The MS261 is here!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dang, you don't let the grass grow under your feet do you?

Get your 026 whupped by a 346 and it is out the door! :hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:

Would that be the same door the 346 will be taking, now that the new king is here?:hmm3grin2orange:

Last edited:
As this thread winds down (yeah, fat chance of that :hmm3grin2orange: ) the one thing that I have found really humorous is all the people who have staunchly defended the 260 at every possible opportunity, still claiming it was the best 50cc saw out there, have suddenly jumped ship, admitting the 346 was a better saw, now that they can hang their hat on the 261.

I really like the new 261 and want to thank Brad for the time and effort he put into this thread. But, Anthony, there is no door in my 346's future! It is a great saw and I couldn't be happier with it.

I just finished all the mods on this 2nd 261. It has all of the same mods with the exception of still wearing the stock carb. I haven't had it in wood yet, but it's making the same RPMs as mine. If anything throttle response is even better yet. It also starts a little easier with this carb. I'll be putting it in wood to compare with mine with the bigger carb. It won't have the break-in time in it though that mine does.

BTW, squish on this one ended up at .018" without a gasket. I've not yet checked compression.

I just finished all the mods on this 2nd 261. It has all of the same mods with the exception of still wearing the stock carb. I haven't had it in wood yet, but it's making the same RPMs as mine. If anything throttle response is even better yet. It also starts a little easier with this carb. I'll be putting it in wood to compare with mine with the bigger carb. It won't have the break-in time in it though that mine does.

BTW, squish on this one ended up at .018" without a gasket. I've not yet checked compression.

Great to hear the stock carb is working well, that makes modding soooo much easier.

Brad, do you think the smaller venturi on the smaller carb is causing the snappier throttle response?

Brad, do you think the smaller venturi on the smaller carb is causing the snappier throttle response?

I believe so. Don't get me wrong, it's very good on mine, but excellent on this one. It also starts a little easier. I just fired it up after setting all night and it was running in three pulls, and wasn't cold natured at all after startup. Compression is already 190 PSI and it's never even seen wood yet.

Looking forward to the comparitive results of this new 261 in the same cant vs yours with the larger carb.

This new 261 will represent the standard of what you will port going forward for a standard woods port?

I believe so. Don't get me wrong, it's very good on mine, but excellent on this one. It also starts a little easier. I just fired it up after setting all night and it was running in three pulls, and wasn't cold natured at all after startup. Compression is already 190 PSI and it's never even seen wood yet.

I've really got to find the willpower to stop clicking into this threat before it's too late. BTW Brad, did you get that 346 you mentioned a while ago sold?

BTW Brad, did you get that 346 you mentioned a while ago sold?

It's still here. It won't last long though. I sell them pretty regularly. I get the saw for $465, mods are $250, and the unlimited coil is $40. That's $755 shipped to your door. That includes a 16" bar and chisel chain, shipped in the original box.

i still want to see a comparo of a stock 346 vs a stock 261 in consistant wood, about 15 cuts with each saw and the same operator. then MM and repeat. both saws are rated within .05 hp and i happen to believe that the manufacturers ratings are probably pretty close. i am not saying the 261 isn't faster, but there are enough descrepancies to make this celebratory crowning a bit premature. before we throw the 346 into the trash heap and crown a new king, lets get some better data.
Brad, i'm not pointing any fingers at you. i think you did the best you could. you thought you had a good cant, but you admit that it lacked consistancy. i appreciate your effort to give us a preview of a saw that 99% of us can't lay a finger on. keep up the great work.

i still want to see a comparo of a stock 346 vs a stock 261 in consistant wood, about 15 cuts with each saw and the same operator. then MM and repeat. both saws are rated within .05 hp and i happen to believe that the manufacturers ratings are probably pretty close. i am not saying the 261 isn't faster, but there are enough descrepancies to make this celebratory crowning a bit premature. before we throw the 346 into the trash heap and crown a new king, lets get some better data.
Brad, i'm not pointing any fingers at you. i think you did the best you could. you thought you had a good cant, but you admit that it lacked consistancy. i appreciate your effort to give us a preview of a saw that 99% of us can't lay a finger on. keep up the great work.

I agree, :) The 261 looks real good and I'm not a Stilh basher...But?

Also, my new 346 is a dog with only a 1/2 tank run through it, the old 346 will kick it's ass and eat it's lunch. But I know this will change. Maybe one saw takes longer, or responds different to break-in period???

Lot of variables.

The 346 did give my 0ld 026 a serious butt kicking. It reminded me of when I decided that my old faithful 041av had to go. The modern saws cut so much faster. It only takes an experience like last Saturday to make that sink in for me.

I can't say I didn't want to update the saw before to a 260 pro, but with the 261 it is a no brainer.

The only thing that is bugging me Wendall, is that we won't be able to do our own side by side comparison without a big variable. I'm going to put an 18" bar on mine to bridge the gap better between the 261 and my 25" bar on my 460.

Heck even "File" is thinking about selling his 345 and getting the 261.

Marty

There is absolutely no question which saw is strongest stock. There is a marked difference in them. There can't help but be with the compression difference.

There is absolutely no question which saw is strongest stock. There is a marked difference in them. There can't help but be with the compression difference.

:agree2:

That was never really in question, how much stronger was, it's looks like it's 11% faster in the cut. Does this mean it's 11% stronger? I doubt, but it's a noticeable difference.:cheers: Just because it's a little stronger doesn't mean it's the new king. Hi Nik.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back