the french coffin saw...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It has been said many times that the value of an old saw is what is agreed between buyer and seller.

I was just lucky to find this one, and it did cost less than a Jin Feng Mc Culloch. If it had been necessary, I would have paid a little more though :)

What? You mean you got this monster for less than the price of a rebadged "Power Horse?" Oh my, to have a piece of history and beat out the legendary
"tronçonneuse de cheval" to boot? You truly are a gifted collector and connosor des tronçonneuses! :yourock::greenchainsaw:

Amazing find.

And from a country that is really only known for being good at hosting an invasion.

Roland, I always marvel at the saws that you find.

Guy's I know that it is easy to make fun of the French, and kinda fun also, but without the French there is no United States. French help was crucial in our revolution. No French help, no USA. Shortly after that they conquered most of Europe, twice. Just sayin. JR

Thanks for digging up this old thread.
In the meantime, I did find a suitable chain for it (traded with a french collector), and after cleaning the points, she runs very nicely.

The military PPK may seem very rare to most of the overseas members, but I see them pop up regularly on french ebay sites. A french collector who has become a good friend of mine told me that the number of chainsaw collectors in france is growing fast and it becomes more difficult to get hold of french oldies.

Isna, that seems indeed a ppk 80, and in good condition. Grab it if you can.
I was travelling in Annecy a few weeks ago for business. The Alps are really impressive.

I found another PPK80 army version this week in Belgium, this time without the coffin but complete with chain and all, barely used.
Very easy starter.

The 'wheels' are customized by the previous owner, but make it a heck easier to transport alone. Enjoy

ppk80j.jpg

ppk80plate-1.jpg

chain.jpg

ppk80e.jpg

ppk80b-1.jpg

Grrrr.....you got that right....-12°C as we speak. My back hurts like h@ll for 2 weeks already, probably due to this cold weather.
We had a record low yesterday at -18°C.

Pretty cool, even in French. I gotta add that it does seen very French with an axe swingin' man in a chainsaw company's logo.

Yes, funny indeed, but there's a text on top of the logo that reads 'Ecoute bûcheron, arreste un peu le bras" which should translate as
'Listen up logger, hold/rest that arm for while" . The axe and hand saw was all they knew at that time, so the idea of the logo was not that bad imo....kinda like early marketing.

The transition period varied from region to region. One of my Grandfathers embraced technology and berated those who hung with oxen, when steam was available. When he finally wrested control of the mill away from the mossbacks, he eliminated quite a few heavy and dangerous manual labor jobs with high powered machines.
I do remember my Grandad talking about the Mall he bought to log his ranch, he wasn't so sure it was faster than handtools. It wasn't until 1951 when Homelites arrived in South Humboldt, that he left the axe and the crosscut behind.

The transition period varied from region to region. One of my Grandfathers embraced technology and berated those who hung with oxen, when steam was available. When he finally wrested control of the mill away from the mossbacks, he eliminated quite a few heavy and dangerous manual labor jobs with high powered machines.
I do remember my Grandad talking about the Mall he bought to log his ranch, he wasn't so sure it was faster than handtools. It wasn't until 1951 when Homelites arrived in South Humboldt, that he left the axe and the crosscut behind.

As mentioned in the brochure, it was not that easy to convert old style conservative loggers into users of modern technology in those days. If you read history from Stihl, Dolmar, etc. it took them huge efforts to sell a saw in those days, involving a lot of demoing, etc. Tough crowd, them loggers.:hmm3grin2orange:

Some of the Redwood loggers pushed past the limits of what available. Those who followed owe a lot to a few innovative hardheaded men, that knew there was a better way. Logging history is all about power and noise.

Latest posts

Back