The Descriptive Process

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have been told in the US Army if you did not smoke you did not get a break.ThHis was in the 40's& 50's.

In our army, in the 90's, everyone got the cigarette break, smokers or not. It was just that if a man wasn't smoking, it looked like he was doing nothing. That laid a man open to the risk of being picked for something.

Well, since the topic of health has come up, in the middle of last month, I changed my way of eating. I didn't think anything was happening. After a month, I can fit in my old ski pants. The bad thing?
They aren't as nice as the giant ones. I think I can put more velcro on the waistband of the big ones. I'd like to get down enough to wear my purple ones. They are very warm and shorter of leg.

Meanwhile, I want to keep on shrinking. There's a lot to go...

Oh, and I walk at least 3 miles about every other day if I don't go skiing or do something else. Which, I better go do after the sun burns some of the ice off. The bunions are also feeling better.

The pickup doors are frozen --again.

Was headed to a job about 150 miles from home.About halfway there on the interstate my Allison transmission in my 04 2500 hd starts jumping out of overdrive.I decided to try and make it back home and use my other 2500 hd and start the job monday.I didn't make it.About 25 miles from home it would barely do 50 mph.My transmission man tells me it's my transfer case and not my transmission and a GM reman will be $1700 plus $200 for him to put it in.Why does everything break down when you're not making any money?:(It's supposed to be ready tuesday.

I think I have a can out somewhere in the shop. While I am looking for it, I will probably find the iron I was looking for the other day to wax my skis. I sacrificed my clothes iron, again, for doing that job.

It was 20 outside when I got up. The ground and trees are white with frost.

The pickup doors are fine this morning. Now, the big doors on the shop are frozen to the concrete. I can't think of any reason other than asthetics that I need them open for in the next few days. Ah, the life on the wetside! I failed in my search for the silicone spray--I know it is out there somewhere, and the iron also did not show up.

I'm glad I didn't park my pickup indoors!

In our army, in the 90's, everyone got the cigarette break, smokers or not. It was just that if a man wasn't smoking, it looked like he was doing nothing. That laid a man open to the risk of being picked for something.

It was that way here too when I worked for the state. The employees' union had made a big stink that all employees were supposed to get two 15-minute breaks in addition to lunch. We never took the breaks prior to that. Instead of standing out front with the smokers though I'd go to the cafeteria and watch the lovely ladies there make doughnuts.

Today I am busy writing a policy that will become the rules I follow in my day-to-day activity. It's an interesting challenge -- I need to make sure that I give myself enough leash that I'm not always busy dotting "I's" and crossing "T's", but I still need to be explicit enough in the details that I don't systematically miss anything important. Also, everybody else needs to be able to understand and follow these rules as well. It's tough translating "that's how we do it" to "this is how you will do it". Right now I'm sort of mired in defining exactly WHY we have an inventory program. I mean, it's as obvious as the nose on my face to me why we need to know what's in our forest, but how do I describe it in terms that don't obligate me to unnecessary paperwork?

Flash cards - one side with scientific names, the other with the common names.

Daily walks in the woods for the rest of it.

Yup. Gettin some electronic ones from a guy. We don't do much from the NW alot of stuff from back east and around the world I hear. Unfortunately can't go try out the new snow shoes for those lol My 2yr course isn't good enough for a transfer because it only covered NW species... :bang:

You've already finished up your 2yr haven't ya?

Wes

Yup. Gettin some electronic ones from a guy. We don't do much from the NW alot of stuff from back east and around the world I hear. Unfortunately can't go try out the new snow shoes for those lol My 2yr course isn't good enough for a transfer because it only covered NW species... :bang:

You've already finished up your 2yr haven't ya?

Wes

Finished that up in May '10. Finished the bachelors Dec. '12.

Not being in school anymore is one hell of a weird feeling. :laugh:

Finished that up in May '10. Finished the bachelors Dec. '12.

Not being in school anymore is one hell of a weird feeling. :laugh:

Haha oh I hear ya. I'll be done in 14. Spent some time screwin around after high school so i'm takin a lil while lol What have ya been doin since bein out?

Ok, let me see if I can get out of the whining mode and into the descriptive mode...or are they the same thing??? :dizzy:
I've been fighting a chest cold, or the flu, or something for the last several days. I decided that whether I felt good or not, it was time to go back to work today.
When I got there the tempreature was -1, so I got to mess around charging batteries, and squirtin' starting fluid. After about an hour I finally got it started (it must have known I felt bad, because usually it starts good in the cold).
When I parked it last week I didn't fill it with diesel because I was coming down with something, and didn't feel good. Oh, and evidently I didn't bother putting any PowerService in the fuel tank on the truck because the pump would just trickle fuel out. :cry:
I stuck the nozel in the tank and let it trickle, while I got in the truck to warm up......and apparantly took about an hour nap. :msp_scared:
I woke up in a panic about the fuel, but it had only trickled about 10 gallons into the tank, which I figured was enough to do what I felt like doing. :clap:
I was able to put in about 4 hours "mulching" before the fuel gauge was pegged on empty. Did I mention that the heater doesn't work in this machine? I was freezing my ass off. But it did warm up to 22 degrees by then, so the diesel was trickling a little faster. Got it filled up and came home. It's supposed to get to -6 tonight, and shows to be up to 0 by 10 am. :msp_sad: I guess I'll try it again tomorrow, see if it goes any better. :msp_rolleyes:

Hey, this descriptive process is a lot like whining....just more long winded. :laugh:

Andy

can you get different grades of diesel down there? I think #1 is a bit thinner, for cold weather stuff... maybe it was the other way around...

You could start a little fire in the cab, maybe use a cut off soda can and some saw fuel... just don't run over any big bumps or sneeze... or have a beard, or any thing flammable, in the cab with you...

So I guess you'll have to shave your head and wear your nomex skivvies, you got nomex skivvies right...

can you get different grades of diesel down there? I think #1 is a bit thinner, for cold weather stuff... maybe it was the other way around...

You could start a little fire in the cab, maybe use a cut off soda can and some saw fuel... just don't run over any big bumps or sneeze... or have a beard, or any thing flammable, in the cab with you...

So I guess you'll have to shave your head and wear your nomex skivvies, you got nomex skivvies right...

Different grades of diesel??? Man, this is the desert southwest, why would we need different grades of diesel? :laugh: At least that must be what the distributers figure.
Back when they made coffee can's out of metal, we'd put a roll of toilet paper in one, fill it with rubbing alcohol, and light it up. Made a good heater, but I never used one in a moving vehicle. :msp_scared:
I really try to avoid anything that involves nomex underwear. :cheers:

Andy

You already back on the east side? Dammit, I got busy and forgot to go get a beer with ya while you were over here. Next time!

Yup. I PMd ya but figured you were busy. I'll be back in May for the summer but gonna be spending most of it up in Port Angeles. Already got my gig for the summer. I'll be down to home and Oly though so now worries. How'd christmas go?

Sounds like writing policy is alot more descriptive than Dendro.... :msp_biggrin:

On retirement: I get bored some days, when the weather is bad, but I got bored some days at work. I prefer to be bored at home.

Today the weather is nasty, but I've got a good book, the fiddle, WII exercising, and annoying to be done in the Off Topic Forum.

White death on, white death changes to rain then back to white death.

I too am puzzled about a transgender bathroom, but my head would hurt if I thought about it too much.
In some places, there is only one bathroom and it must be shared by all. Maybe that's the answer?

Maybe kinda like your avatar -- just a little bit bent?

That is an increment borer that got run over by a truck, enit?

Latest posts

Back