The Descriptive Process

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ah, thank goodness for the ignore list. Bye Jomoco

It's nice, isn't it? When some ****-stirrer shows up and just want s to disrupt things, argue for no good reason, and...most of all...draw attention to himself, we can just push the magic button and he goes away.

Maybe forming a tight defensive circle in rhythmic timing will make you jerks feel more manly n macho?

jomoco

Trees live thousands of years, while we live a mere hundred years.

Yet you make the judgement that they die that you might live?

That there are no tenable choices other than death to trees so humans can gain expedient gratification of their flawed momentary desires?

Who would have dreamed that death and profiting from death would become 21st century virtues today?

jomoco

Trees live thousands of years, while we live a mere hundred years.

No. . . Quit generalizing with your grandiose exaggerations. It may work on the average brain dead Southern Californian, but we all know better here. Many, many species of trees have a life cycle of sixty to two hundred years, not thousands!!

Yet you make the judgement that they die that you might live?

Yup, based on silly science and pesky forestry.

That there are no tenable choices other than death to trees so humans can gain expedient gratification of their flawed momentary desires?

Need a hug?

Who would have dreamed that death and profiting from death would become 21st century virtues today?

jomoco

Hitler, the United Nations, Bush 1&2, the Clinton's, Obama, the entire Middle East. . . Shall I continue?

Let's be PNW loggers and stick with big conifers that live over a thousand years.

Say Coast Redwoods?

The tall swayers...

They give us clean energy, we let them live to a ripe old age.

Change beneficial to both man and tree.

jomoco

Yeah, they already let all those live. Redwood harvest is second and third growth these days.

If we're pretending, lets pretend we all live like the Natives, and we're "one" with nature. Never touching or using a resource.

Oh wait, they practiced forestry and plains stewardship using fire.

I think you're trying to win an unwinnable argument. The science just doesn't back up what you're trying to promote or say. There is no rape and pillage going on, everyone in the timber industry these days wants sustainable, renewable harvest. Who wants to work themselves out of a job? Nobody in the timber industry I know.

Well, Metals there you go using logic and common sense. For those who stand on the other side of the tree it just doesn't work.

You're completely ignoring the gainful employment aspect of rigging tall conifers for clean power generation.

It would of necessity entail the removal of a limited number of trees just for infrastructure placement in each area.

Semi accessibility comes in mighty handy during wildfire scenarios.

Each harnessed tree would need a well grounded lightning conduction system

The job potential could easily outnumber that provided by the logging and milling industries combined.

Scary huh?

jomoco

Here's the deal: nobody ever said anything about "no way renewable energy will ever work!", just the same as nobody ever said "We gotta kill all the trees because they're evil!" Fact is, trees are a renewable resource, and an in-demand one at that. Certain places (such as the Pacific Northwest, where I live and work) are VERY good at growing trees, and FAST. Clearly, the days of cut-and-run logging are over. We have laws about that, even. You can look it up. OG redwoods are pretty much off the table for cutting ever again, and there's a long story behind that which you can also look up. OG anything is pretty difficult to get permission to cut anywhere in the Lower 48 (SE Alaska is a different story). Many renewable energy sources have flat-out failed to live up to their promise, and all have shown limitations. I come from both a Forestry and a Nuclear Power background, so these things are very familiar to me. In the long run, what needs done is this: lots of research into both current and future resources and improvement in processes and efficiencies of both. I can say that in the span of my puny little career I have seen plenty of improvements and innovations in both, and expect to see more of the same.

I know I'd feel better playing a caretaker role in this industry rather than a death dealing role exclusively.

Believe me, I've cut down enough healthy live beautiful trees sufficient to fry my azz in hell many times over, assuming it's a sin to kill them by the thousands.

A percentage of the electricity generated can be used to pump water, distribute and store water.

jomoco

Empirically speaking, a mature 300 foot conifer, makes a helluva lot more oxygen, and soaks up a helluva lot more CO2, than puny 80 foot juveniles do.

Logic n facts cut two ways in this discussion between tree assassins...

jomoco

On the contrary. A mature 300 foot conifer has already fixed nearly all of the CO2 that it is going to in its life, and respires only as much as necessary to maintain its foliage and root functions. By contrast, a young stand can double or triple its carbon inventory in a decade or less. We should be focused more on developing young stands than on stagnating old ones. A good rule of thumb: if the average tree in a stand has a pointy top, that stand is vigorously growing, and if the average tree in a stand is a flat-topped wagon wheel, the stand is no longer putting on volume.

EDIT: I should also add that if you cut a tree and use the lumber to build a house, that carbon remains fixed throughout the lifetime of that house and beyond, through the actions of decomposers and the complex food webs that depend on them. It is only released as CO2 through combustion.

On the contrary. A mature 300 foot conifer has already fixed nearly all of the CO2 that it is going to in its life, and respires only as much as necessary to maintain its foliage and root functions. By contrast, a young stand can double or triple its carbon inventory in a decade or less. We should be focused more on developing young stands than on stagnating old ones. A good rule of thumb: if the average tree in a stand has a pointy top, that stand is vigorously growing, and if the average tree in a stand is a flat-topped wagon wheel, the stand is no longer putting on volume.

EDIT: I should also add that if you cut a tree and use the lumber to build a house, that carbon remains fixed throughout the lifetime of that house and beyond, through the actions of decomposers and the complex food webs that depend on them. It is only released as CO2 through combustion.
quoted just to like it again. i think i said this to you before but i wish you worked over here.

Empirically speaking, a mature 300 foot conifer, makes a helluva lot more oxygen, and soaks up a helluva lot more CO2, than puny 80 foot juveniles do.

Logic n facts cut two ways in this discussion between tree assassins...

jomoco
no. like the hatte posted. you need to do some more rounded research. and what are the forests going to look like with a bunch of rigging hanging off of them. but i think your not on here to have a rational discussion on the subject, your here to argue and or not be open to any other facts that do not correspond to your one sided point of view. peace out dude. lol.

Latest posts

Back