The neighbors are burning railroad ties

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
...i am sure the modern treatment probably has more than just coal tar in it...
Actually it doesn't... it's still one of the best wood preservatives we have. Coal-tar creosote is not just a water proofing, it's also a highly effective insecticide/fungicide. The Railroad Commission specifies only 100% coal-tar creosote may be used to treat railroad ties.
Now, what those ties pick up after being laid down is another thing; although, if the creosote is doing it's job, it shouldn't amount to sour owl squat. That's the whole point... to seal-up the wood... stop it from absorbing stuff and kill stuff trying to break it down.

Sorry I offended you, Olyman

Are you saying, you don't know more now than you did 25 years ago.

Or were you being sarcastic?
your statement,,puts you on a pedestal above others...........you didn't offend me at all,, cause you sit on a stool same as me and others,, i think....ill ask gypo....

We had 60+ MPH wind gusts today... this SUCKS‼
Or more appropriately, instead of SUCKS... "this blows" :D :happy::buttkick:

Yep, had to re-stack some myself. I have 2x4s propped up against another stack to try to prevent toppling until the frost comes out of the north side. East/west rows are kinda prone to this problem I'm finding, south side melts and turns to mush, north side is still heaved up and still really solid. :rare2: Not to mention the south side drys and shrinks quicker so the stack already had a bit of a Detroit lean to it...I have been trying to knock things back inline a bit with a small sledge...but whacking on each split in a 50' x 5' row really makes the ole carpal tunnel scream :crazy2:

So is wood smoke and non-visible emissions from burning wood.
And not just campfires... your new-fangled, elitist stove will kill ya' faster than a speeding bullet can.

http://www.ehhi.org/woodsmoke/health_effects.shtml

www.epa.gov/burnwise/pdfs/woodsmoke_health_effects_jan07.pdf

We don't??
How the heck do you keep the dust down in August??

We do??
I don't... and as long as it costs me extra to recycle I ain't gonna'.

Sometimes I wonder... I really do.
Puttin' an "education label" on propaganda don't make it education... it's still just propaganda.

So the guy who spends more time in hear bashing the epa than anyone else now posts links to their site as support for his argument? Hmmmm

...thats an impressive amount of BTU's you have there Whitespider .
That's about 6-cord sittin' there in the yard (5 cord Bur Oak, 1 cord elm))... which is about what I burned this past season.
I've got about another cord of elm on the ground in rounds waitin' to be split and stacked.
So I'm figurin' I'm pretty much set for one more winter (including a bit of a cushion).

I'm in a bit of a conundrum right now... we're not sure how much longer will be here, and we don't know where will be when we're not here.
Should I make more firewood?? Should I not?? If I do, am I gonna' wanna' move it if it come to that?? (Remember... my pickup ain't never hauled any firewood :D)
I'm sort'a on the fence... and can't decide which side to jump off (shrug)

Creosote works for a good hog dip to kill hog lice and mange and as far as I'm concerned that's all its good for. I don't think it was ever intended for breathing.

So the guy who spends more time in hear bashing the epa now posts links to their site as support for his argument? Hmmmm

I believe you're lookin' at that all wrong jrider.
I never claimed to agree with those links... that weren't anything even near my argument.
My point was to illustrate the double standard being used by (a few on) the other side...

"It's a horrible, selfish, inconsiderate, reckless thing to burn creosote treated railroad ties in a wood fired appliance because the EPA says the smoke will kill ya' faster than a speedin' bullet."
BUT‼
"It's perfectly OK to burn plain ol' firewood in a wood fired appliance even though the EPA says the smoke will kill ya' faster than a speedin' bullet."

At least I'm consistent; I say the EPA is full'a owl crap on both counts... I ain't pickin' 'n' choosin' parts that only conveniently fit my purpose.

Not trying to start nothing but do some of you actually think it's ok to breathe the fumes from railroad ties. I would politely ask the man to stop and would even offer to give him some wood. Everything now would depend on his reaction. If he is polite and excepts my offer, I would help him load some wood. If he got nasty........ well you know.:D

That's about 6-cord sittin' there in the yard (5 cord Bur Oak, 1 cord elm))... which is about what I burned this past season.
I've got about another cord of elm on the ground in rounds waitin' to be split and stacked.
So I'm figurin' I'm pretty much set for one more winter (including a bit of a cushion).

I'm in a bit of a conundrum right now... we're not sure how much longer will be here, and we don't know where will be when we're not here.
Should I make more firewood?? Should I not?? If I do, am I gonna' wanna' move it if it come to that?? (Remember... my pickup ain't never hauled any firewood :D)
I'm sort'a on the fence... and can't decide which side to jump off (shrug)
If you stay on that fence too long you're gonna end up with a crease in your ass.

Not trying to start nothing but do some of you actually think it's ok to breathe the fumes from railroad ties.
I'm assuming you mean creosote laden smoke, not "fumes"... "fumes" would be the volatiles evaporating from fresh rendered creosote, which would not be present in railroad ties.
Well... let me ask you... is it "OK" to breath any smoke?? And what do you mean by "OK"??

The "listed" health effects from breathing (coal-tar) creosote laden smoke is identical to breathing wood smoke (and many other smokes)... there ain't even any difference in the severity or length of the effects. Basically, it makes you cough, and can irritate existing respiratory problems... sucking large quantities of it in over a long enough time may cause you to develop a respiratory condition such as asthma or COPD. No different than any smoke.
So... if it's "OK" to breath wood smoke, then it's also "OK" to breath (coal-tar) creosote smoke.
But... if it's "not OK" to breath wood smoke, then it's also "not OK" to breath (coal-tar) creosote smoke.
Sort'a depends on how ya' wanna' look at it... don't it??

Here's the big scare...
(Coal-tar) creosote is a suspected carcinogen (wood dust is a known carcinogen)... there have been isolated incidences of workers handling (coal-tar) creosote over many years developing skin and (strangely) scrotum cancer (maybe they scratch their nutz without washin' their hands :D). As I understand it, no deaths have been attributed to handling (coal-tar) creosote. I'll say it again, suspected carcinogen, there is no hard evidence proving a carcinogenic effect on humans... and there ain't any evidence at all (not even circumstantial) showing that breathin' smoke from burning (coal-tar) creosote is any more "unhealthy" than breathin' smoke from burning wood, leaves, or other such.

Yeah... it smells bad (to most people)... but so does burning wet leaves. Then again, some people say wood smoke smells bad. Personally, the smell of an oil furnace is more offensive to me.
(Coal-tar) creosote is... well... bituminous (called soft or black) coal.
The smoke from burning it is... well... the smoke from burning coal.
Throwing a railroad tie in your OWB is... well... throwing wood and a small amount of (soft) coal in your OWB.
It ain't any more nefarious than that.
And yes, I've burned small amounts of soft coal and (coal-tar) creosote treated wood in my appliances (shrug)... I didn't die, but I did stay warm.

Back