The Famous Annual "Really Heat With Wood" Poll

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I Really Really Really Heat With Wood

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Every time the thermostat clicks, the wife beats me with a busted axe handle.
No exceptions, and especially hard on sub zero nights.

Some sort of pavlovian psychological experiment gone bad, thanks to the propane bill.

I think we paid 300 bucks total last year for propane, and most of that went to the water heater and cook stove.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

Interesting how much of the middle of the country uses propane primarily when fuel oil is so prevalent in the north east.

I heat something like 60-70% with wood. Rest is oil, also for DHW. I'd like to be all fuel wood, but if you saw the house you'd understand why that's impossible at this point.

100% wood heat

Just unhooked the gas furnace today. The old Fisher Grandma Bear is serving full time in the basement. Am gonna reinstall the gas furnace in a more convenient location and hook it all back up but won't use it till its time to resell the house. then the fisher comes out and goes with me to the next place.

Interesting how much of the middle of the country uses propane primarily when fuel oil is so prevalent in the north east.

I heat something like 60-70% with wood. Rest is oil, also for DHW. I'd like to be all fuel wood, but if you saw the house you'd understand why that's impossible at this point.

LOL!!

It would take a billion barrels of oil to make enough Caulk to seal up the old Hootch? LOL!!
It's gotta suck when the original pine pitch and mud dries out.;)

Back when we had a bunch of active midwest oil wells and refinerys, folks used lots of stove oil. Nowdays, it's just not practical cuz ya still need the propane for the stove, water heater, and somtimes the dryer anyway.

I'm unsure why the northeast stayed with oil heat though.
Cost works out about the same if ya fill at the right times.

One of them things I guess.;)

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

Almost 100% wood heat. We use the natural gas furnace only when it hits below zero to put a little heat in the basement. My gas bill runs the same summer or winter due to the stove, water heater, and the clothes dryer. Usually $35-40.

I use about 50 gallons of heating oil a year. Mostly in the early fall and the spring. My stove is in the basement and the heat just radiates through the floor. It takes a good fire to heat the basement and then a second load to bring the heat upstairs. Once the basement is heated you can feel the temp change just by throwing on a few pieces. Anyhow, it just don't pay to light it until the day temps are in the 50's and the nights in the low 30's. Forced hot air heat just comes up to quick when you just want to take the chill out the walls.

100% with wood, and have been for over 20 years.
The only other source of "heat" is when the wife chews on my :censored: for doing something wrong!

Almost 100% wood. Only use the propane furnace a little in the early season and when we go away for a winter vacation. Started the OWB on 10-2 and she will be going until we take our annual trip to sunny Florida. I have an oversize heat exchanger in our system and even at -17 the system keeps our home toasty. I also heat our DHW, attached 2 car garage, 4400 sq ft pole buiding and the hot tub.

If OWB's are set up properly they can be very efficient and when burned properly with seasoned wood they do not create excessive smoke as many claim.

I heat 100% with wood, Me & the Propane Co could Not agree on what a Gallon of propane should cost so I told them to get their tank out of my yard-6 Years Ago :) Been 100% wood ever since...

need another line to the poll

I fit in the heat with wood when it is cold enough too. Wood heat is too hot for the weather we are having now. 40s at night and 70s during the day. If I start a fire at night it gets too hot in the house to sleep and I cant stand to be in the house till around noon the next day. When 40s are the high and 20s are the low fire works great, but for now the heat pump will have to knock the chill off in the mornings. I guess if I had a little pine I could burn a first of the morning fire to knock the chill off, but even a little oak stick will burn too long for what I need.

Wood stove. I have a space heater down in the basement in my office, and in the worst of the cold we sometimes run a space heater in the living room, which is at the far end of the house from the stove.

I plan to put in a blower and ductwork to get hot air to the living room one of these days....

i cqan not vote i get free natural gas by meens of a gas well on the property. Well 2 actaully. If it was not for that than 100% wood heat. I could not imagine paying the man for heat

100%.

We had to get a new electric furnace installed for the mortgage co when we moved in. They didn't however state that it had to be hooked up. So we have a 5 year old furnace down in the basement that has never been used or even turned on, with no wiring to make it work.

An Alderlea T-6 on the main floor, a Fisher in the basement shop, a Vermont Iron Stove Works, Elm, in the basement game room. Gonna be another Elm or Fisher(have one of each ready to be rebuilt) in the meat shack when we get the meat cutting shop finished.

Since his health came back and before he got broken in the game. The boy helped build a new shed stuffed full with 28 cord, 6 to 8 in the barn. Ready to go.

Owl

100% wood for heat but not the water heater. Humidifier on the add on wbf is nicest part of the set up into the ducts. Also have a mid floor fireplace insert that doesn't get used much. I just bought a Honda EU 2000 to run the blower if elect loss but thinkin might need a second one (you can run 2 together) for getting the blower moving.

80% wood and have gas furness to help heat my big colonial. I have a Defiant Encore setting on hearth and 8 inch SS liner up the chimney.

Latest posts

Back