The longest bar

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice to revitalize the old threads from time to time.

I have a 48" bar on my McCulloch 840 with 1/2" pitch chain. It will make a pile of chips in a hurry.

191132d1311029481-dscn0854-jpg

191133d1311029482-100_1802%25202-jpg

Mark

Last edited:
The longest bar I've got right now is a 36" for the 660. I had a 41" that I was using on it for a few trees.

The long skinny bars of today are odd to my eyes, used to the long curves of the older styles. 48" is as long as I have today, got a few 36-42 inchers. I spent many hours running Homelite and McCulloch gear-drives with 6 footers, moving them from place to place was a bit of a chore, getting on top a big log could be tough.

2100006-1.jpg

I have a 30" on my Homelite 540, and a 30" on my 550CS (saw is en route). Also have a 28" on the 090, and a 28" on the PP655.
Would have a bigger bar for the 090, but just dont have the wood around here for it. Long bars look good, but just dont have a need for anything over 30" for what I do. I wouldnt mind grabbing something bigger for the 090 for display.

Mine is a oregon powermatch plus 32" with full comp RSK on my husky 2100CD. Hasnt really got used yet..but we got a tree on this job that we might cut (it is on the property line and is leaning heavily over the other property's field and is gonna need pulled)....so my boss isnt sure if he wants to cut it yet.) i might just bring it in to drop this 5 foot red oak...that looks sound as can be. We will see.

I run a 36" on my 3120, but been weirdly wanting this one on ebay...
it's so big (84") he had to take a dozen pics to show it all lol

I'd have to put training wheels on the nose and roll or drag it wherever I went... it'd give a new meaning to the term roller nose

Ive got the 72" Its really not as much fun as everybody thinks. If you dont carry it over your shoulder, or with a hand on the bar, it is way too much stress on the mounts.
191150d1311038208-gtg-9-10-050-jpg

Little ol me, I never can find wood to justify this much saw :) But I gotta put the weight training to use :D

With my 3120 it takes a light hand when the bar is buried.

Last edited:
I'd have to put training wheels on the nose and roll or drag it wherever I went... it'd give a new meaning to the term roller nose

attachment.php

Took them off though after I got it. Its the longest bar overall I have, 4-footer maybe, haven't mesured. Otherwise for running saws it would be the total 28" 3/8 on the 2100CD.

attachment.php

Ive got the 72" Its really not as much fun as everybody thinks. If you dont carry it over your shoulder, or with a hand on the bar, it is way too much stress on the mounts.
191150d1311038208-gtg-9-10-050-jpg

Same setup we have at the Road Commission. It's fun to go through the big logs, but no fun to move that saw around or sharpen it.

Well guys i cut the big oak today...ended up being 4' at the butt with the root flares trimmed...prolly closer to 4 1/2' with the flares still on it. And no pics i didnt have my phone with me it was in my pickup...and i didnt use the 2100 on it either like i wanted...but the 046 with 24" bar did the trick and no fiber pull. Boss said we had to cut it today since we got the OK from the neighboring landowner. My partner has the 7900's in his pickup and he didnt show today so i used the 046. I might get a stump pic of it tomorrow but i dont know if i want to walk that far back to where we where to cut it, as it was the last tree on that skid road we had to cut.....and it was in the 90's today with extremely high humidity and its gonna be high 90s tomorrow with even higher humidity....so we will see.

Back