The house my chainsaw built

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kayaklogger

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hey guys, I doubt anyone here actually remembers me, but I thought I'd take a second to show you the house I built with my chainsaw.

japanesehouse

I learned a lot, which I should type up at some point.
Heck, I've had a few beers so here goes:

This is for milling medium sized softwood logs.

The Saw: Buy a big saw, like an 066 not an 046, port it, run it rich (drop the rpms by 1000, run it 40 to 1 at least.
Don't use a wrap handle, it gets in the way

The Bar: a NEW 36 inches, 50gauge, 3/8ths
Normal 7 tooth sprocket, buy extra, you'll need them
set the oiler all the way up

The Chain: I just use the normal ripping chain, the granberg stuff doesn't cut any faster. You MUST be a sharpening ninja. equal teeth, deadly sharp, sharpened often, most people can't do this by hand. Take the rakers down to .35

I also have a second smaller saw for edging so I don't have to switch over.

What you can reasonably accomplish:

CS milling makes sense for cutting beams and possibly making boards of very soft wood. The only 1x I'll cut is cedar. I'll cut cedar boards with a CS mill. Big old douglas fir is for beams only as the blade needs a resharpen with every cut. Hemlock and spruce are good for beams and for 2x boards. If you have an amazing piece of hard wood and you just want a few slabs a CS mill might be a good choice.

Bottom line: If you are thinking of making lots of lumber with a chainsaw you are smoking crack or just like pain. Cedar and spruce and hemlock and pine are about the only thing it's sane to make lots of boards from. For doug fir I'd cut beams and resaw them. Also, I never, ever mill anything with a chainsaw that I can drive a bandmill or lucasmill to, it's the right tool for the job. I use a chainsaw to cut on beaches and in the woods.

Wear a respirator, the fumes of a big ported richened saw will kill you.

Brian

Brian,

1st off, a whole house with a CSM is impressive, I can understand your point with a bandsaw, or circular saw mill... a LOT of work :bang:

I will say, the house is IMPRESSIVE.... I've always been a fan of wood building, and I love log-homes, but your place brings about some new thought, and ideas.. :clap:

11k?! that's AWESOME...

Gotta ask, might you explain what "if I'd known that I was going to use a cedar shake roof I absolutely would have dipped the ridge and flown the gables. means??

thanks!

Jay

now that's what i'm talking about! great post, very inspiring stuff. douglas fir sure is beautiful wood. i'd love to build a rustic cabin someday in a style similar to yours. nice work!

Love the house - great design elements all the way, a rare thing especially with so many natural edges.

Bottom line: If you are thinking of making lots of lumber with a chainsaw you are smoking crack or just like pain.

While I agree its not a "lots of lumber making" device, CS milling doesn't have to involve a lot of pain.
I'm one of the most unfit and lazy CS millers I know and the primary source of my pain is moving the lumber rather than cutting it.
122413d1264083774-bobsnew-millingstyle-jpg

Beautiful! Love the combination of linear and natural forms. Live edge vertical siding looks great and fits so well with the forest atmosphere. What's the little door for?

Great design and a story to match. You should submit this to Fine Homebuilding magazine.

Love the house - great design elements all the way, a rare thing especially with so many natural edges.

While I agree its not a "lots of lumber making" device, CS milling doesn't have to involve a lot of pain.
I'm one of the most unfit and lazy CS millers I know and the primary source of my pain is moving the lumber rather than cutting it.
122413d1264083774-bobsnew-millingstyle-jpg

You're not lazy Bob ... just a whole lot smarter than some of us!

Last edited:
Beautiful! I really like the stairs. I was thinking of making a set of spiral stairs to my loft, with a log for a center, but I may change to your design. I've got to think about this now. Thanks for posting, Joe.

Great Job Kayaklogger. I remember you from a couple years ago. I am pretty sure it was you came and bought some white oak for your kayaks from me. I wish I had the time to build a cabin like that.

One thing I really like about this forum is for the most part it is a place where you are complimented for doing a good job or get helpfull advise if you didn't. Lets keep things positive here guys. Thanks

OP, nice place you made there, beautiful setting too.

Your kayaks look real good. I'm more into canoes myself, but promised my wife I'd try kayaks since she prefers them over canoes on the ocean. Someday...

Mr. HE:cool:

Nice work. I suppose your local "authorities" would not let you build a traditional outhouse? There is a certain beauty in simple functionality.

Latest posts

Back