The MS261 is here!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Never mistake stupidity for bravery.

Or as they say in my neck of the woods a good run is better than a bad stand,LOL

Joat I thought you done said to hell with posting and went off in the hills of ole South Carolina never to be seen again. Good thing you popped up for I been feeding ole blue real good and was letting him sniff those Wendy gift cards you sent me awhile back. He had your scent and I was just about to unleashed the critter to come flush you out. Guess I can put him back on Alpo dog food now, no need to fatten him up anymore on prime raw possum belly and buzzard gizzards.

So ole Joat whatcha think of the new kid on the block? Seems to run pretty strong. Little ole thang caused quite a stir among the chainsaw brothern. The little saw that could can be summed up with two words, it did,haha

Tant got the Martin yet, but I went to the music shop here in town to get up close view of the mighty D28. She's a beauty for sure. All glossy and shiny, real pretty wood in that thing. It was so shiny I could see my face reflecting in it. Was so much like a mirrow I whipped out my comb and started combing my doo. Then all the sudden I started seeing things. Yup there I was on stage with da King, Porter, Johnny Cash, Hank Williams, Bill Monroe and host of others that been long gone. We was pounding out Will the Circle be Unbroken. In a front row seat was the Lord hollering play that Martin baby, play that Martin. I was about to get down on it when that prick behind the counter asked are you interested in that. Broke my con cen tra shun and ruined the whole dayumm show, that low life. One good thing though, you was playing fiddle Joat so maybe it was good that guy snapped me out of it,:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

You're right that a MMd 261 is a great saw. However, what I finally ended up with is far more than minimally more than the MM. I nearly tripled the gains I got from just the MM.

The "tripled the gains" part made me go back to find the MM vids, and in gathering more data, I found i had made an egregious error. The reason there was so much variation in the 261 times was that i had used the 8-pin data instead of the 7-pin. We're already worried about apples to apples, and I compared apples to pie.

You can believe the numbers, just don't trust the dumbasses who put those numbers together. I think I got it right this time though. Hopefully this will make things right, and perhaps give Diesel his summary.

First up, the 261:

attachment.php

For the record, the error bars are 95% confidence limits. Brad was confused by the lack of response of the 346 to a muffler mod, but (based on the videos in post 240), the same thing happened to the 261. Given that we are dealing with virtually no power in terms of the analysis, and pseudoreplication (treating replicate cuts from one saw as replicate saws), the results need to be taken with a few bites off of a salt lick. caveats aside, the ported 261 was significantly faster than the stock or MM 261. Although the muffler modded 261 was slower than stock, it was not significantly slower.

Next, the 346:

attachment.php

No error bars for the stock or MM saws, because each video only showed a single cut (conspiracy theorists start your engines!). No replication means no analysis, so take the comparisons for what they are. It also means no analysis comparing the 346 to the 261 in stock or MM form.

That leaves us with a comparison of the ported saws:

attachment.php

Making up for the implication from the preceding graphs that Brad needs to work on his muffler mods a little, is the result (choke down another piece of salt lick) that there were significant differences among all 3 saws. The ported 261 was significantly faster than the 346, and Brad's special 346 was faster than both of the others.

I apologize for confounding the issue earlier by slowing the 346 and 261 by adding in their 8-pin times.

Okay Brad you have sold me on the fact that I NEED a 261.
So I...
Sold my faithful 026
Call my dealer to order it up
Get a call back from my dealer and...
"sorry that isn't being distributed in this area yet. We will get new price pages after January 1st." No fault of the dealer they are good people, but WTF???

I told them I know someone who has had theirs for a week and is going to pick up their 2nd. They simply acted like this baffled them.

What do I do?

Oh yeah, and you ruined my chain inventory too. I am now convinced I should get an 18" bar and chain combo on this saw.

All kidding aside your write-up was great and Stihl should write you a nice big fat commission check.

Marty

You should be glad...your mouth is way prettier than Ned Beatty's.

Haha. Ya know that D28 was so pruty I'm thinking of unloading a few of these saws I don't need and go back up there and get that thing. Hate to dip in my piggie bank 2300 deep for something I merely want but dont really need at all. That thing has some fine wood in it. Hell even if I can't play it yet I can hang it on the wall and use it as a mirror,:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Haha. Ya know that D28 was so pruty I'm thinking of unloading a few of these saws I don't need and go back up there and get that thing. Hate to dip in my piggie bank 2300 deep for something I merely want but dont really need at all. That thing has some fine wood in it. Hell even if I can't play it yet I can hang it on the wall and use it as a mirror,:laugh::laugh::laugh:

That is steep, but certainly worth it. I'm guessing you'd rather attract the women that get more fluttery when they hear you play the guitar then they do when they hear you run a saw. Might be hard to find in your neck of the woods though.

As long as we're dealing with non-scientific comparisons, here's the competition for your D28:

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/z302bHUMokA?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/z302bHUMokA?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

This thread is long enough with information that benefits those who read it. Why do some of the members here decide to clutter it up with utter BS!

If you want to start a thread about garbage go to another forum and post. Perhaps one that tolerates getting WAY off topic, otherwise lets try and keep this thread on track guys.

Marty

That is steep, but certainly worth it. I'm guessing you'd rather attract the women that get more fluttery when they hear you play the guitar then they do when they hear you run a saw. Might be hard to find in your neck of the woods though.

As long as we're dealing with non-scientific comparisons, here's the competition for your D28:

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/z302bHUMokA?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/z302bHUMokA?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

I already seen that vid. The Hummer sounds great too. Seen one online for 4000.00 It don't sound 2 grand better to me but thats just me mind ya. The thing I don't care much for with the Hummer is how big it is, its wide. Be kinda hard for me to sit in my recliner and attempt to strum that thing. Would like to have one though, Gibson makes some great music makers for sure,:cheers::cheers::cheers:

So just got a call back from another dealer. He was told by his distributor that we won't be able to have a 261 in this area for a month. What is a guy with a serious case of CAD supposed to do?

Frustrated,
Marty

This thread is long enough with information that benefits those who read it. Why do some of the members here decide to clutter it up with utter BS!

If you want to start a thread about garbage go to another forum and post. Perhaps one that tolerates getting WAY off topic, otherwise lets try and keep this thread on track guys.

Marty

Ewwwwwwwwwwwwwww well cuse me sir, didn't know you owned the place. Wait a minute you don't do you, guess you will have to deal with it, I feel your pain. Seems to me maybe you need to find the whiner forum and then you can moan the blues all ya want, oh sorry, blues is pertain to what, not chainsaws. Instead of being a bonehead why not just skip over what you don't want to look at like everyone else does. This post had nothing to do with the 261 did it, yours didn't either, hint hint...

You play guitar by chance, :hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:

Marty

Somebody needs to call whine one one and get a whaaambulance! :phone:

1000 posts, 67 pages, and 35,319 views in 10 days, lol! Of course, if we editted out all the off topic posts, it'd only be about 10 pages. But what would be the fun in that:clap:

Reminds me of Da Jewel thread. We can take this one to a 1000 pages too. I can put of 500 pages of off topic by myself just scrapping with those that don't like it,:hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:

Teaching people to put a file to the chain every tank, a new chain every now and again, and a new sprocket ring every year will mean more to the average homeowner that Ed's charts on which saw is faster.

Truer words were never written...

...until these:

... iffin' ya can't play so well ... at least look good doin' it ... Brylcreem.

For the record, I think the D28 sounds better. I try not to listen though, because I can't afford either.

You can believe the numbers, just don't trust the dumbasses who put those numbers together. I think I got it right this time though. Hopefully this will make things right, and perhaps give Diesel his summary.

Thank you!

One nit-pick. Can you make the time scaling of the 261 graph the same please?

I've often wondered about teh placebo affect of the muffler mod. Louder is faster right?

Now to clear up one more thing, what was the difference in chains being used? Both .325? Both 3/8" Or as delivered?

Latest posts

Back