some big white oak trees down the hill. I fell the first one and cut it into logs. I moved to the next tree about 70ft with a 28-30DBH. It was a very nice white oak. There was nothing in my way. I notched and bore cut the tree from both sides. I started from the wrong side and I was finishing my cut with dad to my back. I always look out for him and make sure he wasn't in harms way. I cut cut the back strap and the tree started to go. I looked up and saw an orange saw. I knew I hadn't left anything there. It then struck me it was dad. I yelled at him right as the tree was coming down. The one time I didn;t check up on him he had walked right into my landing zone on his way to cut some other trees up. The branches hit him. They were around 4-6" branches. The branches hit him in the back of the head. He was still breathing. I called 911 then my mother and brother and sisters. They air lifted him to a hospital. Dad never came to again and he died this morning. My father has been a huge part of my 37years on this earth. We worked together everyday. Please be very careful out there. A few minutes in time can change your life forever. I lost my father and best friend today. It it very hard to deal with know you realeased the tree that took your fathers life. Becareful out there.

Scott

:msp_sad: Ron

I did see that and commented on it. I noticed some comments saying "it could happen to anyone". Bull####

He gets a big fail from me, he violated one of the most basic safety rules in falling trees, keeping an eye on the layout, until the tree is down.

A very sad event and one that need not to have happened.

oh my god......of course your right randy, but the sadness strikes me hard. I can't imagion it. this is why I don't have pop in the woods any more. he's at the landing but not in the woods. this is about the worst thing I ever read. very sad

oh my god......of course your right randy, but the sadness strikes me hard. I can't imagion it. this is why I don't have pop in the woods any more. he's at the landing but not in the woods. this is about the worst thing I ever read. very sad

Yes, a very tragic event, a moment of carelessness, led to a lifetime of sorrow.

There is only one person I have to help me in the woods and that is my brother. He doesnt do any falling what so ever as he is scared to death of it. So when I am doing the falling he stays well clear of me and I ALWAYS look to see where he is at before I drop one. My brother is...well he's my brother and I could never imagine what it would be like without him.

There is only one person I have to help me in the woods and that is my brother. He doesnt do any falling what so ever as he is scared to death of it. So when I am doing the falling he stays well clear of me and I ALWAYS look to see where he is at before I drop one. My brother is...well he's my brother and I could never imagine what it would be like without him.

Well some day, one or the other of one will find out, with luck it will be a long time.

I have a brother, he lives in Kentucky...thank God! If I had him in the woods I wouldn't get anything done...I'd be kickin' his ass all over the woods...fricken private schooled little punk...

I have a brother, he lives in Kentucky...thank God! If I had him in the woods I wouldn't get anything done...I'd be kickin' his ass all over the woods...fricken private schooled little punk...

Well maybe he can cuss posh lol .....and yell posh when ya kickin him

gotcha, now that dad is 72 I know how he musta felt when I started. least he don't go back in the woods any more. bad enugh worrying wether he gonna fall off the loader or sumtin.

A tragic event some sole losing their Father and words are no conselation at all.

However How Randy put it is exactly right and it maybe should serve as a wake up call to everyone connected to falling and the like ........The stick is not the only thing that a faller must watch and be aware of. I guess it been said a zillion times but it is worth saying a zillion more.

Back