The hard way to load logs

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
would anyone really take that for firewood? anyone here crazy enough? :D
it looks kinda like the sugar maple around here
even so.. wouldnt you rather cut and split 2x the amount of something crappy like poplar, to make up the btu difference, rather than mess with that thing?

would anyone really take that for firewood? anyone here crazy enough? :D
it looks kinda like the sugar maple around here
even so.. wouldnt you rather cut and split 2x the amount of something crappy like poplar, to make up the btu difference, rather than mess with that thing?

I wouldn't go out and get it, but if it showed up at my door, I would process it and burn it...:msp_thumbup:

I was thinking about this stupid thread :msp_biggrin: while I was performing tree surgery on a botched take down...(dont let all that weight in the top fool you, I am sure you can get it to go up hill against the lean)...

I am convinced these guys lived there and were trying to save $$$...

I think they finally figured out they couldnt get it in the truck and went and rented the trailer...

even fly by night tree guys wouldnt try that with a truck that small....

Last edited:
I suspect that this block of wood was destined for some use other than burning.

I'd say it'll end up at their frat house as a tasteful piece of outdoor furniture..perhaps a table out on the patio. They'll sit around it all school year drinking beer and yucking it up about how they slayed the beast and brought it home. ....Only to say wtf when the year comes to an end and they have to haul that mutha out of the frat house!

well stach. we know its not you cause with the cape you would have just picked it up and loaded it by hand...:hmm3grin2orange:

That looks like a couple of Michigan Tech engineering majors.

Next month there will be a new show on History Channel. About guys who make a million bucks on weird wood they pick up on the side of the road. They drive around in a mini truck shooting paintballs into the woods and screaming obscenities at dead squirrels.

i love your file handles :msp_biggrin:
Actually, those aren't file handles. They are removable pins that lock the side rails to the back rail, similar to a hinge pin. In the above Pic, the back rail is lying flat on top the load. Here's the rail pin setup:

TruckSideboards4.jpg

Being able to take the back rail off in a jiffy is a real plus. ;)

Actually, those aren't file handles. They are removable pins that lock the side rails to the back rail, similar to a hinge pin. In the above Pic, the back rail is lying flat on top the load. Here's the rail pin setup:

TruckSideboards4.jpg

Being able to take the back rail off in a jiffy is a real plus. ;)

nice design

Cab-High Loads

nice design
Thanks. The best part about this design is that it is so easy to remove that back rail, yet it holds tight when in position. The rails allow me to increase load volume capacity 25%.

So, my little Ranger matches an F-150 without racks in volume capacity, and most of the time, I'm not carrying green oak, mulberry, or locust. So, I can stack the load cab high and haul it away.

Remember also that you only need those racks to be about 8" to 9" high. Most racks that I have seen are way too tall and invite overloading the truck. And, it's then tough to work over the top of them to load or unload.

my f150 squats like hell when i load it up the top of the bed rails with green wood, and handles horrible , havnt done it in a while .
tools/saws in the truck, wood in the trailer,

i like how you even stained the boards, you take pride in your projects :msp_thumbup:

In '77 I watched in amazement as a petite women and her vertically challenged hubby moved a full sized grand piano down six flights of stairs.....they did not even break a sweat.

They knew exactly what they were doing and how to do it.

Wish I had a video of it.

They had a box truck with "Nevada's only professional piano movers". Printed on the side of it.

Can't say that I ever accomplished that, but I sometimes scritch my noggin at some of the crazy stuff I - or me and a pal moved.

Today, the boy - he's 6 - wanted to look for worms to scare his sister with under an oak round that weighed way more than him. Gave him a steel bar and told him to get busy. Didn't even want praise from the ole man afterwards. Just grabbed a millipede and went looking for his sister.

Goo'boy!lol

Yes. And they were successful in loading it. I'm thinking it will be furniture.

I doubt those boys are as accomplished as Furniture Master Jon Brooks, but there's interesting stuff that creatice folks can conjure out of wood.

This guy has a current show at the Currier Museum of Art in Manchester. Nothing wooddoctor couldn't knock out in a couple hours.

yellowc-700.jpg

bench-1.jpg

two-dogs-l.jpg

troika640.jpg

citronBOTH.jpg

matisse-72.jpg

I doubt those boys are as accomplished as Furniture Master Jon Brooks, but there's interesting stuff that creatice folks can conjure out of wood.

This guy has a current show at the Currier Museum of Art in Manchester. Nothing wooddoctor couldn't knock out in a couple hours.

yellowc-700.jpg

bench-1.jpg

two-dogs-l.jpg

troika640.jpg

citronBOTH.jpg

matisse-72.jpg

That's some pretty crazy lookin furniture. :rolleyes:

Back