The longest bar

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No kidding. I was trying to get a 5 footer a couple of years back, and that was the biggest walnut I'd ever seen.

Mark

i wonder if that was 12' on the stump? heck 5' on the stump is a big walnut!! i think about 45" is the biggest one that i have ever cut myself. any body got and pics of big walnuts?

We have some 10-12 ft doug fir stumps on this property. One was called the "Century Tree" by the locals until it was felled in the 1980s. We have some live old growth CA black oaks that are 5-6 ft DBH, which are the largest DBH trees left here. I have seen black walnuts up to 8 ft DBH in California.

A 22" would proll'y be the perfect length bar for the 361... if anyone made them.

Its a Sandvik. Windsor still make them.

I like the length; the trees on this property are only up to 40"+ and the 22" bar really eats its way through quick with a 9T sprocket. Fast and strong.

47" on any of the 880, 090, 070. I use it mainly for milling.

A question to all of the people (with very strong arms) who use long bars for felling. How do you stop them bending? Mine is a Stihl Duromatic .... so a reasonable bar - but it bends appreciably when you hold the saw on its side. If you are doing accurate cuts (felling a bit tree), how do you deal with the flexing?

Running a 20" on my MS390 right now

But I am looking for a 30-32" bar. It was tough taking town a 65" maple with a little 20 inch bar....LOL (half the people on the block were out there to see it, and then when I pulled out the 390 they were like "he's gonna use that?" But they cleared out when I started it.....must have been the noise? It didn't have a problem cutting, just reaching the middle.

I should not have looked in here ;)

Still 22" w/ 9T :chainsaw:

Last edited:
10"????

Poulan3400SuperXXV002.jpg

Actually, I have a 30" on my Homelite 540.

PioneerP-20Poulan361001.jpg

That looks so much better than my measly 36, but it balances nice! Would rather have a 42 or a 48 for it though.

I am looking to get a 36" for it. The 54" is for show, I will be happy if I get to use it once or twice. It is very heavy and awkward.

20" isn't worth bringing up, but that's what I run the the McCulloch. Hope to purchase a 576 XP with a 24" bar someday...

Latest posts

Back