The Descriptive Process

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The good news is you and Brad now have the same plan for that tree. Great minds......

I'm maturing, so not gonna give advice there, but it's not like that tree is giving any option other than cut it and stay really light on u'r feet
your about right there.

hey Bob for the record, i normally go 40% on most faces........i just think that shell will colapse as soon as its touched.

your about right there.

hey Bob for the record, i normally go 40% on most faces........i just think that shell will colapse as soon as its touched.
If the measurements were accurate, 50" across and 20" deep. I think u'r "shallow face, fast backcut" is the only thing you could do. Or bore it with a deep face and 4" hinge (quintuple facepalm).

If the measurements were accurate, 50" across and 20" deep. I think u'r "shallow face, fast backcut" is the only thing you could do. Or bore it with a deep face and 4" hinge (quintuple facepalm).
i bet there ain't 4" of wood around that joker.......surprise the **** outta some one that hasn't seen that before.

i bet there ain't 4" of wood around that joker.......surprise the **** outta some one that hasn't seen that before.

Yup. Stove pipe. I hate those things. I don't know how the hardwoods are but I've seen fir and pine snags just collapse straight down or have one big piece slab out from the vibrations of the saw.

I think I'd push that one over with a shovel...Jon, that's an excavator with a heel boom and grapples for you Texas guys.

they act funny.........most hardwood has at least a slight lean or one sided top weight, so i never seen one come straight down.........they could do anything though..

It's hard to explain. Most of the stove pipes I cut were burn salvage that had been left standing way too long. Lead and lay didn't matter because they were left to continue rotting. Some were pretty solid but some weren't. Sounding them with your ax didn't always tell the whole story and you had to stay on your toes.
Sometimes, depending on how hollow they were, or how rotten, they'd suffer something almost like a structural failure and fall apart. Big slabs would break off above you and if they broke off all the way they dropped straight down with almost no noise. Spooky. You went home at night with a crick in your neck from looking up all the time.
I usually asked for money when I was falling snags.

I cut one yesterday that made my toes curl a little..............had about 1 1/2" of wood under the bark, leaning all to h#!!.... That one was the worst, we are cutting a boundary now that needed cut 15-20 years ago. A whole lotta heart rot. I hate Black Oaks..............that is all.

Tom

I think I will go back and stay in bed all day. It seems to be a dangerous day. Woke up at 3AM to ack, ack, BRRRAACK. The Used Dog had upchucked a chunk of bone on the rug. Took care of that. Then, after napping a bit and getting up for real, a splinter off a piece of kindling impaled itself in my finger. Latest goof--came close to dumping my computer whist standing up to let The Used Dog out. What more will happen?

No crab? Gotta have crab.

Hey, I have a question for you. Why the hell do we keep answering those goofy "how do I fall this tree" posts? Some of the methods suggested by the weekend warriors are strange and some are just downright scary. We put in our two cents worth and it's mostly ignored or argued with. I think I''ll stay up here in F&L...it's saner here.

Costco did have whole Alaskan king crab for $105.00. I will take a 5 minute drive and buy Dungeness off the boat.

To answer your question, it's because I'm stupid and like peeing up a rope. I don't even comment on things like this in real life. I don't want anyone to get hurt but normally I just stand back and watch it all happen. Besides how could I beat no face and a pole saw?

It's hard to explain. Most of the stove pipes I cut were burn salvage that had been left standing way too long. Lead and lay didn't matter because they were left to continue rotting. Some were pretty solid but some weren't. Sounding them with your ax didn't always tell the whole story and you had to stay on your toes.
Sometimes, depending on how hollow they were, or how rotten, they'd suffer something almost like a structural failure and fall apart. Big slabs would break off above you and if they broke off all the way they dropped straight down with almost no noise. Spooky. You went home at night with a crick in your neck from looking up all the time.
I usually asked for money when I was falling snags.

An easy very obvious stovepipe.

Back