The lightweights

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The new (2013) Stihl 150 chainsaw may be the lightest gasoline chainsaw on the market today. I've not weighed one to verify factory claimed weight. Are there any other contenders for lightest gasoline chainsaw? I seem to recall having once read about a 22CC chainsaw, but can't recall where or brand name.

My first saw

Model Profile: 140-1 "BEAVER"

MANUFACTURED BY:
REMINGTON ARMS CO.
PARK FOREST, ILLINOIS, U.S.A.
TORONTO, ONTARIO, CANADA

SERIES OR ASSEMBLY NUMBER:

YEAR INTRODUCED:

YEAR DISCONTINUED:

ENGINE DISPLACEMENT:
2.1 cu. in. (34.4 cc)

NUMBER OF CYLINDERS:

CYLINDER BORE:
1.5 in. (38 mm)

PISTON STROKE:
1.2 in. (30.4 mm)

CYLINDER TYPE:
Aluminum with chrome plated bore

INTAKE METHOD:
Piston ported

MANUFACTURER ADVERTISED H.P.:
not advertised

WEIGHT :
6-1/2 lbs. (2.9 kg) powerhead only

I need to hang mine on the scale....all metal saw, no plastic...

"Sounds" like just another rebranded Canadian made Skil/Frontier - or whatever the original was....

271t

Echo 271T. It will surprise you. Skinny chain cuts nicely even buried in 20" maple.

The only fair way to compare saw weights is empty PHO!

Everything else is optional, and introduce variables.

It is up to the user how much he fills in the tanks, and what bar and chain he (or she) use.

Last edited:
Just throwing it out there. Homelite super ez. All metal, 41cc, about 9#. That would out cut all these little sub 30cc pruners, and not much more weight. I hear it cuts like a much larger saw. Once I get mine back together, I will weigh it and do a cut test.

Sthil 170 190 (171 172 191 192) are light weight plastic
chassie hobby saws - the professional saws have a number
starting with 0 (e.g., 020) or 2 (e.g., MS200).

Just what I have "snapped up" - could be quite wrong :) ... .

The Stihl 150 is listed in the pro tree saw section.

I watched a u-tube video off someone using it. Very smooth cuts.

Wiz

I looked at an Echo CS-271 today. I think it is the same size and weight as a Mini Mac but with a more narrow and long engine case, probably a whole lot easier to work on too. I'm 6'3 and have long arms, with the way the handles are on that saw I could cut some really high limbs while standing on the ground. I'll have to start watching Fleabay for a neglected one!

The Stihl 150 is listed in the pro tree saw section.

I watched a u-tube video off someone using it. Very smooth cuts.

Wiz

They cut really smooth due to running 1/4" chain. I've handled one in the local Stihl dealer and they feel really nice, light, and well balanced. I've got a couple of 200T's so won't buy one but they certainly have a place and seem like a cool little saw.

22cc is a joke. What does it run a 6'' bar? (LMAO)
Ten inches. This is my go-to chainsaw for when I choose to work with one hand extended; admittedly a bad practice but occasionally useful to help deal with blackberry thorns. It has been a reliable chainsaw for us, though not heavily used. My wife especially likes it.

"22cc is a joke. What does it run a 6'' bar? (LMAO)" The Makita DCS231T runs a 3/8 40 link chain on a ten inch bar.

It does what he needs it to do. Where is the joke in that????

I've got a muffler modded 271t. Had that Honeycomb muffler I had to drill out and open deflector and limiters on the carb to remove and ritchen the H. Made a considerable difference. Starts one or two pulls every time for five years. I use a ten inch bar and will go back to a 12 or 14 after that mod. this lil thing is no joke. 26.9cc at the dry weight of 6.6 lb I heard that Stihl 150 is 700 bucks. Glad I don't follow the crowd I'd be poor with lame saws.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2015-11-07-03-24-58.png
    Screenshot_2015-11-07-03-24-58.png
    34.7 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_20151024_121851.jpg
    IMG_20151024_121851.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 24
Back