The mingo firewood marker

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mingo is the way to gogo

I have one and it works great.:rock: :clap: :biggrinbounce2: :blob2:

I read this thread today and ordered a mingo from baileys today thanks david:)

I tried out the Mingo I bought some blue paint at lowes and promptly sprayed myself with the Mingo. I went out to the wood pile and sprayed my glove a few times dropped the tip to the spray can so it didn't work. Found the tip put it back on the can sprayed my self a few more times. :dizzy:

Ok after I got used to using it I really like it sure is quick I roll the wheel in reverse to the stop than run the Mingo down the log. It is really fast and efficient. :clap: David

another Mingo question.

When using the Mingo, does the final wood length come out to be 16" (or whatever lenght the wheel is for)? Or do you get a 15 1/2" piece after the saw goes through?

Bill

How fast or slow you roll the Mingo, determines the size of the dots.
The slower you roll, obviously, the more paint is released by the trigger ramp on the wheel.

It's a pretty good bet that if you are bucking a 40" diameter log, your saw may wander a bit from the vertical, possibly as much as a half inch.

If a half inch concerns you, you might as well get out your calipers and take readings as you cut.:dizzy:

Generally though, if you cut through the middle of the paint dot, and the log is not huge, you stay pretty accurate.:cheers:

You need to experiment so that the dot is the same size as your chain width (saw kerf), that way the dot is eliminated and you won't have messy paint and spots on your firewood.
:jawdrop:

Last edited:
i to have seen it advertised

but i just thought it was something for the noobie homeowner, i didnt think that many actual woodsmen used it. i mean it is a great idea, personally i have always eyeballed the wood, an old friend used a crayon and tape, he put tape on end of log and as he measured he marked, if it was to short he cut it for firewood, if long enough it was sold to sawmill.

Yeah, this has been an interesting thread. Notice something? Everybody who thinks it's a gimmick is basing that on looking at it in a catalog.

Everybody who actually owns one thinks it's great.

Hmmmm. Funny how that works! :D

I'm sorely tempted to get one, but almost all of my wood comes as butts from a log processor, so I don't have long logs to deal with. Still have to cut to lenght, just not sure how efficient the Mingo would be for making one mark per piece.

never used the mingo, but can confirm that those firewood stix that thread onto the bar mount didn't work very well for me. I had it broken off inside about 15 minutes. Forget it's hanging off the side just once and you'll run it into something that'll snap it off.

Ian

Yeah, this has been an interesting thread. Notice something? Everybody who thinks it's a gimmick is basing that on looking at it in a catalog.

Everybody who actually owns one thinks it's great.

Hmmmm. Funny how that works! :D

I'm sorely tempted to get one, but almost all of my wood comes as butts from a log processor, so I don't have long logs to deal with. Still have to cut to lenght, just not sure how efficient the Mingo would be for making one mark per piece.

I thought it was a gimmick also when one of my partners talked about buying one. I watched him use it the first time, curious about whether or not it would work. We haven't used tape measure / sticks / guestimating since! My suggestion: Buy one... and buy another one in case you lose the first... LOL.

I've been reading about these for a while now (actually because of this thread :D) and just ordered mine from Bailey's (along with some chain and a breaker/spinner).

It's worth it to me to have uniform pieces of firewood, especially since I sell some each year and the customers appreciate the more uniform lengths.

Once I get it I will give it a test run and let you know how it works for me.

Ok, my Mingo Marker has arrived. In the FAQ section of their site, they say to use a marker type paint, specifically one that sprays when the nozzel is pushed sideways. It will not function if the nozzel has to be depressed down to spray.:confused: I always thought that all spray paint nozzels were depressed to make them spray. :dizzy:
So my question is, what is the actual brand of spray paint you guys are using in it????

Thanks much,

Carl :greenchainsaw:

I just received mine yesterday as well, but have not tried it out yet. I really have to find me some wood as I haven't cut anything in a while.

.... back to the question at hand.

If you go to the Bailey's site and then to the mingo firewood marker, you can click the images tab and it will show you a can of rustoleum inverted marking paint. I am sure that most (if not all) highway departments use them so they should be sold just about anywhere. I am going to get mine from the local acklands grainger.

The paint is also available at the local "big box" retailers. We get it from Lowes but have seen it in Home Depot as well.

Enjoy your Mingo. We marked 10 cord of logs with ours this weekend....

Had a little trouble getting started. Sprayed about a 2' swath down the first log. :monkey: But after I figured it out this thing really works slick. No more eyeballing wood for me. I've got the 18" wheel for my bigger stove as well.

Mingo Marker

I have been cutting wood for over twenty years and have used several different ways to mark the wood.I have found that the easiest for me is using a plastic rod mounted to the saw.I have put duct tape on the rod at each of the lenths that I need to measure.I think that by the time that you use the Mingo to mark I can have the log about half cut up.Just by using my eyes my wood doesn't vary that much.I also use a hose clamp with a stick that is the correct length.With my methods I don't have to buy paint.These are just my opions. Thanks for your time. Uncle FooFoo

Back