The MS261 is here!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Picked up a MS261 late today. They have more (in Ohio where I am now)

Will put it in wood tomorrow and see how it feels. Looks fine so far.

:cheers:

I can always get more:) One of these is not paid for yet, but should be shortly. If you want it, I'm here. You can come run Mike's saw while you're at it:)

So what is the going rate for one of these new saws? My dealer says it will be awhile yet, and he couldn't even give me a price. Just curious how much they're fetchin'?

The Stihl Demo truck is coming in a few weeks, I would hope they have a 261 on board to try out.

Thanks,
Mike

Being a self admitted StihlHead, I bougth a 346xpne last fall, mm'd the saw and was extremely pleased with the saw. It's lightning throttle response and handling characteristics made it the best limb/ homeowner firewood saw I had run. I sung the praises of the saw on here as much as anyone.

Stopped by my Stihl dealer yesterday, had even heard of a 261, lol.
When he does get them in I will definetly give one a try. If the saw lives up to the hype, I'll be the first to trade in the 346. Not for the extra speed, but simply because I can stick a 3/8 18" bar on it and run the same chain set up I do on 80% of my firewood saws. It would be worth the convienence to me.

I do prefer the inboard clutch, the only gripe I have about the 346 is it falls over all the time. If I trade it's definetly not because of the Husky/Stihl branding as the 346 exceeded every expectation I had of the saw.

People need to take the "brand" glasses off. Competition is what keeps making saws better. What made Stihl create 261 to perform like it does,
prolly the way the 346 performed. Husky will prolly use the 261 as the benchmark to beat when they replace the 346. It's all good for the end user, we get a product that has improved performance and prolly will use less fuel.

Stihl certainly seems to have put the money and engineering in the line of "strato" saws. Hopefully Husky will be as successful. The competition drives innovation.

Great post!

Here's is the second 261 I've done. It's the same as mine, except wearing the stock carb. However, it's had 0 break-in. These are the very first cuts it has made. While there is a measurable difference, it still makes a screamin' 50cc saw. Both saws are cutting in the 5s in this Oak cant.

Replacing the carb is a considerable amount more work and costs, and is not part of your typical woods port. FYI, I will not be offering the larger carb mod. I don't have the carbs, or the time.

BTW, if you listen closely, right before the last cut I make with my saw, you can hear it hit the limiter. It's not a tuning issue though, because it' properly tuned when just off the limiter by a hair.

The stock carb is first, and then mine.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/UWHvrS8cjuA?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US&amp;rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/UWHvrS8cjuA?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US&amp;rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Last edited:
Here's is the second 261 I've done. It's the same as mine, except wearing the stock carb. However, it's had 0 break-in. These are the very first cuts it has made. While there is a measurable difference, it still makes a screamin' 50cc saw. Both saws are cutting in the 5s in this Oak cant.

Replacing the carb is a considerable amount more work and costs, and is not part of your typical woods port. FYI, I will not be offering the larger carb mod. I don't have the carbs, or the time.

BTW, if you listen closely, right before the last cut I make with my saw, you can hear it hit the limiter. It's not a tuning issue though, because it' properly tuned when just off the limiter by a hair.

I can see the difference but it does still cut strong. I'm guessing it will improve too as it breaks in. Impressive saws.

.....which leads me to the question......Are you going to keep the larger carb on yours or go ahead and buy a stock carb to put back on it?

I was at my local Stihl dealer today buying a new blower and asked them about the MS261 and they had no clue either. Kinda funny how this is such a secret. The had 2 MS260's on the shelf though....I guess that is why.

I have stayed out of this thread as long as possible.........but, crap, for a 50cc saw, that thing is hauling ass through that wood. I thought I had a nice running 026, but it's nothing like that!

I don't need another saw, but I'm getting one of those just for the hell of it.

Tony

Back