The Kart Engine Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
attachment.php

Right...

Stock port 101, still waiting for it to get here.

PP top end, still waiting for it to get here.

Probably won't work on any of it this week, want to be ready for the Ontario GTG.

Google's a start, feebay, and "other places" have been quite friendly for me and I have yet to encounter any animosity about putting these in a saw as opposed to a kart. Guys seem to be happy that anyone is paying attention and have money to spend.

Google's a start, feebay, and "other places" have been quite friendly for me and I have yet to encounter any animosity about putting these in a saw as opposed to a kart. Guys seem to be happy that anyone is paying attention and have money to spend.

That's been my experience as well. Even saw guys are well received on the karting forums and I've traded many, many parts with kart guys and helped kart guys with the conversion of saw engines for use on the karts. That's the good thing about the Macs and West Bends, there's literally millions of them around so no shortage for anyone.

That's been my experience as well. Even saw guys are well received on the karting forums and I've traded many, many parts with kart guys and helped kart guys with the conversion of saw engines for use on the karts. That's the good thing about the Macs and West Bends, there's literally millions of them around so no shortage for anyone.

It does bother me though when I see saws like the Solo or Echo twin-cylinders chopped up to make an R/C airplane or boat motor. :(

No wonder I cant have a kart engine!:jawdrop:

What a waste, why should they exist if you aint gonna use them.
Vintage Kart races waiting to happen.

I'd like to see a kart with 35hp 2cyl rude OB motor sporting a heater core radiator. Porting and polishing plus pipes added to the stock adjustable timing should be a fire breather.

Last edited:
Inside the Power Products AH-81 jug, 130cc.

Exhaust port is at the bottom, transfers to the sides. Hemi? Eh, no. Flat head. Ports are like in a McCulloch as the rings float.

attachment.php

A look in through the exhaust.

attachment.php

Jug and goofy window ported piston, more on that below. Jug came out at 2.503, no taper I could find, piston is 2.498 on the skirt.

attachment.php

It seems this thing transfers through those holes in the piston skirt only. I need to pop the old jug and look at the case, because the ducts are there. If they're useable, this engine should wake right up if the case will permit.

attachment.php

Lastly, the port map.

attachment.php

The corresponding ports in the piston are .750 dia at .850 from crown to top of port.

Time to start wrenching... this weekend.

wish granted

I'd like to see a kart with 35hp 2cyl rude OB motor sporting a heater core radiator. Porting and polishing plus pipes added to the stock adjustable timing should be a fire breather.[/QUOTE]

asand1- google rearenginekarts.com view topic the big one 2008 and click 'the hovey hawk konig at riverside-video' several amazing vids of what you described. these are restored vintage karts from the late 50's early 60's.

Last edited:
How bout a 'kart' called a Honda CR-X? I wanna shove an Evinrude 250 hp v8 outboard engine in that with a manual trans... :rock:

I hope to be able to build a good kart someday with a Rotax 800 triple in it... :blob2:

How bout a 'kart' called a Honda CR-X? I wanna shove an Evinrude 250 hp v8 outboard engine in that with a manual trans... :rock:

I hope to be able to build a good kart someday with a Rotax 800 triple in it... :blob2:

My personal choice for a "beyond kart" saw would be a 582 with the aero dual plug heads. Far beyond my fab skills at present, I'm afraid.

Inside the Power Products AH-81 jug, 130cc.

Exhaust port is at the bottom, transfers to the sides. Hemi? Eh, no. Flat head. Ports are like in a McCulloch as the rings float.

A look in through the exhaust.

Jug and goofy window ported piston, more on that below. Jug came out at 2.503, no taper I could find, piston is 2.498 on the skirt.

It seems this thing transfers through those holes in the piston skirt only. I need to pop the old jug and look at the case, because the ducts are there. If they're useable, this engine should wake right up if the case will permit.

Lastly, the port map.

The corresponding ports in the piston are .750 dia at .850 from crown to top of port.

Time to start wrenching... this weekend.

Great info Charles. Neat old engines. IIRC, a McCulloch 77 chainsaw has the same bore as that AH81. Must have a shorter stroke, as that engine is "only" 7.3ci/120cc...:jester:

attachment.php

There is also two different pistons for them. One, like yours, allows the jug to sit where the exhaust is pointed to the left or right, and another where the piston windows are open by the wrist pin, so the jug can sit with a forward facing exhaust. The jug can be rotated on the base, as long as you have the corresponding piston.

There is also two different pistons for them. One, like yours, allows the jug to sit where the exhaust is pointed to the left or right, and another where the piston windows are open by the wrist pin, so the jug can sit with a forward facing exhaust. The jug can be rotated on the base, as long as you have the corresponding piston.

Correct. The guy I got this from asked which one I needed...

Latest posts

Back