The MS261 is here!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So...if you want me to run some cursory analysis, just send the data or post them. From the sounds of it, I'm guessing you suspect I'll try to do something evil with them. Believe it or not, it is easier to mislead without an analysis. Even if you are not suspicious, I'd see nothing suspicious about you not providing the data. They are, after all, your data.

As I said before, I appreciate the effort that went into doing the comparison.

Ed I don't think you're a liar, I would trust your findings. However I highly doubt you'll go out and buy two new saws, than port and test them. Can you port saws at all? If you can port saw and do buy a new 346/261 than test them, more power to you.

I've read every post in this thread BTW, and your arrogant thoughts and assumptions persists. Your error was not minor! it was quite large, and you're doing exactly what you're accusing me of doing. Anyone that's ever tested a saw know you have to put the saw under different loads, sometimes the saw will cut faster sometimes slower.

Anyway I'm done, as it's pointless to debate with a brick wall.

Last edited:
Ed I don't think you're a liar, I would trust your findings. However I highly doubt you'll go out and buy two new saws, than port and test them. Can you port saws at all? If you can port saw and do buy a new 346/261 than test them, more power to you.

I've read every post in this thread BTW, and your arrogant thoughts and assumptions persists. Your error was not minor! it was quite large, and you're doing exactly what you're accusing me of doing. Anyone that's ever tested a saw know you have to put the saw under different loads, sometimes the saw will cut faster sometimes slower.

Anyway I'm done, as it's pointless to debate with a brick wall.

What error? The first comparison was a cockup, but I caught that, and it had nothing to do with the muffler mods. It's the second set of graphs Brad was complaining about, not the first.

More importantly, I never claimed they were anything more than times from the videos. I didn't post the videos, I only timed what was offered. I received assurances that the mm saw shown was one of the slow runs. Fine.

Different loads are fine, varying conditions are fine. I know how much variation there is, which is why a number like "10%" doesn't mean squat without an error term.

Given all the confounding factors you described because you were certain I didn't understand them, do you really think a 2% difference like Brad reported after the first 261 mod is even measurable?

That's the point I'm trying to make. Saying "it's not scientific" and then tossing out percentages is having your cake and eating it too.

261 is stronger? I'm sure it is. If you want to toss out numbers though, there are steps you can take to make those numbers meaningful

Like I said, I'll be glad to run them.

So...if you want me to run some cursory analyses, just send the data or post them. From the sounds of it, I'm guessing you suspect I'll try to do something evil with them. Believe it or not, it is easier to mislead without an analysis. Even if you are not suspicious, I'd see nothing suspicious about you not providing the data. They are, after all, your data.

Not at all, Ed. It's just that I simply don't care to take it to that level, just like most don't care enough about a 50cc saw to do what I have here. I don't think most of us saw nuts care about scientific data analysis in a saw comparison. You do, that's fine. All I cared about was finding out what was in the 261, what I could get out of it, and how it compares to a 346. I did exactly that. That's all I care about.

The problem with all of this, is that the assumptions were wrong that you made to prove how inaccurate the data is. You assumed that all cuts shown were to demonstrate the fastest cuts the saw is capable of. That simply wasn't the case. Therefore your proof that the testing is wrong, was built on a bad foundation.

Given all the confounding factors you described because you were certain I didn't understand them, do you really think a 2% difference like Brad reported after the first 261 mod is even measurable?

That's the point I'm trying to make. Saying "it's not scientific" and then tossing out percentages is having your cake and eating it too.

261 is stronger? I'm sure it is. If you want to toss out numbers though, there are steps you can take to make those numbers meaningful

Like I said, I'll be glad to run them.

Ed, what you don't know is how many cuts were made and how I came to my conclusions. You're making a lot of assumptions without knowing the facts. The bottom line is, I'm not interested in posting all my data and proving to you, or anyone, that my findings are scientifically accurate. You can either take my findings, or leave them. It's a TON of work to do what I did, and I'm simply not interested in proving my findings to anyone. It is what it is, plain and simple. Take it or leave it.

Would you please help me time this and come up with some meaningful numbers that will help me understand.

attachment.php

watch him squeeze all the fun out of this

I have been watching for hours, and she just keeps doing it over and over again. She doesn't even get tired. My eyes hurt and I am so sore, I just don't understand.

Not at all, Ed. It's just that I simply don't care to take it to that level, just like most don't care enough about a 50cc saw to do what I have here. I don't think most of us saw nuts care about scientific data analysis in a saw comparison. You do, that's fine. All I cared about was finding out what was in the 261, what I could get out of it, and how it compares to a 346. I did exactly that. That's all I care about.

All I was interested in was the comparison as well. I just hoped the numbers you worked so hard to collect could be used quantitatively instead of qualitatively.

The problem with all of this, is that the assumptions were wrong that you made to prove how inaccurate the data is. You assumed that all cuts shown were to demonstrate the fastest cuts the saw is capable of. That simply wasn't the case. Therefore your proof that the testing is wrong, was built on a bad foundation.

Lost me here. I wasn't trying to show how inaccurate the data were. Can't do that without accurate numbers. What I showed was not proof of anything, but certainly in no way addressed the testing. It was a comparison of average cut times. The only assumption I made was that you were showing representative cuts. In other words, if you were showing "under heavy load" and "under light load" as demonstrations for one saw, you'd show the same comparisons for both saws. If that were the case, the comparisons would have been valid.

IT'S NOT ABOUT THE TESTING. It is about the comparison. The error I'm interested in testing isn't experimental error, it's just math speak for variation from cut to cut due to uncontrollable factors.

Ed, what you don't know is how many cuts were made and how I came to my conclusions. You're making a lot of assumptions without knowing the facts.

I've asked repeatedly how many cuts were made. My not knowing the answe isn't due to a lack of effort on my part. The only assumption I made was that the videos you posted were representative of the saws being shown.

The bottom line is, I'm not interested in posting all my data and proving to you, or anyone, that my findings are scientifically accurate. You can either take my findings, or leave them. It's a TON of work to do what I did, and I'm simply not interested in proving my findings to anyone. It is what it is, plain and simple. Take it or leave it.

Fair enough. Like I said before, they are your data. But for the record, it has nothing to do with scientific accuracy. Just a proper comparison of the numbers you did a ton of work to generate.

Latest posts

Back