The Homelite 540/8800 Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was reading through this and decided I just had to post a pic of this 540 clone to give ya'll somethin else to watch for on the bay

DSCF1266.jpg

DSCF1265.jpg

seen that and i do have the manual somewhere for rebuilding that saw and the 540 varient

Here's another little bit of differences between the 540 and 8800. The 540 tank/handle assembly is made of plastic. 8800 is magnesium. 8800 is on the left and 540 on the right.

attachment.php

You can see a few obvious differences in this pic. The tank venting system is different, as well as the attachment point for the ignition kill switch.

Here's a side view. 540 to the left and rear.
attachment.php

Exterior grommet is used to seal the carb hi/lo jets on the 8800. The fuel/oil caps are different as can be seen here as well.

Dan

The cylinders on the 8800 and 540 aren't just different in their transfers. The cooling fins are sloped at different angles, and the exhaust attachment is different between them as well. In fact, the mufflers are completely different, except for the cap.

540 starter side view
attachment.php

8800 starter side view
attachment.php

540 clutch side view
attachment.php

8800 clutch side view
attachment.php

Dan

Here's some muffler shots. Ignore the cap on the 540, since its not original. The 540 body has 3 separate pieces. The back half, an inner diffuser, and the front half. Three bolts inside attach the back half to the cylinder. You have to separate the front half in order to get to the inner three attaching screws. Two additional screws hold on the bottom to the crankcase halves.

attachment.php

The 8800 simplified the muffler design. It uses a one-piece housing and bolts to the cylinder with 2 long bolts. Same two lower screws attach to the crankcase halves.

attachment.php

Dan

8800...worth how much?

stopped by a couple of pawn shops today and saw an 8800. Stumbled on this thread this evening--and nowhere has anyone said what they are worth. The one I saw looked super nice, though I didn't start it or even look at anything closely. They had a $325 price tag on it.

homelite 540

I thought I would post this one here as I just picked it up the other day. I don't think it has had two hours on it. I ended up replacing the original carb boot with an 064 066 660 carb boot and modified it to fit. What an upgrade from factory.
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Last edited:
Who got the yellow one off ebay yesterday morning? Bidding was low to the end. I guess my snipe should have been more.

My pics

Here are a couple of pictures of the 540 that I bought new about 20 years ago. I found it at Northern Tool with a 20" safety tip bar. The original B&C has never seen wood as I put the 30" on it shortly after I got the saw. I do not think I have 2 hours of run time on the saw. If anyone is interested, I might sell or trade it.

PioneerP-20Poulan361002.jpg

PioneerP-20Poulan361001.jpg

Last edited:
Here are a couple of pictures of the 540 that I bought new about 20 years ago. I found it at Northern Tool with a 20" safety tip bar. The original B&C has never seen wood as I put the 30" on it shortly after I got the saw. I do not think I have 2 hours of run time on the saw. If anyone is interested, I might sell or trade it.

You already know that I am interested. You can put it in the box with the Lancaster. PM me with your demands for a trade.

Who got the yellow one off ebay yesterday morning? Bidding was low to the end. I guess my snipe should have been more.

You are kidding me. I need to start looking harder, I only scan for 540's and 8800's. Ive grabbed every 540 that Ive seen on ebay. Send me a link to that auction if ya have it Saw Dr. Thanks buddy!

You are kidding me. I need to start looking harder, I only scan for 540's and 8800's. Ive grabbed every 540 that Ive seen on ebay. Send me a link to that auction if ya have it Saw Dr. Thanks buddy!

Only if you promise to share. There have been two recently. One got relisted because the seller would not ship. Not sure if it sold the second time. I have family in Buffalo, but doubtful they would have picked it up for me. The other one did sell yesterday. Guy had it listed as a 55cc saw. :dizzy::dizzy:

Homelite Super 650

Alright guys.....

I recently picked up a Homelite super 650 with 2) 46" B&C's but has no spark. Local chainsaw shop said ignition coil and spark plug cover bad but said he tried for 1/2 hour to locate parts online with no luck. I am salivating to start this 100cc beast. Does anyone have the Homey Homelite connection? I need ignition coil, plug cover, blade guides and blade nuts. Any help would be appreciated.

Worst case scenario, I will part out whole saw w/blades and chains for $100.00 but would rather fix.

Would be willing to throw in my Husqvarna 65 w/20" B&C towards parts for this beast. Let me know. Thanks guys

Latest posts

Back