The Descriptive Process

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey is Huskstihl stihl on here?

Maybe some of you guys could help me figure something out. I have been having problems with my left hand. I run 8 hour days and when I get done and almost to the house my left hand draws up like a massive charlie horse and distorts my hand into looking like a withered claw. I am not getting charlie horses anywhere else so I am ruling out dehydration.

I fractured that same hand 2 months ago and didn't go get treatment, I could still manage to start my saw and hold it so I just tried to make it work. With the said hand healing from injury...the cramping of said hand feels as if my fracture is gonna crack back open...very painful even though it only lasts no more than a minute and only happens once or twice a day.

Have any of you guys ever experienced hand cramping such as I have described? If so, do you know anything I could take to help it stay away while the fracture continues to try and heal?

Thanks in advance.

Oh and Randy...yer a bad ass, no doubt brother! WHOOT!
Doesn't really sound like carpal tunnel or nerve damage. You may be overusing some of the muscles due to the injury, but I can't think of a magic bullet (other than time and patience) to help it. If you lose feeling, or the meaty part at the base of u'r thumb starts to get smaller, that's a different story.
Good luck with it, and be aware I might not know much more about hands than y'all.

IIRC, the Council is based on the Dayton pattern which has a shorter poll than a rafting axe. I have seen a few short poll axes with busted or bulging eyes. I assume this is because the weight of the axe in concentrated in the cheek and the poll and eye may not have been designed for driving whatever the user had been driving. I don't know that driving plastic wedges can hurt a Dayton pattern. But I like old school and old steel so that is why I looked for a rafting axe. My axe didn't cost me any more than a new 5# Council with shipping. Just took a lot of patience to find as there are about 800 new "axe" listings a day on eBay. Those found with easy search terms are bid up pretty quick. Ron

Ron, love the old Plumb. What kind of search terms did you use? I'm an official axe nut, the better half and my old man just shake their heads... the old man is more understanding though. Once I have more disposable income I will start selectively collecting meaningful pieces. Until this summer I had been on the hunt for the perfect single bit cruisers axe; I'm happy with the one I got but the handle could be a little thicker for my taste. I have my eye on another of about the right dimensions. But my wish list is about 2 miles long and getting married (January) has made me realize most of it is just dreaming. I got into enough hot water with the better half after announcing my new toy (D4 7U) and subsequent plans to restore it. Again the old man was very supportive of that trade... hell he supplied the trading goods (hay) haha A new Barco falling axe is on the list too, unless I can find myself a nice Plumb like you have sir.

Wes

Wes,

I started with "rafting axe" but a lot of those aren't listed as such and the ones that are bid up fast. Almost same results with "plumb" "5 pound" "5#". So I just started using only "axe" and recently listed (so I could catch any "buy it now" - though I never found any of interest). I waded through four or five 200 item per page pages every day, put in multiple bids and finally hit on two. Both from the PNW - one CA and one OR. There is an axe collectors collection being listed a few axes at a time but the shipping is high and the two rafting axes listed didn't hit the reserve (both Plumbs).

As to handles, I decided to make my own from a maddock handle since I bought the axe for whacking not chopping.

Ron

Wes,

I started with "rafting axe" but a lot of those aren't listed as such and the ones that are bid up fast. Almost same results with "plumb" "5 pound" "5#". So I just started using only "axe" and recently listed (so I could catch any "buy it now" - though I never found any of interest). I waded through four or five 200 item per page pages every day, put in multiple bids and finally hit on two. Both from the PNW - one CA and one OR. There is an axe collectors collection being listed a few axes at a time but the shipping is high and the two rafting axes listed didn't hit the reserve (both Plumbs).

As to handles, I decided to make my own from a maddock handle since I bought the axe for whacking not chopping.

Ron
I would hang my own as well. We can get strait rafting handles is what I would use. Thanks Ron!

them bikes are worth coin. wished i had kept all of them . there pretty cool but some of them ol bikes even them Spaniards had there let's say issues. and they all had different personality's even in the same year and model. unlike a lot of today's cookie cutter bikes . but i would rather spend more time on a modern bike just for the comfort and reliability. alpina?

Modern trail bikes just don't look right to me. But I like single cylinder 2 stroke trail bikes, radials on airplanes, old MACs, loping big blocks, and revving Harleys. As a kid, I'm sure I wore a new groove in my brother's soundtrack album of The Wild Angels as I played it over and over revving the Harleys with the volume knob - my mother had to be a saint not to have killed me or smashed the record player. Ron

Yeah, might be the last time we see 50 degrees for awhile, eh? Gonna screw up some tires for runnin' over on the lake when things freeze up.
Looks like a short snap. . . I hope!

d5d8e0073dfe4bdbf76850021cb01a19.jpg

Latest posts

Back