The MS261 is here!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There is absolutely no question which saw is strongest stock. There is a marked difference in them. There can't help but be with the compression difference.

Looks like Brad found his creamsickle goggles again...:poke:

I would really like to run the 261 though.

:agree2:

That was never really in question, how much stronger was, it's looks like it's 11% faster in the cut. Does this mean it's 11% stronger? I doubt, but it's a noticeable difference.:cheers: Just because it's a little stronger doesn't mean it's the new king. Hi Nik.

It takes strength, ie torque/HP, to cut faster, does it not? Give it up, looser:rockn:

Put some 110 racing gas in her Andyshine and it'll have mo power for sure, and quit trolling the thread, Brad. lol

i still want to see a comparo of a stock 346 vs a stock 261 in consistant wood, about 15 cuts with each saw and the same operator. then MM and repeat. both saws are rated within .05 hp and i happen to believe that the manufacturers ratings are probably pretty close. i am not saying the 261 isn't faster, but there are enough descrepancies to make this celebratory crowning a bit premature. before we throw the 346 into the trash heap and crown a new king, lets get some better data.
Brad, i'm not pointing any fingers at you. i think you did the best you could. you thought you had a good cant, but you admit that it lacked consistancy. i appreciate your effort to give us a preview of a saw that 99% of us can't lay a finger on. keep up the great work.

The 261 is a hard pill to swallow, for a 346 lover. However, don't throw your 346 in the trash, sent it to me.:D

:agree2:

That was never really in question, how much stronger was, it's looks like it's 11% faster in the cut. Does this mean it's 11% stronger? I doubt, but it's a noticeable difference.:cheers: Just because it's a little stronger doesn't mean it's the new king. Hi Nik.

The 346 stock isn't 11% faster than the 260, stock. Yet, somehow it got the crown. The 346 is old news now; let it go, man, let it go.

As this thread winds down (yeah, fat chance of that :hmm3grin2orange: ) the one thing that I have found really humorous is all the people who have staunchly defended the 260 at every possible opportunity, still claiming it was the best 50cc saw out there, have suddenly jumped ship, admitting the 346 was a better saw, now that they can hang their hat on the 261.

I really like the new 261 and want to thank Brad for the time and effort he put into this thread. But, Anthony, there is no door in my 346's future! It is a great saw and I couldn't be happier with it.

I'll stand by the 260 as the best IMO. The 346 is a nice 'un, just never felt good to me. No mistake it had more power and I never argued that, some make it sound like 3-4hp difference though.:laugh: I'm going to buy a 261 but won't be selling my 026s, not one in particular anyway.:D If the 261 proves not to hold up, I can always fall back on old faithful.:clap:

Being a self admitted StihlHead, I bougth a 346xpne last fall, mm'd the saw and was extremely pleased with the saw. It's lightning throttle response and handling characteristics made it the best limb/ homeowner firewood saw I had run. I sung the praises of the saw on here as much as anyone.

Stopped by my Stihl dealer yesterday, had even heard of a 261, lol.
When he does get them in I will definetly give one a try. If the saw lives up to the hype, I'll be the first to trade in the 346. Not for the extra speed, but simply because I can stick a 3/8 18" bar on it and run the same chain set up I do on 80% of my firewood saws. It would be worth the convienence to me.

I do prefer the inboard clutch, the only gripe I have about the 346 is it falls over all the time. If I trade it's definetly not because of the Husky/Stihl branding as the 346 exceeded every expectation I had of the saw.

People need to take the "brand" glasses off. Competition is what keeps making saws better. What made Stihl create 261 to perform like it does,
prolly the way the 346 performed. Husky will prolly use the 261 as the benchmark to beat when they replace the 346. It's all good for the end user, we get a product that has improved performance and prolly will use less fuel.

Stihl certainly seems to have put the money and engineering in the line of "strato" saws. Hopefully Husky will be as successful. The competition drives innovation.

What about this 346?

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/4a2LxMagYlY?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/4a2LxMagYlY?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Latest posts

Back